Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 and US top-15 schools - shall I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
690 and US top-15 schools - shall I retake? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 09:51
edited

Last edited by AN225 on 14 Jan 2012, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 and US top-15 schools - shall I retake? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 11:57
Expert's post
Hi Vorski,

Thanks for posting. With regards to your question on whether you should retake the GMAT, I hope the following is of help. What is the score that you should be shooting for? The obvious answer is that you go for your highest possible score. Even if you received a 690 on your first attempt, a 740 is significantly better. If you are truly confident that you can improve by 50 points, it is worth trying. That said, most of us cannot reach 740. The minimum you should shoot for is the range that encompasses the middle 80% of the class for your target school. Within that range —again, the higher the better. For example, if 80% of the class scored between 650 and 740, you would definitely want to strive to at least hit 650.

Additionally, know that certain demographic profiles can get away with lower scores. It is true that a French female applicant, where for whom English is a second language, may not be required to have as high a score as a Caucasian male from the US.

I hope this was of help Vorski.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 and US top-15 schools - shall I retake? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 19:19
Vorskl,

Your GMAT is within middle 80% of any top 15 school, but I'd agree that if you think you can improve upon your score by retaking and if you have time to do it, why not to? Having said that, there are many 750+ candidate getting rejected every year because they could not translate the strengths of thier actual profile on the application. Hence, the key issue that will decide your chances will be how strongly you execute it. Your demographic is not very common and should help you but everything is very competitive at the top schools. You have some time for this year application, so use it the best you can to build up your extra curricular etc.

There are a lot of candidates of similar age in the top business schools so you should not worry about it too much. You are definitely not too late for a full time MBA, however, like everyone else (whether a 2 year work ex person or 10 years) you should be able to convince the adcom why is this the right time for you to do an MBA.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 and US top-15 schools - shall I retake? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 11:19
Dear Stacy and BizSP,
Thank you very much for replies!

Meanwhile I've improved my score from 690 to 710 (49/38).

Could you please share your opinion on two more questions:
- how top school look at consequent attempts to take the GMAT? Is there a risk that averaging of the scores can take a place?
- community activities, to what extend are they the must to have in a strong application? I was moving from a country to country every 2 years and therefore was not involved in any.

Thank you very much in advance!
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 and US top-15 schools - shall I retake? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 12:40
Expert's post
Hi Vorskl,

Congratulations on your 710 score. An MBA program will look at your highest GMAT score.

For your extracurriculars and community service activities, I recommend you look for opportunities. When are you applying to business school? These are important because:

1. They show that an individual is multi-dimensional. They demonstrate, interests, passions, personality. As such, they help the admissions committees get to know you beyond your professional goals.

2. Being involved outside of work shows that you can balance multiple commitments, and that you are the type of person who will be able to balance academics with clubs, conferences, recruiting, and more, once you are at school.

3. They can show that you have a larger view of the world—that you see what is happening outside of your office and you are interested in being involved and contributing in some way. They can show that you understand your own role as a leader and your ability to leverage your position and give back.

4. They make you a more interesting person—someone that can contribute to the diversity and vitality of a class and alumni network.

5. It’s an opportunity to demonstrate qualities such as creativity, leadership, teamwork, communication skills, initiative. These qualities are important outside of a professional setting as well as at work.

Hope this was of help!

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: 690 and US top-15 schools - shall I retake?   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2011, 12:40