Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 after 590

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

690 after 590 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, everyone.

I passed the GMAT this Monday and got 690 points (46Q/38V).

I want to share some experience of my GMAT taking.

I started in mid November from studying the GMAT course. Beside that, I basically used Kaplan materials and 'Challenges' for the Q. I have passed Kaplan CAT tests in December-January and was very dissatisfied with their results of 520-590 points. However, I was told that they are a bad prediction of my actual score so I then tried only GMAT preps. My GMAT preps ranged (I made 7 or 8) from as low as 650 to as high as 770 (many verbal repeats, so not indicative). My 'challenges' results were ranged in 15%-90% percentiles depepnding on my concentration and the surrounding. However, I would always do more than 20 correct answers.

After several months of preparation, I took the test on February, 28 and got a dissappointing 590 (Q46/V24). I attribute such verbal result to many mistakes in the beginning since after 3 or 4 correct answer to SC and CR questions I got a very tough RC where I possibly got almost all questions wrong. I knew that this was not indicative and that I coud do much better so I purchased the OG11 and continued to work. I should confirm that this book is a must for all takers and its RC passages together with SC explanations helped me greatly.

After a week of study I made an appointment in Chicago (the center in my city was full until end of April), where I had to go for business purposes and went on preparing.

I arrived in Chicago on the 4th and had to dedicate myself to meetings so there was no time for preparation for GMAT. Becides, I had a jet lag so I actually couldn't sleep well the night before the G-day (some influence of the nerves, too). I actually slept for 2 hours and came to the test 'square-headed'. I started well but have lost the concentration quite soon and had to put enourmous effort in each problem to remain concentrated. Because of lack of concentration I ran out of time both in Q and V and had to guess 2 last questions in each section. I supposed that I didn't do as bad as the previous time because of the tough, time-consuming questions in the middle of the test, however, I expected something like 650 to appear and was rather surprised with my 690.

For the people who are still waiting for their GMAT time I want to say: beware of the first 10-15 questions. If you don't do them well, cancel the score if you don't want it to be in a 500 level. But it is definetely better to spend more time solving them. Spend up to 3 mins per question, if needed, they are worth that. If you have a difficult RC passage, spend even more.

Waiting for my official results with the AWA score, I am a bit biased of whether this score will be enough for the top-tier b-schools in Europe or US. I would appreciate comments on this matter from the gurus. I read that as long as you get 680 or higher B-schools do not really care about your score and rather pay attention to essays, CV and other issues. I targeted 700+ and think that I can reach 710-720 in the oprimal condition but is that worth spending the time? Do these extra 10-20-30 scores really matter for the adcom? I mean that I still need time for the Toefl and other things than the GMAT. What's your idea?

I would be glad to share some more experience and would appreciate any comment on the score...

Regards,
T_T
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

Re: 690 after 590 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
congrats, lucky you, I got 46Q and 38V and only a 680! At least that gives me an idea that I was right on the borderline!

As for your question I am in same boat. I am retaking but we'll see whether I can improve:) My score on GMAT was lower end of all my practice so I figure I want to have another data point to gauge my real level.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1849 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 690 after 590 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2008, 11:00
Expert's post
:band

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: 690 after 590 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 03:24
Hello. I believe that it is a good score. I had the same experience: between 650-700 in Prep's and only 590 in the official test. Can you help me with some advices about how to improve my score? For me, a 680 will be good, because i want to go at IMD or INSEAD. My problem is in verbal. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago R2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: 690 after 590 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 07:07
test_taker, congrats for your score 100+ is a real jump of yours. Actually I have the same score only with another split Q49V35 and I'm gonna repeat the challenge 30th of June. So that what i can say to you. It's sorta game as it seems to me and I wanna gamble farther. You might join me and other gamblers/gmatters or quit that and go to Afghanistan to cut "magic grass" and later reflect this stellar exp in your essays. I'm kidding of course don't kick me pls :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: 690 after 590 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 10:09
IMHO it is not worth it to try to score an extra 20 or 30 points. Not only does it waste your own time, it's an indication to the adcom that you like to concentrate on things which are irrelevant.
Re: 690 after 590   [#permalink] 30 May 2008, 10:09