Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2016, 22:59
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

$686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User
$686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees. No employe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2010, 14:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:54) correct 31% (02:14) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source: Knewton

$686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees. No employee is to receive a bonus more than 20% greater than the bonus received by any other employee. What is the minimum possible bonus that an employee can receive?

(A) $96,000
(B) $97,000
(C) $98,000
(D) $99,000
(E) $100,000
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I appreciate the kudos if you find this post helpful! +1

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 18

Re: $686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees. No employe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2010, 15:03
The question stem states that the difference between the minimum and maximum bonus may not exceed 20%. To determine the minimum possible bonus for an employee you have to assume that the other 5 employees obtain the maximum possible bonus.

If x denotes the minimum possible bonus and 1.2x denotes the maximum possible bonus you can set up the equation as follows:

x + 5*1.2x = $686,000 => 7x = $686,000 => x = $98'000

Hence, solution c is correct.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1877

Kudos [?]: 11569 [0], given: 219

Re: $686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees. No employe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2010, 20:15
Expert's post
Stanford2012 has explained the solution perfectly.
The only thing I want to highlight here is the concept.

Let's say you have a fixed sum of $100 that needs to be distributed among 5 people. If you want to maximize one person's share, you need to give everyone else the minimum that you can. e.g. the question says each person must receive at least $10, what is the maximum one person can receive?
Since you want to maximize one person's share, you should give everyone else the minimum possible i.e. $ 10. You give $10 to each of the other 4 people and are left with $60, the maximum that you can give to one guy.
Similarly, if you want to minimize someone's share, you should give everyone else the maximum possible.

In your question here, a fixed amount has to be distributed among 6 people and one person's minimum share needs to be found. A person will receive minimum (say $x) , when everyone else gets the maximum that they can (that will be $6x/5).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

$686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2012, 20:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
$686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees. No employee is to receive a bonus more than 20% greater than the bonus received by any other employee. What is the minimum possible bonus that an employee can receive?

A. $96,000
B. $97,000
C. $98,000
D. $99,000
E. $100,000

I often struggle with such questions. I can understand that for minimum value , we need to consider highest salary 20%, however I cannot understand how to put other 4 intermediate values. When I read the explanation I understand, but do not seem to apply it while solving. Can someone pls help in how to think through such problems.

Thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 6102

Kudos [?]: 76795 [1] , given: 9981

Re: $686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2012, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
priyankaparanjape wrote:

A. $96,000
B. $97,000
C. $98,000
D. $99,000
E. $100,000

I often struggle with such questions. I can understand that for minimum value , we need to consider highest salary 20%, however I cannot understand how to put other 4 intermediate values. When I read the explanation I understand, but do not seem to apply it while solving. Can someone pls help in how to think through such problems.

Thanks.

Since "no employee is to receive a bonus more than 20% greater than the bonus received by any other employee", then the bonuses of 6 employees must be in the range: \($x\) and \($1.2x\).

So we want to minimize \(x\). To minimize \(x\) we should make only one employee to receive that bonus (minimum possible) and the rest 5 employees to receive \(1.2x\) bonus (maximum possible).

\(x+5*1.2x=686\) --> \(7x=686\) --> \(x=98\).

Answer: C.

General rule for such kind of problems:
to maximize one quantity, minimize the others;
to minimize one quantity, maximize the others.

Similar questions:
a-certain-city-with-population-of-132-000-is-to-be-divided-76217.html?hilit=population#p1035185
shaggy-has-to-learn-the-same-71-hiragana-characters-and-126948.html

Other min/max questions:
PS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=63
DS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=42

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 496

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2014, 14:33
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 21:11
Hi Bunuel,

I am confused. Why are we minimizing 1 persons bonus and maxing out all the other 5??
Shouldnt we be minimizing 1 persons bonus, maxing only 1 other persons bonuses and keeping the 4 in the middle at 1/6 of the total bonus. So let 686,000/6=@
@ is what everyone should get in an even world.
So for the first guy, whom we eant to minimize, i am going to deduct x from his @. For the 6th guy, the guy we want to max out where going to give him x, but such that the following condition is met.

(@-x)1.2=(@+x)
.2@=2.2x
.2(686,000/6)/2.2=10393.0=x
Now the first guy, the minimum bonus guy is going to get
@-x=114333-10393=103,940
Where am I going wrong?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 6102

Kudos [?]: 76795 [0], given: 9981

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2014, 01:56
Expert's post
alphabeta1234 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I am confused. Why are we minimizing 1 persons bonus and maxing out all the other 5??
Shouldnt we be minimizing 1 persons bonus, maxing only 1 other persons bonuses and keeping the 4 in the middle at 1/6 of the total bonus. So let 686,000/6=@

Posted from my mobile device Image

Questions asks: what is the minimum possible bonus that an employee can receive?

If we maximize the bonuses of 5 people the remaining 6th one will get the minimum bonus.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 12:13

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 13:01

Re: $686,000 in bonus money is to be divided among 6 employees. No employe   [#permalink] 15 May 2016, 13:01