Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACCA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 08:40
I first attempted GMAT 2 years ago when I just completed UG without substantial preparation inorder to see what the fuss was all about.I had a score of 640.

For the last 2 months, I have been preparing for the GMAT (2 hours a day on average). I used Kaplan premier and princton review:crack the gmat (the book's overemphasis on guessing is really annoying) for the fundamentals and torn through the 12th official guide (literally...the book is now in shreds). After these I took the GMAT prep and had a 710 and a 700 on the practice test. I was content as I felt that a score in the early 700s would suffice.

So last Saturday (18/9) I took the real test. Used a template for the AWA and felt that it went okay. However, 30 seconds were deducted from my time in quant. because I did not activate the timer on time (I left my system for the break which I thought was still 10 minutes). This put me in some kind of extra pressure during the quant. and I eventually had to guess on the last question ( I knew how to get the solution but with 30 seconds on the clock I could not take the chance ofnot finishing;if I had the 30 seconds I lost at the beginning I would have gotten the question and perharps gotten a 700 which sounds much better than 690).

Then I started the verbal section. I may have rushed it a bit as I did not really read the comprehensions and was mostly looking for the answers to the questions asked. I had 15 minutes left when I was on question 41. I choose what I thought was the answer and went thought the additional stuff at the end of the test hoping to see like a 710. Then I saw a 690 and my heart sank because I may have to rewrite the test at a later date.

I have been discussing with people. While some say that the score is okay. Some say that its better to retake the test and exceed the 700 mark since I have time. But I am not sure if the efforts required to achieve that is worth the extra 30 points on my current score.

So what do you think.

The school I am currently considering are;
INSEAD- My number one school=>gunning for the Jan. 2013 marticulation
Wharton
London Business School
Chicago
Columbia

My present profile.
23 M African (hope diversity is in my favor :-D )
My academic work at UG (Accounting) and graduate school (Accounting and Finance) are very good but not great.
1 year audit at Big4

I am hoping to switch to investment banking or PE/VC post MBA. Do people trying to switch to PE/VC concentrate on entrepreneurship or finance or both at B-school? I am hoping to have part completed CFA when I apply and aslo to be much better able to articulate my expectations post MBA.

And I have heard that post MBA, potential employers may use GMAT to screen potential employees. How truth is this?

Finally, what should I try to achieve in the next two years to be more competitive when I apply and how important are extra-curricular activities to being accepted to top MBAs.

I have gained good insights from this forum. Thank you.

real-business-school-admissions-essay-topics-humor-78619.html#p591652

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
First of all congrats on the nice increase in score. Time will be the issue here on whether or not you want to retake. Also there are some employers that do use GMAT to screen for employment, but in general it is not a common practice. Diversity will also help in your favor.

Good luck,
Dawg

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 477 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
schemer wrote:
I first attempted GMAT 2 years ago when I just completed UG without substantial preparation inorder to see what the fuss was all about.I had a score of 640.

For the last 2 months, I have been preparing for the GMAT (2 hours a day on average). I used Kaplan premier and princton review:crack the gmat (the book's overemphasis on guessing is really annoying) for the fundamentals and torn through the 12th official guide (literally...the book is now in shreds). After these I took the GMAT prep and had a 710 and a 700 on the practice test. I was content as I felt that a score in the early 700s would suffice.

So last Saturday (18/9) I took the real test. Used a template for the AWA and felt that it went okay. However, 30 seconds were deducted from my time in quant. because I did not activate the timer on time (I left my system for the break which I thought was still 10 minutes). This put me in some kind of extra pressure during the quant. and I eventually had to guess on the last question ( I knew how to get the solution but with 30 seconds on the clock I could not take the chance ofnot finishing;if I had the 30 seconds I lost at the beginning I would have gotten the question and perharps gotten a 700 which sounds much better than 690).

Then I started the verbal section. I may have rushed it a bit as I did not really read the comprehensions and was mostly looking for the answers to the questions asked. I had 15 minutes left when I was on question 41. I choose what I thought was the answer and went thought the additional stuff at the end of the test hoping to see like a 710. Then I saw a 690 and my heart sank because I may have to rewrite the test at a later date.

I have been discussing with people. While some say that the score is okay. Some say that its better to retake the test and exceed the 700 mark since I have time. But I am not sure if the efforts required to achieve that is worth the extra 30 points on my current score.

So what do you think.

The school I am currently considering are;
INSEAD- My number one school=>gunning for the Jan. 2013 marticulation
Wharton
London Business School
Chicago
Columbia

My present profile.
23 M African (hope diversity is in my favor :-D )
My academic work at UG (Accounting) and graduate school (Accounting and Finance) are very good but not great.
1 year audit at Big4

I am hoping to switch to investment banking or PE/VC post MBA. Do people trying to switch to PE/VC concentrate on entrepreneurship or finance or both at B-school? I am hoping to have part completed CFA when I apply and aslo to be much better able to articulate my expectations post MBA.

And I have heard that post MBA, potential employers may use GMAT to screen potential employees. How truth is this?

Finally, what should I try to achieve in the next two years to be more competitive when I apply and how important are extra-curricular activities to being accepted to top MBAs.

I have gained good insights from this forum. Thank you.

Hi Schemer, welcome to gmat club!!

I think your score is quite good. Just go through this thread to arrive a final decision.

should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Best of luck & keep us posted.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 09:13
with the schools you are applying i think a retake should be considered unless you got a killer GPA. Diversity helps though :). Did you check your answers for verbal? 15 mins is a lot of time...

