Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 (46Q, 38V) -----> 780 (51Q, 47V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

690 (46Q, 38V) -----> 780 (51Q, 47V) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 10:14
Hi all,

I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted to share their experiences - I'm posting to give hope to others out there who might have been in my situation.

I took the GMAT in September after a good amount of preparation consisting of:
-Nova Press GMAT book
-Kaplan 2003 book and CD
-Kaplan GMAT CourseBook I got from a friend
-PowerPrep

Kaplan Diagnostic: 680
PowerPrep1: 690 (47Q, 38V)

I was content with the quant, but thought I could do better on the verbal, so I did some more studying and then took the next PowerPrep.

PowerPrep2: 760 (49Q, 45V)

I was happy with this number, and went to take the actual test hoping to score some between my practice scores, between 690-760.

The test was AWFUL. I ran out of time in BOTH sections, something that had never happened in any of the practice exams. I ended up not answering the last question on math, and on verbal I skipped an entire RC because I had no time. Why did I run out of time on this test and not on the practice? To me, the questions on the real one were much harder. The ones I could do took more time, and there were a lot that I had trouble with. PP1 and PP2 were pretty easy for the most part and I always finished with a lot of time. The real GMAT was much more difficult. My scores showed up as 690, and I was upset. I was shooting for 700+. Now, we all know there's really no difference between 690 and 700, but unfortunately admissions committees feel differently. So, I decide to schedule another exam.

I thought I had prepared as well as I could, but I knew I had to try some more practice - so I ordered the OG 11th Edition and downloaded GMAT Prep. I took GMATPrep1 and got a 750 and didn't take GMATPrep2. On the OG, I went through the diagnostic test - I thought the math was a little tricky, though the verbal was pretty easy. I didn't look at the CR or RC sections of the book, though I did go through SC. I spent the majority of my time on quant, going through the 250 PS and 150 DS questions and trying to understand all of them. I also went back to the Kaplan CD and did all the quant tests that remained - including the quant sections of the remaining 3 CATs. I found Kaplan's verbal to be horrendous, so I didn't bother.

Anyway, test day was this morning. The test was like the PowerPreps - the questions weren't particularly difficult. I had one probability question that I couldn't do, so I guessed. Everything else was basic algebra or number theory - there was nothing difficult on this exam. I finished Q with a few minutes remaining. I finished V with about 15 minutes remaining.

So, to all those out there who think they got screwed over on the GMAT - sign up and take it again!! My experience shows that the test is not always consistent, so you can really improve!

Good luck!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 10:39
Congratulations to your awesome score!!
I would be in cloud 9 if I got a score like that.
And you don't seem to have worked an awful lot on it.

Good luck with your applications!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 11:20
Wow, 780. Congrats on your awesome score!!! :-D :-D :-D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 20:51
Congratulations ...780 is great score, I guess you will get scholarship!

It's party time!!! :beer
  [#permalink] 05 Oct 2005, 20:51