Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 (Q50 - V31)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

680 (Q50 - V31) [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 10:44
Hi there,

So I just got back from my exam and was quite disappointed with my 680 score...
Some people will say it's an 85 percentile score and therefore a good one, but I feel like anything below 700 is not that great.

I have taken a few CATs prior the exam and scored 710 (Q49 - V38) on both GMAT Prep practice exams.
I did stupid mistakes in the Quantitative part during these two practice exams, which didn't give me better than Q49, but I felt much more focused during the actual exam and hence scored in the Q50 range. I am still impressed Q50 represents the 90th percentile and Q51 the 99th... Such a huge gap, but anyway, that is not the point, as I feel my Quant is already good enough.

I am really disappointed with my Verbal part though... V31 (percentile 59) is so much worse than what I scored during the practice tests (V38 is percentile 83) !
I was really aiming at a 700+ score, so I am now considering retaking the test. I feel that I still have a lot of room to progress in the Verbal part and I felt so stressed during that part of the exam - time was ticking, I couldn't figure out answers quickly enough and ended with 6 questions to answer within less than 10 minutes. I am usually tight on time in this section as my native language is not English, but I guess the pressure of the exam made me lose my mind.

The school I would like to register to is in Western Europe and has, for the past 3 years, displayed an average of 710 among selected students.
What do you think about retaking the test ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 80

Re: 680 (Q50 - V31) [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 16:08
Congrats on a killer quant score, BammaBullet! A 680 isn't necessarily going to keep you out of a school that has an average score of 710--roughly half of applicants presumably score lower than a 710, so you'll still have a shot. If your profile is strong enough in other ways, then a 680 might be fine.

But it sounds like you have another 7+ verbal points in you, and it also sounds like you might not be all that happy if you don't at least give it one more shot. At the end of the day, it's a personal call: is the pain of a retake greater than the pain of thinking that you could have done better if you'd given it a second try?

I'm guessing that you'll be able to pull your composite score up if you spend another month or two improving your verbal skills and maintaining your quant skills. Make sure that you really concentrate on avoiding careless errors as you work through more quant practice problems and practice tests--the only thing that could cause you to have a quant letdown is sloppiness. And there's every reason to think that your verbal score could go up with some extra practice. You might also want to spend some time working on your test-taking stamina... lots of full-length tests (or maybe some nasty LSAT CR and RC sets?) will help you to avoid the jitters at the end of your next verbal section.

Good luck with the decision, but it sounds like you're in a pretty decent spot, whatever you decide. :)

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: 680 (Q50 - V31) [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 21:17
hI BAmmabullet.... my debrief is exactly same as of urs. I also appeared on 31st and scored 680(q50,v31)
Now im in two minds..whether to apply in some college or reappear.
What should be strategy for verbal in case i reappear after 31 days?
Also anyone-anyidea about colleges in which i could apply with 680.
Re: 680 (Q50 - V31)   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2013, 21:17