Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680/3.1 GPA Glassblower Needs Your Advise on Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

680/3.1 GPA Glassblower Needs Your Advise on Schools [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 21:02
First, thanks so much for your time. If you could look at my information below and give any recommendations for programs that would be a good fit I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a bit of a non-traditional background and have spent the majority of my working career in the non-profit sector (outlined below.) The idea of having a mission other than simply making money is very important to me and is something I want to pursue in the future. I am interested in pursuing an MBA to to gain the knowledge necessary to successfully run a non-profit or socially conscious business in the future (post mba.) :)

Basic stats: 32/F/American

GMAT: 680 V36 M46 retaking in August

Work experience:
I picked glassblowing up as hobby in college and upon graduation decided to make it a career. On average it takes 10,000 hours (5 years of 40 hours/week) to become proficient. I spent my first three years out of college applying for and being granted scholarships for classes, sleeping on couches, working for free or room and board just to gain the skills needed to be competent enough to be paid. I now work for the leading glass museum in the world in the marketing department as a team leader, one of six full time glassblowing demonstrators and the first fulltime female glassblower in the museums history.
Among other things, my job consists of managing shows and demonstrators, and representing the museum at remote venues around the world (15 projects, led 8.)
The museum is partnered with a cruise line and my main focus for the last five years has been setting up and running glassblowing demonstrations onboard. My job includes maintenance, logistics, and managing personal onboard. I also created the training manual, trained many of the present managers, and worked onboard with 60+ different nationalities in multiple countries across the globe to ensure the smooth running of the world’s first glassblowing show at sea. I’m also occasionally called upon to teach classes and do media interviews.
I worked for the museum for four years part-time before being hired fulltime five years ago. Prior to working for the museum, I was an independently employed artist and worked for other artists and craft schools across the country.
My only non-glass related employment since college graduation was a brief part time job teaching GRE and SAT prep.

Education:
Cornell University, 3.1 BS Design and Environmental Analysis. I went to Cornell when I was 17 and spent a year in the engineering school before transferring into a major which I later found to be uninspiring and also played four years of varsity softball (hence the low GPA)

Extracurricular activities:
Glassblowing
Co-captain of the Cornell Varsity Softball –played all 4 years
Hiking- including summiting Kilimanjaro
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: 680/3.1 GPA Glassblower Needs Your Advise on Schools [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 01:39
Expert's post
Netsy19 wrote:
First, thanks so much for your time. If you could look at my information below and give any recommendations for programs that would be a good fit I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a bit of a non-traditional background and have spent the majority of my working career in the non-profit sector (outlined below.) The idea of having a mission other than simply making money is very important to me and is something I want to pursue in the future. I am interested in pursuing an MBA to to gain the knowledge necessary to successfully run a non-profit or socially conscious business in the future (post mba.) :)

Basic stats: 32/F/American

GMAT: 680 V36 M46 retaking in August

Work experience:
I picked glassblowing up as hobby in college and upon graduation decided to make it a career. On average it takes 10,000 hours (5 years of 40 hours/week) to become proficient. I spent my first three years out of college applying for and being granted scholarships for classes, sleeping on couches, working for free or room and board just to gain the skills needed to be competent enough to be paid. I now work for the leading glass museum in the world in the marketing department as a team leader, one of six full time glassblowing demonstrators and the first fulltime female glassblower in the museums history.
Among other things, my job consists of managing shows and demonstrators, and representing the museum at remote venues around the world (15 projects, led 8.)
The museum is partnered with a cruise line and my main focus for the last five years has been setting up and running glassblowing demonstrations onboard. My job includes maintenance, logistics, and managing personal onboard. I also created the training manual, trained many of the present managers, and worked onboard with 60+ different nationalities in multiple countries across the globe to ensure the smooth running of the world’s first glassblowing show at sea. I’m also occasionally called upon to teach classes and do media interviews.
I worked for the museum for four years part-time before being hired fulltime five years ago. Prior to working for the museum, I was an independently employed artist and worked for other artists and craft schools across the country.
My only non-glass related employment since college graduation was a brief part time job teaching GRE and SAT prep.

Education:
Cornell University, 3.1 BS Design and Environmental Analysis. I went to Cornell when I was 17 and spent a year in the engineering school before transferring into a major which I later found to be uninspiring and also played four years of varsity softball (hence the low GPA)

Extracurricular activities:
Glassblowing
Co-captain of the Cornell Varsity Softball –played all 4 years
Hiking- including summiting Kilimanjaro

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I was traveling.

You have a fascinating story. I am concerned, however, that your academics are not competitive at Stanford. A significantly higher GMAT would help you, but you also have what is for Stanford a below average GPA. Nonetheless, if you raise your GMAT and Stanford is your dream school, you should certainly apply. But also apply to other programs that support your goals and where you will be more comopetitive. Consider Georgetown, Yale, and Notre Dame, Ross, Cornell.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: 680/3.1 GPA Glassblower Needs Your Advise on Schools [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 19:52
I travel quite a bit myself, so I completely understand. Thanks so much for all the information. I'm going to be taking the gmat again in August and am hoping for a better score. I'll definitely take a look at the schools you've recommended. Thanks so much again!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: 680/3.1 GPA Glassblower Needs Your Advise on Schools [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 04:40
Expert's post
Netsy19 wrote:
I travel quite a bit myself, so I completely understand. Thanks so much for all the information. I'm going to be taking the gmat again in August and am hoping for a better score. I'll definitely take a look at the schools you've recommended. Thanks so much again!

You're most welcome.

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog