Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 --> 680 --> 730! (44V 97%, 47Q 76%)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 2

690 --> 680 --> 730! (44V 97%, 47Q 76%) [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
Long time lurker here, but i've been on the site for ages and it has helped me so much!

Initial Reactions
-Holy crap, it's finally over. I'll never have to see this test centre ever again in my life (seriously i've taken all my GMATs there as well as my driving theory test)
-Hmm, quants a little low (but I have good scores on quanty classes on my transcript), but thank god verbal saved me! As i'm sure the below will show, I still write awfully!
-I can now concentrate on the part of the application that means the most to me, why I love the schools and why they should want me! :)

The story

I'm currently two years out of university, but I took my first two GMATs when I was in university. They were mainly to be used to apply to masters in management programmes rather than for MBA entry, so I was happy enough with them. However I was a bit annoyed when my second score was lower than my first!

Instead however, I got a wonderful job and took that over a masters in management, with the aim of doing an MBA after the traditional two and a bit years. However when it started getting close to the one year mark I kept thinking back to the GMAT. Sure I had a 690, but for the schools I was applying for this was dangerously on the lower end of the 75% range. I know I would kick myself if I didn't get into the dream school, and i'd keep blaming it on the GMAT.

So over the last 5 months or so I spent a few hours each weekend working through GMAT books, and in particular focusing my weak areas (SC mainly) after doing a diagnostic GMATPrep. There were however weeks on end that I didn't do much due to work, however I always made sure that at least once a day i'd open up the gmatclub app and work on SC etc...

One thing that really helped me was visiting the schools i'd be applying to. I'd planned to do a 2 week trip around the US and then do my GMAT two days after I flew back. I cannot stress how much seeing the schools motivated me, but also realised that I really needed a higher score than 690 to get in. I actually sat in the HBS cafe and moved my GMAT date back a month.

I kept doing GMATPreps before and managed a 720, 720 and a 710 in the weeks leading up to the test, but I still felt super nervous, especially given GMATPrep is supposedly easier than the real test now. However I used each test to target specific weak areas e.g. DS VIC problems or verb subject agreement errors in SC.

Come the test day, I was nervous as anything as I knew this would be the last time I could take the test before the new IR session. I honestly just wanted to get the GMAT over and done with! The test experience was normal with no complications asides from one rather gruff test instructor to deal with.

AWA was pretty good (score still unknown of course!) and I grinned when I saw the analysis of an issue question, it was exactly on a field I am super interested in and want to go into after my MBA. Quant felt ok, I could most of the problems and even spotted a few tricky errors the GMAT threw at me, however at the end I still knew i'd be dealing with an ok score rather than a great one. I had a sip of red bull and jumped back into the verbal section knowing it was where I could significantly lift my score. Around q30 I really hit a wall on a massive reading comprehension, but luckily I was ok for time so I took a minute off to refresh then read it again. By the end however I was really flagging. Demographic questions etc... (I have no idea what they were, I just answered them, I wanted to see my score, and just say peace out GMAT or get back to hitting the books)...730!

Walked out of the test centre, punched the air and then texted friends and colleagues who had been supporting me all the way. All in all a good day!

What really helped me
-The Manhattan GMAT books, oh my god these are simply incredible. The SC book in particular was my bible and I attribute my high verbal score to it!
-Seeing the schools and knowing what I was aiming for. I cannot say how much seeing and understanding the schools helped motivate me. The MBA was something I know I wanted, but after seeing the schools I was desperate to get in.
-The GMATclub app was also a lifesaver, it helped me hone my sc on my commute and every other spare minute that I had.

Thanks again GMATclub!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 --> 680 --> 730! (44V 97%, 47Q 76%) [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 03:17
congrates for awesome score
Please share your verbal strategy and mock test scores?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: 690 --> 680 --> 730! (44V 97%, 47Q 76%) [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 11:29
Congratulations.Its a truly wonderful score!!All the best with the applications.
Re: 690 --> 680 --> 730! (44V 97%, 47Q 76%)   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2012, 11:29