Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

670(Q49 V34) Need advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
670(Q49 V34) Need advice [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 08:37
Hello,
Recently, I have took my real GMAT test and score 670. Disappointing...
I have been preparing for GMAT for two months and at the end I was really exhausted. Just to illustrate, at the last two days before my test I did not want to do anything for my preparation. For me it was more about psychological test rather than mental one. So for now I need some time to relax and your advice in order to move further.
As you can see my weak area is verbal and especially SC. What I did to improve it: All questions in OG 12 (first attempt -48% wrong), all questions in Verbal Guide (34% wrong) , MGMAT SC. Also I redid all wrong questions and the result was nearly 30% wrong. When I have encountered with GMAT Prep questions the result was killing - more than half SC wrong, 2 mistakes in RC, 2 mistakes in CR. I did not pay much time to CR or RC. So when I took second GMATprep test there are only :) 6 mistakes in SC, 4 in RC and 2 in CR. The overall rate was 34. I undestand that I miss smth really important in my preparation, so please give me advice how can I improve my score. I understand that my RC not perfect but my SC is just awfull,so first of all I want to fix it, and only then prepare for RC.
As for quant - I was really terrified by running of time in the real test, so when I understand that question is rather taught, I guess. But honestly my Geometry is quite weak, especially in case taught questions. Also I think I am not really good in sets questions. So could anyone tell me where I can encounter with this types of questions. I heard a lot about GMATclub Challenge. Is it worth in my case?
My goal is 720+ with strong quant 50+, because I want to apply on Masters in Finance program.
And also I want to thank all guys on this forum, your help during my preparation was priceless.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 286 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: 670(Q49 V34) Need advice [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
Now that you identified your weak areas, maybe it'll be useful to focus only in these topics. In http://www.gmatproblems.com/ you can purchase math questions by topic, look for "Individual Sets".

Good luck.

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 670(Q49 V34) Need advice [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 11:52
Hello Friend.

after reading your post .. What I can suggest is that although you have solved the questions of OG but you are not sure why answer is correct. You may know answer by heart but do not remember what is logic behind it.

GMAT test your logic. hence quality of questions matters not quantity of questions. As it is very rare that you will see a questions which you have solved during your preparations.

Have you gone through Manhatten SC guide .It is quite good. Also when you solved questions in second shot .....did you note down the reasons why this questions are wrong what is rule.... have you seen similar questions in past ...try to recall.

Ex. generally Being is incorrect...or if there is a modifying phrase in starting of question then it should be followed by a noun which is modified.. or if idiom is used.....

Also try to keep a error log.

By the way what was your score in GMATPREP. GEnerally it gives a good idea of what may be your expected score.

In this website you also have a good tool. Gmat score estimator. You can put your score and check result. If you did not write eassay and argument during preparation and if you select your efficient poor + your GMAT prep score..It will predict near to your actual result. you can try that also. but in the end it is tool not official score card.

Also have you also practiced essay and arguments while writing full lenth exam which is escapade by most of people. If not then they may also be responsible for your low score.

Also you said you was just fed up with your preparations in two months....if that had been case why did not you planned for a night with friends or a short trip to somewhere just to get relax and refreshed. It is quite hard to keep oneself motivated.

Never the less everything is possible as far as you are optimistic and ready to conquer the world.

Take a rest for few days and think about your future plan what you want to do.

There are so many good GMAT strategy questions posted in this forum. just go through it. they are quite usefull.

In the end best of luck for your future exam.

Bye
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: 670(Q49 V34) Need advice [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 22:22
saruba wrote:
Now that you identified your weak areas, maybe it'll be useful to focus only in these topics. In http://www.gmatproblems.com/ you can purchase math questions by topic, look for "Individual Sets".

Good luck.

Thank you, Saruba, for your response!
Well, actually I did extreme challenges from this site. Well, my opinion it was not really useful. There are a lot of probobility problems, but I did not encounter with any single probability question on my real GMAT exam. Saruba, could you tell me Extreme Geometry problem is useful? I mean, do they really hard and comparable with GMAT one?
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: 670(Q49 V34) Need advice [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 22:43
Thank you for your response, mjain!

After all, I think you are right. I did not REALLY know why the answer is right or wrong. Sometimies my mistakes was due to careless, sometimes I messed up rules. Well, I am not native speaker and I did not practise english grammar a lot during my life so it was almost a new field for me.

I agree with you, GMAT prep result was really similar with the real test results. So GMAT prep is really good predictor, maybe math was more challenging, but not really much.

I try to relax and continue my journey. Thank you for advices.
mjain wrote:
Hello Friend.

after reading your post .. What I can suggest is that although you have solved the questions of OG but you are not sure why answer is correct. You may know answer by heart but do not remember what is logic behind it.

GMAT test your logic. hence quality of questions matters not quantity of questions. As it is very rare that you will see a questions which you have solved during your preparations.

Have you gone through Manhatten SC guide .It is quite good. Also when you solved questions in second shot .....did you note down the reasons why this questions are wrong what is rule.... have you seen similar questions in past ...try to recall.

Ex. generally Being is incorrect...or if there is a modifying phrase in starting of question then it should be followed by a noun which is modified.. or if idiom is used.....

Also try to keep a error log.

By the way what was your score in GMATPREP. GEnerally it gives a good idea of what may be your expected score.

In this website you also have a good tool. Gmat score estimator. You can put your score and check result. If you did not write eassay and argument during preparation and if you select your efficient poor + your GMAT prep score..It will predict near to your actual result. you can try that also. but in the end it is tool not official score card.

Also have you also practiced essay and arguments while writing full lenth exam which is escapade by most of people. If not then they may also be responsible for your low score.

Also you said you was just fed up with your preparations in two months....if that had been case why did not you planned for a night with friends or a short trip to somewhere just to get relax and refreshed. It is quite hard to keep oneself motivated.

Never the less everything is possible as far as you are optimistic and ready to conquer the world.

Take a rest for few days and think about your future plan what you want to do.

There are so many good GMAT strategy questions posted in this forum. just go through it. they are quite usefull.

In the end best of luck for your future exam.

Bye
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: 670(Q49 V34) Need advice [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 05:11
Let me take this one.
I found the Geometry and word problems challenge set of gmathacks really helpful. Espc the DS section is awesome.

over2u wrote:
saruba wrote:

Good luck.

Thank you, Saruba, for your response!
Well, actually I did extreme challenges from this site. Well, my opinion it was not really useful. There are a lot of probobility problems, but I did not encounter with any single probability question on my real GMAT exam. Saruba, could you tell me Extreme Geometry problem is useful? I mean, do they really hard and comparable with GMAT one?

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Re: 670(Q49 V34) Need advice   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2009, 05:11