Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 GMAT Score: Retake the Test?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

680 GMAT Score: Retake the Test? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 14:22
Expert's post
From Dr. Shel Watts, http://www.mbaadmit.com

[highlight]Sign up for our Buy-1-Get-a-2nd-Set-Free Special - Valid until the end of October 2011.

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.
[/highlight]

With a 680, Should I Retake the GMAT?

Many candidates study hard for the GMAT. They go into the exam hoping for a score in the 700s and are disappointed to learn their score is in the 600s instead. When the score is in the high-600s, I often hear candidates struggle with a question about whether to re-take the exam. What is my advice, they ask.

Well, the advice I offer to an inquiring candidate will be very candidate-specific. The ideal answer depends on who the candidate is (gender, age, citizenship, ethnicity, industry, etc.) and how strong the candidate’s overall record is (GPA, undergraduate institution, alternative transcript, professional successes, community leadership, etc.). It is difficult to give general advice about this, but here are some guidelines about how you can think about this.

A score of 680 can keep many candidates within shooting range of top schools like Harvard and Wharton. So, in considering whether to re-take the test, you must think about the impact if your GMAT score goes lower. If you receive a higher GMAT score, that would be wonderful and your application will get a boost. But, if you receive a second GMAT score that is less than 680, it will have the impact of validating the first score. If you also have a lower-than-ideal GPA, the second low score can also be interpreted as providing "evidence" that your lower-than-ideal GPA was an accurate indicator of your abilities and potential. You will then potentially have two weak spots in your application.

Re-taking the GMAT with a 680 already in hand, therefore, can be risky. If you decide to re-take it, make sure you have already taken some prep course that has helped you understand how to test well on the GMAT. Make sure to also take full mock tests and project your score, and re-test after you are consistently scoring in a higher range that you find acceptable.

For many top schools, 680 will be solidly in their range of GMAT scores for matriculating students. For many candidates, if they decide not to re-test and to keep the 680 as their highest score, they can continue to establish their strong skills and potential through references to their strong professional performance in the MBA essays. Outstanding recommendations can also do a great deal to help the cause.

Your best choice in a situation like this will be highly dependent on the specifics of your candidacy, but the above can provide you more to think about as you make your decision.

Best wishes,
Shelly Watts
MBA Admit.com

http://www.mbaadmit.com
Email: mbaadmit@aol.com

Why pay $3700 for assistance with 1 application? Our "Early Bird" options: $925 for 1 application (Basic Package) and a Buy-1-Get-1-Set-Free at the regular Gold Package Rate. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.

Dr. Shel Watts is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 680 GMAT Score: Retake the Test? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 06:45
If you believe that after a month or more days, you will get a higher score.You can retake. Do you know the reason why you got this score?
Re: 680 GMAT Score: Retake the Test?   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2011, 06:45