Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 Q45 V39 :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
690 Q45 V39 :( [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 06:21
So I'm a little disappointed w/ my score.
My prep:
I used OG11, and OG Quant review. I also purchased Kaplan 800 about 2 weeks ago, but only used it for the reate/ratio stuff. had the Kaplan CD and used it in the beginning, but i didn't like it - seemed like the questions were testing different stuff than the OG. After i finished the OG, i went back over every problem i got wrong, in depth. I also really used these forums a lot. From the time I finished the guide until now, i was really going deep - trying to learn everything, fundamentals, - memorizing formulas, geometric properties, etc.

My practice tests:
GMATPrep 1: (sometime in feb - without any studying):
Q37 V41 630
GMATPrep 1: 3/18 (after finishing OG11 Quant. did not recognize ANY questions):
Q46 V41 710
GMATPrep 2: 5/03
Q48 V44 740
GMATPrep 1: 5/12 (reinstall, saw about 3-4 Quant q's that i recognized from the OG & forums - but didn't immediately know the answer - still had to solve them)
Q50 V38 730
GMATPrep 2: 5/20 (same as above)
Q49 V44 750

5/22 (real thing) Q45 V39 690

I understand that my last few quant scores might have been inflated slightly because i recognized a few questions, but to score lower than I ever have in any of the practice tests? very frustrating.
I'm a native speaker, so i didn't put as much effort into studying verbal. I barely even use the forums for verbal. I did the hardest 50-75% in OG11 of each verbal type, and my hit rate was consistently over 90% in each. I never saw a repeat question in any of the V44's i scored on the gmat prep. I can't understand how i could bomb the verbal like that (i was equally surprised when i bombed it the one time in gmatprep w/ a 38 - looks like that was a bad omen).

About the test:
Quant
I definitely saw more "tricky" type questions than straightforward problems. Maybe it's just the way I remember it, but it seemed like a lot of complex statistics - lots of mean/median, and overlapping sets. The rest were very tricky number properties (factors, remainders, etc)
I'm guessing I maybe came out of the box real strong, and that's why the questions were so difficult? then i started to tank it? who knows...
Only got 2 geometry q's. Bricked on a real easy one. It took me all of about 12 seconds when i got home to realize that i couldn't get the answer to this easy problem b/c i was thinkng the area of a trapezoid is sum of bases * altitude. totally forgot to divide by 2. I think this was a sign of me being totally rattled. I know that like the back of my hand. I even got the "hard" part of the problem right.
Verbal
Dunno what to tell you. Seemed like a normal verbal section. Got 2 boldface q's. don't know what that means - never got them in gmatprep. I did start to see some SC's that seemed too easy, but I got that in gmatprep, too..

Summary
I don't know- I felt very groggy yesterday - that could have something to do w/ it. But also- i feel like I was in the "zone" about a month ago. Although I know more properties, rules, etc now than I did then - I feel like I'm making more errors now. I don't "get" word problems as easy as I used to. I think may have been better at solving them by twsiting & bending them in my head than trying to write out the correct equations. Maybe I'm "overthinking" now. Plus, I think I mught just be burned out.
Well, I'm trying to get into a top program - and I have a sub-par undergrad GPA, so this score just won't so. I've rescheduled for the end of july - at 5:30PM to avoid any possiblity of grogginess (none of the test centers around here have any mid-day appts. wtf???)

Anybody with any advice on hitting a wall, burn-out, or prepping after you've finished OG, I'd love to hear it!

Think I'm going to take a week or so break, then back at it!

Thanks to everyone for their help. This forum rocks!

PS- does anyone know if there's any way you can call & get a different appt. than what's available online? I find it hard to beleive that all the test centers around me only have 8:30AM & 9:00AM appointements! :?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 06:33
Pls dont feel bad !! Keep it up.
690 is a very good score. I can understand the frustration of not touching 700, but still this is a very good score indeed !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 12:45
Well, it's good score, but I am glad you are fighting again. This time don't forget to go through Challenges, they are tough but worth it.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 13:13
:king

Congrats for your good score. It is really good and balanced. It seems that you have the potential :) maybe what you need is only have some more practice .. I am sure you can do it ..

All the best ..
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 16:43
Dude, I do not know what to say!! And I know exactly how you feel!

I got 690 twice!! ETS and PV.. Felt like kicking myself and prolly shooting myself! Only if I was in texas and had a gun accessible!

But, then talking to seniors from Insead/HBS/Kelloggs/Wharton and even a friend who will be attending LBS this year (she got a 650), sounds like GMAT is not the only attribute.

GMAT is used to filter the application pool but does not guarantee admission. As long as you have the score within the 80%-tile range for the school you should be fine. I was told (by the seniors) not to bother abt GMAT is the score is <mean of school> +/-30 points!

Personally, I have decided to focus on the rest of the application and apply. Will see how it goes and in future, if I do not get in then will retake GMAT.

P.S.: Then again I know I can easily get 700+, I have solved lotsa tough problems here and other forums and its a bummer that I messed up the actual test!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2006, 16:04
Well, I just joined the 690 club this morning. I share a similar feeling of "so close, but no cigar". Best of luck as you go through the application process.

Jeff
  [#permalink] 29 May 2006, 16:04