Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't use princeton review, just Kaplan and OG. In hindsight, I didn't like Kaplan for CR studying - they seemed more like LSAT CRs than what I saw on the GMAT. The Manhattan books are apparently the bible for SC. I looked it over and it had plenty of good practice in there, so I would recommend that as well. Whatever practice book you go with though, the best practice is just to do tons and tons of verbal questions. Best of luck with it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: 690 (Q41,V42) and **** proud of it [#permalink]
If you think that, then you are in for a shock during the application period. The GMAT is the easiest bit.

beckee529 wrote:
i think the GMAT's are the worse part of b-school apps.. i can't wait to be at that stage too with a satisfactory score :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: 690 (Q41,V42) and **** proud of it [#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
If you think that, then you are in for a shock during the application period. The GMAT is the easiest bit.

beckee529 wrote:
i think the GMAT's are the worse part of b-school apps.. i can't wait to be at that stage too with a satisfactory score :)

gmat's a breeze compared with the rest of the application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Believe it or not, I've actually enjoyed the application process (not so much the waiting - that is truly the worst part of this whole thing).

As I see it - the GMAT is the hardest part. The entire Bschool application basically has 3 parts: your undergrad GPA, your GMAT score, and your essays (+ other short/random application responses). There's nothing you can do about your undergrad GPA at this point, and your GMAT score is entirely dependent on what questions you get during the exam. You have one shot at the GMAT (each time you take it that is), you have 3+ hours to complete the test, and your only crutch is the prep work and studying you have done prior to getting to the test center.

The essay process is entirely different and absolutely less stressful. Keep in mind that the questions are released months before the app is due, the only time constraint is the submission date, you can write as many drafts as you want, and you are even encouraged to have other people review them from comments. How this is more stressful than answering 34 tricky math problems at a 2 minute/problem clip is beyond me. Sure you have to get recommendations and find your transcripts - but really - that's more stressful than the GMAT??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think this totally depends on the person. If you're a great test taker, and a poor writer, the essays will be very stressful. If you can't take a test to save your life, but you can write an excellent novel in 5 days, you're going to stress over the GMAT.

For myself, I didn't stress over the GMAT except for the 20 seconds waiting on my score. And really, I didn't stress over the essays until I had some people read them over and tear them apart. I'm more stressed now with the waiting than anything else.

Of course, I didn't apply to 7 different places for R1 and I didn't apply to the top 7 schools either. So, there's always different points of view.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations! That is a great score. Now concentrate on those apps! :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
just out of curiosity - seeing as I've already submitted a bunch of apps and now I playing the soul-crushing waiting game - what are people's thoughts on how my low quant/high verbal scores will be viewed by Adcoms? A 690 overall score falls within a lot of schools 80-20 range, but the split( 63%Q/95%V) isn't exactly balanced . . .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you'll be fine. If you read the Cornell chat posted in that string, they quoted they look for 60% and above. Looks like you've hit that to me.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts