Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 in 2 weeks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 76875

CAT Tests
690 in 2 weeks [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 17:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I took my GMAT yesterday (December 5, 2011) and got Q48 and V36. With the limited review time that I had, Im pretty happy with the score that I got. :)

So here's how I did it (In case someone out there has the same case of not having ample amount of time for review).

First, set your goals! Be positive but be realistic as well. :) I think I'm pretty good at Math. So seeing the types of quant questions, I knew that with a little review, I'll be able to get a fairly good score at the quant section. Now the verbal part is a different story, I know that to get a decent high score in the verbal section, I need a lot of time. But with two weeks, what should I do? I decided to focus on my quant. Learn as much as I can for the quant section and then give less time on the verbal section. I did this because I knew I can drastically improve my quant score in a week or so but I'll be needing weekS (or months) for my verbal. So I only had almost 3 days to review for verbal.

The most useful material for me was the Official Guide 12. I solved ALL their quant sample questions. ALL of them! With this, I learned the typical question patterns and how much I had to learn per topic. I tried searching for sample questions in forums but I noticed that most questions posted in forums are way too difficult or you'll probably encounter them if your score is higher than 750! Again, be realistic!!! Haha! I knew that before reaching those difficult questions, I had to master the fairly average ones first. :)

Also, I downloaded the gmat club flaschcard in my iphone. It was very useful. And then, I made my own cards. I had little paper pieces that I carry everywehere I go. Some of them have sample questions, formula or whatever. My cards were very useful for reviewing as I can review them anywhere. :)

For my AWA, the 800 AWA guide was very useful. I found a pdf copy somewhere in the forum. :)

Lastly, on the night before my exam, I read the Princeton Review Manual. A friend gave me a pdf copy. It was useful as it covers all the possible sections and gave me a brief review of what I've learned in the last two weeks.

So there, that's how I prepared for the exam. Im pretty confident that if given more time, I can do better. And if I had more time, I would have studied differently. But overall, im pretty happy with the outcome. :)

On the test day, I tried to stay calm. I used all the break times to relax and calm myself. I think it is very important to manage your time during the test. For difficult questions, I guessed and moved on with the hope that they are one of the sample questions that don't really count.

Thanks to the gmat club folks, this site had been very helpful.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 in 2 weeks [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 19:40
Awesome! Good luck for apps!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2267

Kudos [?]: 8737 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 690 in 2 weeks [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:33
Expert's post
Congratulations - great score!

Did you take any practice tests? What score did you start with?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 76875

CAT Tests
Re: 690 in 2 weeks [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 20:45
bb wrote:
Congratulations - great score!

Did you take any practice tests? What score did you start with?

Hey thanks! I got 650 on both the GMATPrep tests. Did not really have the time to take a lot of practice tests.

But before I started studying I remember trying to take the first GMATPrep exam just to get an idea of the types of questions. I got 420 I guess. I got 40 in the quant and 20 I think on verbal. This is because I just guessed and clicked any answer in all the verbal questions because I was excited to see my quant score. :) I just restarted the first exam and took it again after studying.
Re: 690 in 2 weeks   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2011, 20:45