Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 GMAT, ~4y exp, currently @ african NGO start up

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

680 GMAT, ~4y exp, currently @ african NGO start up [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 08:21
Hi there,
My main question is if my experience and extracurriculars can offset my lowish-GMAT (especially quant) for the top schools. GPA is also on the lower side.
I scored a 680 (85%; V:83%, Q:71%).
Undergrad in Business Administration from leading European university (Top10). GPA probably in the 65-75%-ile percentile. Did an exchange semester in another European country.

Work:
- Business Management position for 2y at bulge bracket bank in home country (providing analytical, administrational and other support for senior Mgmt). Great management exposure, top performance reviews, early promotion. Whole thing was in the client facing unit for clients from some emerging markets .

After things were pretty much done at the bank,

- I joined microfinance startup NGO in Sub-Saharan Africa in Sep 2012 to help building it, pro bono work, committed for at least six months. Had always dreamed of the challenge to work in developing country.

Other:
- 3 months internship at 2nd tier management consulting company (before the bank).
- Voluntary member for 9 months full time in prestigious student initiative (incl. management of 60 students for a 2w period), otherwise mainly relationship management with business leaders.
- Co-founded a successful online gaming team in my teenage years (incl. management of corporate sponsors and 20 staff members). Grew to a considerable size.
- 1 year military service (rank: sergeant, lead a small group over a couple of months)

Have quite adventurous personality: Do a lot of outdoor-sports (kayaking, mountaineering etc.) and backpacked through some special destinations (e.g. Somalia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia etc.).

Goal: Very fascinated with emerging and developing countries, hope to join and lead (or maybe build, at a later stage) a company that either consults companies that enter these markets or finances local companies (e.g. through PE). To put it more visionary: Helping to transform underdeveloped economies.

I narrowed it down to a couple of schools, but am struggling to put them in the "stretch, match, safe"-baskets): HBS, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Yale, LBS, INSEAD, NYU.

In case most of these schools would be a stretch, Ross, Cornell and Fuqua are on my extended list.
Can consider other leading schools but ruled them out after my initial research for different reasons.

Would extremely appreciate your insightful feedback!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 680 GMAT, ~4y exp, currently @ african NGO start up [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 16:38
Expert's post
I think you should be competitive at your target schools. American schools don't get a lot of European applicants, so it becomes somewhat of an exotic differentiator since you would bring a very different perspective than the typical American student. Your experience is broad and your leadership is demonstrable. Your extracurriculars do indeed say a lot about how passionate you are to be involved, a very desirable trait to adcoms. Also, your GMAT is good. You don't have to have a top score to get in and your score is well within the 80% range.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: 680 GMAT, ~4y exp, currently @ african NGO start up [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 23:18
Wow, encouraging. Many thanks!