Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 00:59
Hi all,

Took GMAT yesterday and scored 660 (M-49 and V-30)

This is a 20 points drop from my last Gmat score 680 (M-49 and V-33)

I screwed up Verbal in a big way. I never scored so low in Verbal in any of my practise tests.

I scored :
Gmat Prep 1 : 700 (M-49 and V-36)
Gmat Prep 2: 710 ( M-50 and V-35) .. Took a week before the actual exam.

In all Manhattan CATs I scored between 670 to 690. In these exams, my verbal score was between 35 and 38.

During exam, I always thought I was doing in Verbal, but was shocked to see only 30:(
Biggest issue for me is I don't know where exactly I went wrong in Verbal.
I plan to retake Gmat after 1 month.

My questions:
1. Is 1 month time enough to take my score from 30 to 40?
2. As my maths is fine, what are the resources to enhance my Verbal score. I have gone through Manhattan SC, powerscore SC and CR and OG 10 and 11.

Really need advice from all the Gmat gurus here as I need to score 700+ and this will be my last Gmat attempt.

Prinits
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 07:53
Not a signle response:(

Need your guidance guys!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 09:55
I would read the editorial pages of NYT, FT, WSJ..and the Economist magazine. Especially the Economist, it has tones of boringly dense articles on science, cultures, etc..just like GMAT...try to read at GMAT pace and make mental notes of where key points are....you need to build up stamina IMO b/c your mind is fried by V, so you can lose focus......

Plus make sure your simulated CATS include a realistic AWA......
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8411 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 11:14
Expert's post
prinits wrote:

My questions:
2. As my maths is fine, what are the resources to enhance my Verbal score. I have gone through Manhattan SC, powerscore SC and CR and OG 10 and 11.

Really need advice from all the Gmat gurus here as I need to score 700+ and this will be my last Gmat attempt.

Prinits

Based on your results it was almost a glitch, which are rare but very possible.
Since your scores on GMATprep were in mid 30's, i think it is possible to improve 4-5 points in a month, but rather than just improve your verbal - you will have to also keep your quant engine running.

What you need to do is do some mistake analysis and pray that it is RC that you have the main issue with. Then attack that area (hopefully SC or CR) - you can get some target practice materials such as PR 1012 (though verbal is not fantastic - it definitely helps and will give you a few points). Would also recommend to review Kaplan Verbal Foundations.

Between those two books you should be Ok. Did I miss something?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 16:11
My Advice to you would be practice some tests under timed conditions....
Preparation wise, I think if you have grasped the concepts from the material you have, it is good...you can always refer to them and gain confidence...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 17:14
prinits wrote:
Hi all,

I screwed up Verbal in a big way. I never scored so low in Verbal in any of my practise tests.

I scored :

In all Manhattan CATs I scored between 670 to 690. In these exams, my verbal score was between 35 and 38.

During exam, I always thought I was doing in Verbal, but was shocked to see only 30:(

My questions:

Prinits

No guru, but went through a similar (but way bigger) drop in my score after taking the test a second time. Maybe my situation will give you some insight....

Although my verbal was high 30's, i was always less sure of my verbal answers than my math answers. So when studying, even though I may have gotten verbal questions correct, the underlying concepts that I either guess, or wasnt sure of just went under the radar. This time around Im maintaining a very detailed error log (as oppose to before where i just reviewed my incorrectly answered or complete guesses) to rectify the problem with my previous studies. There are many good examples on this site. It should just be called a log, because you should not only be including errors, but also concepts that you werent sure of, concepts that took you too much time to figure out, lessons learnt etc. Once you have a detailed document, you will have a much better idea of where you went wrong, and you will be getting the most out of the questions that you are practicing on.

best of luck,
millhouse
Manager
Manager

Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 20:46
Thank you for your inputs.

I did take multiple times tests ( including AWA). I took all Manhattan CATs, 3 Kaplan CATs and 2 GmatPrep tests.

My biggest issue is I am still not sure where exactly I made so many mistakes:(

I am more than willing to go through all basics and any material which helps me to push my Verbal score by 10 points. So I really don't mind waiting for 2 months and than retake.

But I have read in many posts that one should give too much gap between 2 attempts.

Kindly suggest.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8411 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 23:05
Expert's post
prinits wrote:

But I have read in many posts that one should give too much gap between 2 attempts.

Kindly suggest.

You mean one should NOT have a long gap between attempts?

I agree. I think once you are stretching your prep over a 6 months window you have lost the momentum.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 05:41
bb wrote:
prinits wrote:

Kindly suggest.

You mean one should NOT have a long gap between attempts?

I agree. I think once you are stretching your prep over a 6 months window you have lost the momentum.

Exactly. I had a long gap between my last two attempts and totally lost momentum, ending with a drop in score. However, 10 point improvement in Verbal requires considerable time, more than one month I guess.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
prinits wrote:
Hi all,

I scored :

My questions:

Prinits

Definitely doable, I'm just not sure if it is doable in one month. I pushed my Verbal from 31 to 41, if I could why couldn't you also?

I also experienced drop in Verbal raw score from 33 to 31 and than, after couple of months I scored 41. Manhattan SC is really good but it is far from enough. Learning from MGMAT and OG you have formed some foundations, now you have to practice, practice and practice... and a little more practice :)

The toughest problem with Verbal is a lack of high-quality resources. Paper tests are an excellent alternative when you exhaust all other prep tools. Buy them and practice. I would also suggest you to buy OG12 since you are going to find some new questions overthere. Read LSAT readings in RC1000 to improve your speed and practice with all other material. Keep in mind that pacing and concentration are crucial for your Verbal score.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Re: 680 to 660: Need Urgent advice on verbal   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2009, 05:50