Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

680 to 700 GMAT, does that help? Reeval Por Favor

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q V0
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

680 to 700 GMAT, does that help? Reeval Por Favor [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2014, 08:58
Hi folks, I asked for some guidance a month or so ago and the consensus takeaway was I needed to improve my GMAT to be a solid contender to any top 10 school or rather, to have confidence of being accepted to at least 1 top 10 school I needed to raise my GMAT.

So, I did just that but in a weird way. I went from 680 to 700, but did so by suffering a harsh drop in my quantitative score and sharp spike in my verbal (45-verbal, 41- quant). Needless to say, I'm the happiest, angriest 700 score receiver. My quant scores were usually 47, 48, 49 and I pull a 41? Anyway, I digress and with that being said, could you please evaluate my profile again with the new higher GMAT, keeping in mind lower quant? Should I take it again (my 4th time), hoping I can do something respectable on quant and keep the verbal up, resulting in a score potentially much greater than 700? Here's my profile:

-Went to a Top 5 public university - Majored in Business Administration with a Major GPA off 3.6
-Minored in Mandarin Chinese, which was tough, which pulled my overall GPA down to 3.3.
-Did I-Banking as an analyst in NYC at one off the usual suspects
-Recruited from the bank to a small start-up building the business from pre-revenue into to $10mm+ (SAAS business)
-700GMAT 680GMAT (took it three times)
-Strong Community Work & Co-founded an active charity in the community, have a broad impact
-Will have a total of 5.5YR WE
-White male
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

680 to 700 GMAT, does that help? Reeval Por Favor [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2014, 10:01
Hola Señor 700,

Your profile looks solid from a hypothetical point of view. That is a real bummer for your quant score but the good news is you increased the overall score. I would not retake the GMAT a 4th time. The schools can see all your test dates and scores. You want to come off as someone who is busy with work and extracurricular activities - I have a little hesitation....that you might appear to be obsessing over the GMAT (in the Adcom's eyes) if you go another round. But it is your call and I'm sure others (candidates & consultants) might advise you to take it again.

If you want to do consulting you could always retake the GMAT after you are admitted to push your score up for recruiting - the top firms do ask for it.

Best,
Leah Derus
fxbmaconsulting . com
Manager
Manager

Re: 680 to 700 GMAT, does that help? Reeval Por Favor [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2014, 11:24
Thanks - It's been over a 5 year time period that I took those GMATs but I understand your point and who's to say I won't do better on quant and drop in verbal. From what I hear though, 700 meets the cut-off for consulting firms when they recruit from a top 10, no? Do you know if they ask for the split? And if so, am I allowed to put my much better Quant?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 680 to 700 GMAT, does that help? Reeval Por Favor [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2014, 11:55
Hi
I assumed you had taken the GMAT 3 times in the last 5 years given your work history of 5.5 years to date. If only 2 of those tests are going to show up on the official report, I wouldn't have any qualms of trying for it a 3rd time.

I think you would be fine with 700 for consulting. You could be asked for the split at some firms but overall you are a great mix of left & right brain skills (foreign languages + banking).

If you did take the GMAT again you could certainly go into it with a totally zen attitude! It's up to you really. We are nearing the beginning of August and if you are planning on applying 1st round I would start working on my apps as well.

Best,
Leah
fxmbaconsulting . com
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 1

Re: 680 to 700 GMAT, does that help? Reeval Por Favor [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 07:17
Expert's post
Hey there,

I agree with Leah that if one of those attempts is off your record, a 3rd attempt is totally fair game. But, that said, I don't think it'll make much of a difference. Unless you've been prepping or something went against you the last 3 times, I'd say you're pretty triangulated into your GMAT performance, no? 680 to 700 is a pretty tight performance band. Also, not only is a 700 good enough for recruiting, it also makes a huge difference in terms of admission - a score that starts with a "7" is solid.

In all honesty, my opinion is you should focus on your applications at this point. Unless, of course, you aren't planning on studying and are just thinking about sitting for another test cold in which case go for it if you can pull off another 20 points or so!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager

Re: 680 to 700 GMAT, does that help? Reeval Por Favor [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 06:53
Thanks guys for the feedback. I decided to stick with the 700 and focus on the essays and applications. All the best.
Re: 680 to 700 GMAT, does that help? Reeval Por Favor   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2014, 06:53