Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 Q41 V41 (bombed the Quant section)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

680 Q41 V41 (bombed the Quant section) [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 22:10
Hey everyone,

Last week I re-sat the GMAT exam (second attempt) and scored 680 (Q41, V41). I'm relatively happy with the result, however, given that I studied engineering and work as a structural engineer, I'm a bit worried about how skewed my Q to V scores are and whether I should resit to (1) get a higher Q score and (2) try break past the magic 700 mark. If anyone has any thought's on my scores, taking into consideration my background and work experience, I would really appreciate your advice.

(BTW I ran out of time on the Quant section, so had to click through ~5 answers in the last few minutes to finish.)

Below are a few vital stats from my current and past experience. I have listed these to put my applications into context.

* The MBA schools I am applying to are HBS, LBS, Wharton and Columbia (all for second round, due early Jan 2013)
* Bachelor of Engineer with First Class Honours, Master of Engineering with Second Class First Division Honours
* Multiple UG and PG scholarships
* Consistent A, A+ grades for all math related papers
* Structural Engineer working for a top tier global engineering firm. My work is HIGHLY analytical, but I use a calculator and excel. If I screw up the math in my head, stuff falls down
* Strong extracurricular credentials (humanitarian work and hold exec committee positions)
* Competitive sportsman
* Born and educated in New Zealand, work in Australia (so I think I'm a bit of a minority)

I would be happy to re-sit the exam, but with my work and training schedule, and the fact I need to write a bunch of essays by the end of the year, I won't have the time to study.

If anyone has any thoughts on my 680 score, please pass them on :)

Myer
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: 680 Q41 V41 (bombed the Quant section) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 14:04
get youself the MGMAT math books and learn GMAT math. I studied physics and math in college, and I'm here to tell you that you CAN NOT rely on your previous experience to do well in Quant.
Re: 680 Q41 V41 (bombed the Quant section)   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2012, 14:04