Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 in the first attempt.Very disappointed!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Melbourne '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

680 in the first attempt.Very disappointed! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 03:24
Hey,
I've recently taken Gmat on 21st of feb,2013 and got a paltry 680.Gave a couple of MGMAT and Gmatprep tests prior to the exam.Found that my score was varying very much on the tests,from 650-740 in in 7 tests I have taken.It was not a graph that was an increasing one but a fluctuating one.Before taking the test I checked myself on Quantz and sentence correction,which were worrying me.I got 50 in Quantz and hardly got 1 or 2 SC questions wrong on both the GMATprep tests.While taking the actual GMAT I lost 2.30 mins on quantz because the instructor didnt tell me my break time was over and while finishing the Verbal paper i panicked a lot in the end and Most prolly ended up answering 6-8 continuously wrong in the end which I am very sure of.When i was done with the test I found that I got 48Q,35V.i was aiming for a score of 700+.By how many points can I improve my score if I retake the test in a month with some more preparation.Kindly,Suggest me on retaking the GMAT.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 680 in the first attempt.Very disappointed! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
You shouldn't be disappointed! 680 is a really strong score, certainly not low enough to keep you out of any school!

If you are decided that you'll retake the test, it looks like a moderate improvement in your verbal score could produce a large improvement in your total score. Also, it sounds like you were a bit shaken throughout your first GMAT. I think an improvement of 30-40 points is possible, but you alone must decide if it's really worth the time, money, and anxiety to try again. Good luck!

My GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 680 in the first attempt.Very disappointed! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
anirudhroxx wrote:
Thank you Non-Yankee.That was really helpful.I am looking to apply for masters in management course as well planning to apply for MMS at Duke Fuqua.Although I found that the average score for applicants there was 660,Read somewhere that u need to have a really good score above 700 to get an admit.My profile is average as in I have done my graduation in Metallurgy and material sciences(B.Tech) from National Institute of technology-India with a CGPA 7.6/10 in 2011.I have done an internship for 2 months in a Steel Industry during college,Worked as a Consultant at a Financial technology firm in Mumbai for 13 months after graduation and Im currently working at a NPO for children at risk as an Intern for career awareness. I have switched through many industries and its worrying me that It will be considered negatively,precisely the reason why I want to get a high score so as to get calls from universities.Can u advise me whether I have to apply with this score or re-take it?Moreover I am hopeful that since i know the mistakes i have done I might be able to improve my score by30-40 points with little effort.

You sound like you have quite a varied background, which you simply need to present in the best light possible. Do not apologize for it, or it will be seen as a weakness. You can make the argument that you have great adaptability and you can learn new things quickly. You also have a broad perspective. These are skills recruiters look for (link). Make sure you can illustrate this with stories, not just with work history. Explain each career move in a logical way. The simpler the explanation, the better (like Occam's Razor). It might be that every move took you closer and closer to what you really want to do (and you finally know what that is!).

The GMAT is the one component of the application that is can be improved most rapidly, and schools know that. Work experience can't change much in the course of one day, but the GMAT can. I've heard of schools admitting applicants conditionally, saying that they simply need to improve their GMAT by matriculation. Also, I really doubt your GMAT will be a liability. It's 680. That's above average for the program you're looking at. And it's solidly within the 80% range of just about any school out there.

My GMAT debrief

Intern
Intern
Schools: Melbourne '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: 680 in the first attempt.Very disappointed! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 00:07
NonYankee wrote:
You shouldn't be disappointed! 680 is a really strong score, certainly not low enough to keep you out of any school!

If you are decided that you'll retake the test, it looks like a moderate improvement in your verbal score could produce a large improvement in your total score. Also, it sounds like you were a bit shaken throughout your first GMAT. I think an improvement of 30-40 points is possible, but you alone must decide if it's really worth the time, money, and anxiety to try again. Good luck!

Thank you Non-Yankee.That was really helpful.I am looking to apply for masters in management course as well planning to apply for MMS at Duke Fuqua.Although I found that the average score for applicants there was 660,Read somewhere that u need to have a really good score above 700 to get an admit.My profile is average as in I have done my graduation in Metallurgy and material sciences(B.Tech) from National Institute of technology-India with a CGPA 7.6/10 in 2011.I have done an internship for 2 months in a Steel Industry during college,Worked as a Consultant at a Financial technology firm in Mumbai for 13 months after graduation and Im currently working at a NPO for children at risk as an Intern for career awareness. I have switched through many industries and its worrying me that It will be considered negatively,precisely the reason why I want to get a high score so as to get calls from universities.Can u advise me whether I have to apply with this score or re-take it?Moreover I am hopeful that since i know the mistakes i have done I might be able to improve my score by30-40 points with little effort.
Re: 680 in the first attempt.Very disappointed!   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2013, 00:07