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 09:39
shaselai wrote:
with the schools you are applying i think a retake should be considered unless you got a killer GPA. Diversity helps though :). Did you check your answers for verbal? 15 mins is a lot of time...

I definitely think our friend here could score 700+ without much more prep. 15 minutes is a lot.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 02:23
Dawgie wrote:
shaselai wrote:

I definitely think our friend here could score 700+ without much more prep. 15 minutes is a lot.
Hussain15 wrote:

Hi Schemer, welcome to gmat club!!

I think your score is quite good. Just go through this thread to arrive a final decision.

Best of luck & keep us posted.

I guess not finishing the quant. spurred me to finish the verbal even faster. Do people read the passage before attempting the questions or do they concentrate on looking for the answers to the questions in the passage? I think I may have lost points because of my approach in RC.

I am planning to retake the test around this time next year (I would have to recover my OG12 :x ). I am thinking 2 months of preparation (3 hours a day average). I am currently preparing for CFA level 1 (June 2011)and would be concentrating on that for now but I intend to contribute on this forum and learn more about b-school.

I am planning to use the manhattan books for preparation (going the self study route). But where can I get 700+ level questions which are not outside the scope of GMAT?(I see that OG12 contains 600-700 level questions) and are there other books or materials I should seriously consider reviewing inorder to get a score in the top percentiles (especially for quant generally and DS specifically because I feel that I am still guessing in DS)? Also, should I put off buying any books until around June next year? Because I am thinking that some awesome books may be released within the next year or the manhattan books may be updated.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 02:32
wow. you have a balanced score. you should be able to increase your quant and verbal with MGMAT books. I am trying my best to push from Q46 and V28 by using this forum and mgmat books.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 02:39
Dreamy wrote:
wow. you have a balanced score. you should be able to increase your quant and verbal with MGMAT books. I am trying my best to push from Q46 and V28 by using this forum and mgmat books.

I have read that the verbal books are great but I have not read much about the quant. books. Are the quant. books very good?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 04:04
Congratulations !
690 is good enough considering the diversity factor in your case.

If you feel like retaking the GMAT, you should try and improve your verbal score. Did you use Manhattan Sentence Correction book during your prep? If not, then the book is highly recommended :)
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 04:23
dokiyoki wrote:
Congratulations !

If you feel like retaking the GMAT, you should try and improve your verbal score. Did you use Manhattan Sentence Correction book during your prep? If not, then the book is highly recommended :)

I did not use any manhattan material. I would like to improve on both the quant. and verbal so I am also interested in getting a highly recommended quant. material especially for DS. Do you think I can significantly improve my quant. score with manhattan material and OG12?

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 04:54
schemer wrote:
dokiyoki wrote:
Congratulations !

I did not use any manhattan material. I would like to improve on both the quant. and verbal so I am also interested in getting a highly recommended quant. material especially for DS. Do you think I can significantly improve my quant. score with manhattan material and OG12?

You seem to have good foundation in the Quant section hence i wouldnt recommend the entire set of 5 Quant books. But I would strongly recommend MGMAT Number properties book if you wish to buy one at all.

You might also want to visit a local library or a book store to go through the rest of books of the set and figure which best suits your preparation needs.

You can also try GmatClub Tests. Have heard great things about it !
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 05:01
You might also want to check this out: http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-books-77703.html
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 05:20
dokiyoki wrote:

You seem to have good foundation in the Quant section hence i wouldnt recommend the entire set of 5 Quant books. But I would strongly recommend MGMAT Number properties book if you wish to buy one at all.

You might also want to visit a local library or a book store to go through the rest of books of the set and figure which best suits your preparation needs.

You can also try GmatClub Tests. Have heard great things about it !

I would like to know if the MGMAT books would be sufficient inorder to push my quant. score further (especially with algebra in DS)?

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 02:39
Guess i wasnt 'to the point'.
MGMAT should definitely help improve your Q score.
I am not sure if there are any good books available specifically for DS.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 03:29
schemer wrote:
I am hoping to switch to investment banking or PE/VC post MBA. Do people trying to switch to PE/VC concentrate on entrepreneurship or finance or both at B-school? I am hoping to have part completed CFA when I apply and also to be much better able to articulate my expectations post MBA.

what should I try to achieve in the next two years to be more competitive when I apply and how important are extra-curricular activities to being accepted to top MBAs.

schemer wrote:
[Also, should I put off buying any books until around June next year? Because I am thinking that some awesome books may be released within the next year or the manhattan books may be updated.

I would also appreciate insights on the questions above.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake?? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 14:07
I'll take a crack at your other questions (although the mod may move some of this discussion to another forum), but I would note that switching into PE/VC post-MBA, without any prior PE/investment banking/management consulting experience, is pretty difficult. I think that a concentration in finance makes would give you a bit more flexibility to move around (vs. entrepreneurship).

On the PE/VC front, you will have to pick a route and examine the reasons why you would like to go into that particular field. While they're both on the buyside, they're pretty different in what they do. In PE, most people come from backgrounds that are ex-investment banking or ex-strategy consultants. Sure, there are outliers, but you'll find that the large majority has a background in finance or business development. In VC, a lot of the work is built on relationships. Thus, a lot of VC shops tend to run 'lean'. Their associates usually trend older and know quite a bit about the businesses that they're investing in.

Investment banking, on the other hand, is a bit easier (on a relative basis) to break into post-MBA. A majority of the investment banks have pretty structured associate programs specifically geared towards post-MBA grads.
Re: 690 (Q46/V39)- Should I retake??   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2010, 14:07