Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

670 to 770

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

670 to 770 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 20:50
This post received
KUDOS
Well. I had my exam today and thought i would share my GMAT experience.

Please pardon my spelling / grammar mistakes long day...

Length of study: ~4 months
Materials used: Kaplan Premier, OG, OG Math supplement, Full MGMAT series, Kaplan 800

Study History:
I started my introduction to the GMAT through the Kaplan Premier book. It was a fairly decent intro to the test but i found that the kaplan math questions tend to be a little simpler then the real thing. Cover to cover it took me a few weeks to go through the entire book. I used the online materials such as the weekly quizzes to acclimate myself to answering questions on the computer.

I decided to follow the advice of the GMAT Club community and use MGMAT series for the main body of my study plan.

After my initial intro to the GMAT through KAPLAN i decided to test myself against the first MGMAT CAT.

First score was: 670 (Q44/V37)

I clearly needed to do a lot of work.

I walked through the MGMAT books one by one. During the week ( after work ) i would go through the body of a book and then take a practice exam on saturday. I purposely left some OG questions untouched so i can revisit the topics later on in my study plan.

My MGMAT scores:

CAT 2: 700 (Q43/V42)
CAT 3: 700 (Q47/V38)
CAT 4: 750 (Q48/V45)
CAT 5: 730 (Q48/V42)
CAT 6: 780 (Q51/V45)

Not really sure why that last one went so well. My theory is that the MGMAT folks try to boost your confidence on the last exam by giving you an easier question mix... but thats just a theory.

I firmly believe that the MGMAT math sections tend to be tougher then the real thing. This has been said on other posts before. There are just so many back to back, tough, time consuming calculations. I was fairly strapped for time on almost every MGMAT math section. if you are having issues on the MGMAT math then dont worry. i believe that the company over prepares you for the math.

After going through all of the books I decided to start the cycle over again just to refresh my memory on the earlier topics. I completed all of the unfinished OG questions. it is a fairly good strategy especially if your study plan is fairly long like mine was. Sad to say i had to relearn a few tricks specifically out of the number properties book since that was the first book that i covered.

Now as exam time neared i decided to use the two official exams given out by GMAC for my last two saturday practice runs and the KAPLAN 800 book for weekday material.

My GMAT practice test results:

CAT 1: 770 (Q50/V forgot )
CAT 2: 780 (Q50/V forgot )

These tests went fairly well for me, perhaps too well. I felt that a large portion of my test prep material was built around these tests so it is very likely that my scores were artificially inflated. For example a few sentence correction questions reminded me a lot of questions i saw in the MGMAT material.

The Kaplan 800 book was largely a waste of 24$. Once again the advice offered on GMAT Club was right on the money ( no pun intended ). Again this has been said in other posts. The books difficulty is nowhere near the level advertised. One can basically sleepwalk through the math section. While this may be good for self confidence i feel that the book does not deliver what you need at the late stage of your study plan.

My final performance was fairly decent relative to what i got on the practice exams:

Actual GMAT: 770 (Q51/V44)

Verbal could have gone better. Not really sure what happened there but it probably has something to do with sentence correction. Sad but what can you do..

Well thank you all for all of the useful information.

I intend to apply to school in about 2 years. Hopefully my scores will be good until then but well see. I intend to use the B-School part of GMAT Club and this time i will be asking plenty of questions.

Dream school: Booth

Again thanks for the info everyone. Let me know if you have any questions.

YaP
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 326

Kudos [?]: 1574 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 670 to 770 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 22:07
Expert's post
Congrats and good luck with application!

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 670 to 770 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 03:02
Thank you for the debrief. And I also think you have very good educational background to reach this point in a only 4 months

Posted from my mobile device Image
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 466 [0], given: 523

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 670 to 770 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:06
Thanks for sharing with us )

gooood luck!

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1983

Kudos [?]: 6411 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 670 to 770 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:15
Expert's post
Congratulations - fantastic improvement!!!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: 670 to 770 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:56
Great score! Congratulations and good luck in your future application! Two years is something, but I believe that getting a top score now gives you more time for building the rest of your app, which can only be a good thing. Congrats!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: 670 to 770 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 10:01
Congrats, that is very impressive. I would be curious to know your background, as well as if you are a native speaker or not, as you did very well given the time span.
Good luck with your applications!

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Re: 670 to 770   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2010, 10:01