Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 (q44, v40) - Underperformed, appreciate advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

680 (q44, v40) - Underperformed, appreciate advice [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 02:19
Hi all,

I started studying for my GMAT about two months ago but only did some serious prep for the last months or so. I never studied verbal at all, did not even look at one book. I focused only on quant as I felt very weak.

Below are my CAT results:

MGMAT CAT 1: 690 (q43, v40) - before any studying
MGMAT CAT 2: 640 (q38, v39) - after 1 week
MGMAT CAT 3: 640 (q43, v35) - after 3 weeks
MGMAT CAT 4: 710 (q41, v45) - 1 day afer CAT 3 - please notice the weird verbal 10 pt jump
MGMAT CAT 5: 720 (q47, v42) - about 2 weeks ago
GMATPREP 1: 720 (q44, v45) - about a week ago
MGMAT CAT 6: 710 (q46, v41) - 5 days ago
GMATPREP 2: 720 (q47, v42) - 2 days ago

Actual GMAT: 680 (q44, v40)

Not sure what happened - During the exam I felt like I performed pretty similarly to how I did in my last 3 mocks, but the result is quite a bit worse.. It seems my quant range was 44-47 and verbal range 40-45, and on the actual day I hit the lower end for both. Really disappointed - but I want to try it again in August (I can't study over the next month).

My questions are:
- What do you think about my verbal? I did hit v45 on a couple of CATs and the rest were 41-42. Should I study this?
- How do I keep myself "in the loop" over the next month so I don't have to start all over in July?
- I exhausted the OG questions, CATs, and Question Pack for quant.. What shall I study now?

I would very much appreciate any advice, or any comments really.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 680 (q44, v40) - Underperformed, appreciate advice [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:51
Hi,

Looking at your MOCK test scores and actual GMAT score i can say/suggest the following:--

1. You are good at verbal! keep it up!
2. Your Quant score was always going around 44 mark. So need to improve there!
3. Are you sure you are clear with quant concepts? Were you able to finish the quant section on time?
4. Were you able to pinpoint your problem in the quant section?
5. I will suggest you to go to grockit.com and practice quant from there. Even the harder problems! Try understanding the concept and try increasing your speed.

Good luck with your prep!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1978

Kudos [?]: 6402 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 680 (q44, v40) - Underperformed, appreciate advice [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 13:23
Expert's post
Hm.... your highest GMAT Prep/MGMAT score is 720 and your GMAT is 680... that's within the standard error of the GMAT.

I would say a few things:
1. Your score does not suggest you must perform better if you retake it; if your scores were 740+, I would say then yes, but you may be just impacted by the test center stress more than others. Thus you probably can increase your score by 10-20 points by just sitting the second time, the most improvement will come from studying.
2. If you are applying to a highly competitive program and this is the best use of your time then sure
3. I would not take more than 6 weeks for the retake. You have to make sure you allocate enough time for the essays (what if you get sick or something else happens and you score 650 on the retake- that's possible and you have to have a plan for that).

Otherwise, you are doing great - keep the little things in mind - that's what counts on 700+ score and then add up to big numbers.
- BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: 680 (q44, v40) - Underperformed, appreciate advice   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2012, 13:23