Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

690 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
690 (90 percentile) - Quant 50, Verbal 32.

Could have been better. But i have quite a story believe me.

Preparation..
--------------
MGMAT books
a bunch of peterson verbal and quant tests.
MGAT 1 640
MGAT 2 690
MGAT 3 680
MGAT 4 720
GMATPrep 1 720
GMATPrep 2 640

Story
------
I work at a hedge fund. Considering how markets are doing, work was stressful and i did not have enough time to prepare. Total prep less than 2 months. Took only 1 day off and the rest of prep was on weekends that included visting MBA schools. In last 3-4 days before the test i studied a lot and was happy to see a 720 in gmat prep 1. Then i studied more and decided to take GMAT prep 2 the day before my test, since my time management was poor in verbal and i wanted to improve on that.

So on the day before the test, i finished the Quant section of gmatprep and was very confident about it. I was like all i have to do now is just blow away the verbal and 750 should be here. Because of studying a lot getting into that test, my brain was not able to process any more information. Add that to the fact that it was last prep test, it was t-1, RCs were not business/scientific i COMPLETELY BLANKED OUT. I was panicking and sweating, only looking at the clock. I could not even read a question. Ended up with a 640 and an all time low confidence. I had panicked so much that i was unable to read or process anything. I was sure "I can't do it. period". After that point, when i would try to even read the news on internet, all i had in back of my mind was "I can't do it". This became like a self prophecy and a vicious circle and it would come true. I wont be able to process any text in my brain. And the confidence kept going down. I wanted to cancel the test because i had 0 confidence in me at that point. My friends convinced me to to take it and made me understand i have nothing to lose. I decided i will take the test and if i had panicked in the test i would cancel the score. I went out with friends and we went to a bar and had a few drinks. Woke up the next day (exam day), a bit hungover. I was like What the F*** did i do. My brain was very inactive. Went for a light workout, took a shower and got things started. Then i sat down and started solving sentence correction problems from the basic. Spent an hour or so and did all right and got the confidence back. I am usually a strong person so it was not too hard to get out of that lame no confidence zone. I made a new test strategy in light of what had transpired in the last couple days and which would give me the best ROI. But believe me guys, drinking before the GMAT is a BAD idea.

So i went into the test. I felt 100% ok. The proctors were very nice ladies so it helped. Finished the essays with 10 min remaining. Went on to take a break. Did some miscalculation and when i got back to the exam, the clock had started 2 min. ago. I was like "seriously? As it is I am screwed to begin with. And i want to make things more interesting". Math was a breeze. On one DS question the answer was D and i incorrectly clicked on C thinking i was clicking on D and confirmed and immediately realized that too. That shook me down a bit but since i had already seen all sorts of lows, nothing bothered me anymore.

Went on take another 10 min break. I just told myself that if i can just concentrate for 75 min. i will be done for ever. I promised myself not to panic. I decided to hide the clock, only checking the time once in a while. Incidentally RCs were business/finance/scientific so that helped. But i am not good at skipping questions in RCs. few hard RC questions take a lot of my time and i usually dont have much time left for last 11. So my accuracy for first 30 is good and then it drops a LOT. I would get 7 out of last 11 questions wrong easily. I think the same thing happened in the exam. Since i was at a rock bottom confidence, i was not able to take much risk this time. My only strategy was "not panic" and i was able to implement that. I should have skipped some hard RC questions since that was my weak point anyways and would have saved me 4-5 min. I must have gotten them wrong anyways. It was bad exam strategy.

But with what happened last couple days i am not too disappointed. 10 points more would have been real nice.

Now i am not sure if i should re-take it again ? I can get a 50 in quant any day. The part that beats me in verbal is i don't know what to fix. I would solve OG questions with 1.5 min per question and get 90% right in CR and RC. In exam i don't know what happens, why i am always running out of time. I think i can get a 50 again in quant or may be a 51 and 32 is probably as low as it can get in verbal so i have nothing to lose. I don't know if it is worth spending time again or not. Your comments are welcome. !

Last edited by TkNeo on 26 Feb 2008, 07:53, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
If you're confident that your quant can't go down, I see no harm in trying to bring up the verbal score. Either way, 690 is a great score. Best of luck.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Most people go get their MBA to get into hedge funds, VC and PE but you seem like the exception. I'm interested to hear your story. Why would you leave a hedge fund to get an MBA?

690 is a good score, 91% or something, and with your background experience, I think you have a shot at any of the schools. I mean they work hard to place people into HF/VC/PE and you are coming out of it.

As for the verbal, if you haven't used the Manhattan GMAT you can always look at that, especially the SC. Also, you can download the 1000 docs too. For RC, I found myself not retaining enough info so I took notes. I found I could answer questions faster too and took less time overall. I had a blistering 5 paragraph RC in my GMAT too at the Q28 mark but because I was confident in the speed & accuracy of my approach, I didn't panic. (FYI 710, Q48/V38)

The test is weighted on the verbal. My V38 was in the 88% while my Q48 was 85%. I'm an engineer so I basically spent 90% of my time on the verbal section and figured I'd score between 50-48 on the quant which was good enough for me. No sense racking my brain for a few extra points when a few extra verbal points could mean +30.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 12:11
Great story......thanks for shairng
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2008, 16:52
retest and get your verbal up.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
navy01 wrote:
Most people go get their MBA to get into hedge funds, VC and PE but you seem like the exception. I'm interested to hear your story. Why would you leave a hedge fund to get an MBA?

690 is a good score, 91% or something, and with your background experience, I think you have a shot at any of the schools. I mean they work hard to place people into HF/VC/PE and you are coming out of it.

Yes its hard to get into HFs and yes it is a hot shot industry with all that jazz that you think about but since i am in there already, i don't find it such a big deal. I have a LOT of street knowledge when it comes to finance but no formal education. My employer has suggested me to go to school for finance many times. Plus at some point soon i would need managerial skills too. Because of where i am, i have a lot of contacts in the industry that can help me rise up. The only hold up is not having that formal finance education or an MBA..hence the whole process. If i don't get into school i would still be ok but i would be a LOT better off with a good MBA degree. Also i don't think of business schools as the last piece in the puzzle. It is going to be hard no matter what. My employer has hired and fired two people who went to Harvard. One of the smartest people i have seen but they were let go as if they were nobody. Once you see stuff like that your perspective changes. A degree from a big school is important to get an interview call but that is the end of it. Inside the interview room, it does not matter whether you went to harvard or a no name school.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 14:40
TkNeo,

All I can say is GOOD LUCK (I don't know what it means when you already have a lot of it :) ).

I wouldn't say 690 is bad, but 700+ would definitly be +++.

All the best.
Re: 690   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2008, 14:40