Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 (Q47 V35)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: McDonough '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
First off, let me preface by stating that I've never been a great test taker, especially with respect to standardized tests. It's been about 7 years since I took my last standardized test (SAT's), which I also never performed spectacularly on. However, given my rather low UGPA, I thought it was at the very least necessary to aim for a high GMAT score, especially considering that I also unfortunately fall under the ultra competitive Indian / Male / IT profile. I didn't do as well as I intended, but looking back on it, I actually perceived it as somewhat of a notable accomplishment, considering I initially started test preparation in March of this year, did not enroll in a test prep class, and had to deal with a particularly grueling work schedule for my consulting job. For those interested, here are my experiences:

Material used:

Kaplan Premier Live Online 2010 - I used this mostly for quant studying. Even though I had a strong quant background from my ugrad days as an engineer, I was rather pathetic when it came to discrete math type questions (rate problems, mixture problems, combinatronics, etc.) I liked the table method used for solving some of the rate and set theory problems. Didn't like the verbal strategies.

OG12 and 11 - Once I acquired the strategies I needed, I began target practice. I did all of the problems from OG12 and did some of the verbal ones from OG11. The OG problems, while definitely representative of the test, do not cover enough 700-800 level questions (only like the last ~100 questions from each section or so). Nevertheless, this is a must have.

Manhattan GMAT SC Guide - Everyone on this forum swears by this, but I think it might have made me worse. I'm a native English speaker, and prior to reading this book, I was actually moderately successful in answering SC questions by feel. After reading this guide, I couldn't help but overanalyze every SC question thereafter, especially trying to recall idioms. Maybe I just need to give this another shot for next time.

Kaplan 800 - Okay for quant, didn't like it for anything else.

Manhattan GMAT CR, RC Guides - Reading has always been a weakness of mine for some stupid reason. I could not get myself to use the strategies in those guides, especially for CR, since the diagramming would take way too long. Instead, I just kept brute forcing practice of CR and RC questions until I finally got acclimated to them. I actually like reading the RC passages now. CR is still a tragic case - I can narrow down the answers to 50/50 but always end up selecting the wrong of the 2 choices.

GMATClub - This was the second (arguably the best) best resource for my GMAT studying. I just went on each of the individual forums and answered questions there. Bunuel is the God of GMAT Quant, so I spent a lot of time there! I used a tweaked version of Chineseburned's AWA guide for my essays. Though I discovered this late, there was also a thread in the CR forum dealing with LSAT LR questions. This proved very helpful. Also did the various GMATClub tests.

Schedule:

Like I said, I essentially spent a little more than 2.5 months studying for this. Focused on solely quant in March, verbal in April, and practice exams in May leading up to this past weekend when I took the test. I work 9-11 hours a day along with some unexpected weekends, so it was tough to squeeze more than an hour or two of studying per night. Weekends were a premium commodity, so I used as much time as I could to study then.

Practice CAT's:

From May 1 until May 20 I did nothing but practice exams and further drilling. I had to take 2 weeks of vacation from work in order to get enough time to take one full length practice exam per day. I ordered Manhattan GMAT's noteboard and marker pen replica in order to simulate the exam experience as closely as possible. I also did all sections of the test, including the AWA essays. I was aiming for anything 700+.

Scores:

Kaplan CAT 1: 650
Kaplan CAT 2: 680
Kaplan CAT 3: 710
Kaplan CAT 4: 650
MGMAT CAT1: 680
MGMAT CAT2: 690
MGMAT CAT3: 750
MGMAT CAT4: 690
GMATPREP 1: 620 (this was a major wtf moment since I took it a week before my exam)
GMATPREP 2: 650

Test day: 680

Notes:
  • I had to do the quant sections of the MGMAT CAT's untimed, since the questions were downright ridiculous. I also paused frequently when doing the AWA in order to consult Chineseburned's guide and tailor it accordingly to my style. Verbal I did timed.
  • I almost had a heart attack after taking the first GMATPREP. My scores were better in MGMAT, which people claim is harder overall. This had me freaking out since it was only a few days before I took the exam.
  • GMAT Club tests! Do them, especially for Quant!
  • Don't get too caught up in studying! Squeeze in time for living healthy! As a result of spending all day studying during my break, I ate less than usual and stopped going to the gym. Eventually the exam stress caught up to me both mentally and physically. It was not pleasant at all.
  • During the GMATPREP practice tests, I kept running out of time on Quant, while finishing the verbal with time to spare. This was the opposite case on exam day, when I barely finished both sections on time
  • On the test, I felt like I butchered the quant especially on an endless array of DS questions (DS is not my strength either), but I felt real good on the first half of the verbal. However, I'm pretty sure I messed up on a few SC questions midway through in conjunction with some CR questions that eventually sealed my fate.

Future:

At this point, I will most likely retake the test before the end of summer. I am a fall 2011 applicant. I'll probably enroll in a quick test prep course to fine tune my skills. I definitely think I can refine my undisiplined approach towards verbal questions. I felt dejected when I saw my score, but I felt a little better considering the circumstances I had to put up with along with the idea that I know I can improve. I know I can get at least into the 40's for verbal. This was probably one of the most (if not the most) draining experiences of my entire life, but I still think it was mostly a good one.

I've only been lurking here at GMATClub, but the community is awesome. Just wanted to give my thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 364

Kudos [?]: 1794 [1] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congrats!!! It's a good score and you have plenty of time to retake. Good luck!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: 680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 13:31
That is a little weird that you have lower scores on GMATPrep than Kaplan/ManhattanGMAT. Did you figure out why? Anybody else experienced this?

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: 680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 14:04
don't give up
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: 680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 07:15
esoteric, did it help you to take so many CAT's? Weren't you exhausted mentally on the test day? Do you think that you should have reduced their number?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: McDonough '15

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: 680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 12:44
nonameee wrote:
esoteric, did it help you to take so many CAT's? Weren't you exhausted mentally on the test day? Do you think that you should have reduced their number?

I took many CAT's for two reasons.

First, I felt like I needed to get as acclimated to the test as much as possible. That's why I tried to mirror a real test-taking experience everytime I did my CAT's (including using the noteboard and marker pen, doing the AWA everytime, etc.). I was fairly decent at doing the practice problems out of the OG and GMATClub, but a test environment is much different as there are other factors at play, such as time and test-taking stamina. This was my very first attempt at the GMAT so I wanted to do as much as I could to reduce the element of surprise. I'm not a traditionally good test taker so I did not want to leave any stone unturned in my test prep.

Second, my scaled scores for Quant and Verbal were all over the place. My Quant ranged from 43-48 and my Verbal ranged from 32-44. The GMAT felt like a crapshoot, so I wanted to do everything I could to fix this. I thought more practice wouldn't hurt, so I opted to do a lot of CAT's.

Looking back, it might have been better if I did less CAT's, since I plan to retake it now. I only have 2 untouched MGMAT CAT's left to use in my test prep, and I don't feel like its enough.

And yeah, it's definitely exhausting, but it helps. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: 680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 07:57
esoteric, looking back, do you think it would be better if you had worked more on improving your gaps rather than taking CAT's? Was it really productive? And my last question: Did it help you to increase your score?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 680 (Q47 V35) [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 03:47
well that` pretty discouraging taking into account the fact that you are a native speaker and have scored only 35 on Verbal.

I believe you can do better :)

good luck!
Re: 680 (Q47 V35)   [#permalink] 27 May 2010, 03:47