Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 (Q47, V38): Still a long way to go, but it feels good

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

690 (Q47, V38): Still a long way to go, but it feels good [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2003, 15:57
First of all, I want to thank those guys who made possible such a good forum, I believe that it helped me quite much.

About the exam, well, the AWA part was easier than I thought, the argument thing was about business and the other was related to an issue not difficult to support. For international students like me, I would recommend working hard with 10 essays, that's enough.

Getting into this forum, I became aware that quantitative was being harder and harder, and well, you all are right; I almost did not finish on time. Tough questions, requiring fast calculations, lots of possitive/negative and even/odd questions. Don't focus too much on comb/perm/probability questions, I just got two and they were far easier than what I have seen here. Practice hard on arithmetic and algebra, be quick with your calculations, and you will do fine; don't overdo geometry problems, they were a joke.

Surprisingly, verbal was not so hard. Just one boldfaced question, only a 70-line reading (by the way, all of them were much friendlier than Kaplan's, so, don't feel scared if you make mistakes on the latter), basically inference/assumption questions on CR, SC was sometimes a nightmare, sometimes easy. I used the clock not to leave any question unanswered.

In addition, I would like to make the following suggestions from my personal experience:

1- Don't take too much time preparing for the test (my mistake), because it becomes too stressful. It's much better to inmerse into studying for a month than to study interruptedly for a long time span. Avoid spending lots of money in private classes, since there are good books available and there are great websites on the Internet.

2- Kaplan's scores are deceptive, don't trust them, hence, don't lose confidence. However, it's very helpful with numbers, since their problems are a bit harder. I also recommend the Verbal Workbook, it helped my scores to improve quite a lot.

3- During the test, forget about eating, there will be no time, just have a good breakfast.

4- Try to take the least possible with you, they give you the papers and pencils.

5- Don't worry much about doing specially right the first questions, otherwise, you may go into time trouble, which gets you more nervous. You could get into a lethal vicious circle.

6- Never cancel your scores, you could feel happily surprised (as I did) with them. What big thing do you have to lose?

7- Try to read the whole of every RC passage, but of course don't waste time with details. There were many questions about things in the middle of a paragraph.

Previous tests:
Kaplan: 560, 550, 550, 640
PP1: 710, PP2: 650

Finally, guys, do I stand any chance for one of the Top-10?

690 GMAT first time
3.5 years of working experience in a medium-sized company as its financial assistant, however, being influential in some of the company's decissions and having people under my charge
3.1-3.2 GPA (I have an Economics degree, the hardest career in my university)
27 years old

If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Take care you all and don't lose confidence.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

cool! [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 11:49
Christian,

Congratulations! 690 should at least get your application noticed by the top B-schools. However, if you want your application to stand out, you would need to highlight your academic, extra-curricular and career accomplishments in your essays. http://www.essayedge.com has a lot of free sample essays that should help you in this regard.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 17:50
Thanks a lot, bluefox. Do you think it is necessary to hire someone who offers help with all the process or there is enough information on the net?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 19:04
Based on my conversations with people who got into schools like Harvard and Columbia, there is enough information online to prepare applications.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of the admission screeners, what will they look for? A good score, good GPA, well-rounded work experience, strong recommendation letters, and most of all, essays - which should be unique and distinctive.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2003, 13:46
Christian, Congratulations on you score. Everyone is saying that Math is harder than they thought. Would you say that going over the math problems that are posted in this forum + the Kaplan CD is enough? Also, did you finish the verbal on time or had to guess some questions? Thank you,

Yoda

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2003, 19:34
Hey, Yoda. Thanks so much.
Well, I wouldn't dare to say that this forum and the Kaplan CD are enough, at least if you aim for a 50 scaled score. On the overall I feel glad but I wish I had a Q50, nevertheless, the Kaplan CD and the problems posted here can perfectly be your main source.
I finished the verbal just in time (with ninety seconds left for the last question) and guessed no questions. I was scared to leave questions unanswered, and the RC passages were not that long, that's why I think I could finish with all the questions.
  [#permalink] 14 Oct 2003, 19:34