Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 1st Attempt after 1-mo. of Studying - 690 (Q48, V36, IR4, AWA6.0) [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Rookie84,

First of all, a 690 is a great start! Based on the score breakdown of your exam, you are weaker in verbal than quant. Thus, you may consider focusing the majority of your study efforts on verbal (perhaps a 3 to 1 ratio of verbal to quant.)

When studying for your retake, you must keep in mind that the GMAT such a challenging exam is that there are relatively few questions asked in a given exam, yet those questions come from a huge topic pool. Thus, the best way to get a great GMAT score is to have a thorough understanding of all the topics that may be tested on the exam. To develop such mastery, you want to strive for linear and targeted learning and follow that with focused practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next. Have you been able to study in this way?

For example, when studying verbal, focus on learning one section at a time: reading comprehension, sentence correction, or critical reasoning. When learning about critical reasoning, you want to be able to learn about all aspects of critical reasoning: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Follow up your learning with focused critical reasoning practice, so you can determine your specific weaknesses within that topic. You should follow a similar routine for sentence correction and reading comprehension.

Also, to help improve your reading comprehension, I recommend reading publications such as the Economist, the New Yorker,Scientific American, or the Smithsonian so you can get used to reading and analyzing long, sophisticated passages that are well written.

To truly master sentence correction, you must develop mastery of grammar rules (parallelism, subject/verb agreement, etc.) and accepted English usage. In addition to your dedicated study, notice grammar and usage in your everyday life. Be aware of the things you habitually read, in terms of sentence structure, how phrases are worded, and whether pronouns are easy to understand. Make sure you use proper grammar in your everyday writing as well. Have you put parallel ideas into parallel constructions? Do all of your pronouns refer appropriately to their antecedents? The more you reinforce your study with related activity outside of your study, the greater the likelihood you will master the topics, and have fun doing so!

For quant, since you scored a 48 on your GMAT, you might consider following a similar but slightly altered approach that consists of more focused practice. For example, if you are reviewing number properties, be sure that you can practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. The results of that practice will help you determine your weak areas within that topic. Once you find and fix your weak areas, then move on to the next quant topic.

Also, I see that for your initial GMAT you studied a lot with the Official Guide. While the Official Guide is a great book because it has official questions from past GMATs, it has limited instruction and does not provide full exposure to all GMAT topics. Thus, for your retake, you may consider seeking out some robust prep materials that provide sufficient targeted practice for you to discover and fix your weak areas.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me directly.

First of all, thank you so much for such a detailed advice! It must have taken you a while to type all of that, so I really appreciate your effort and time put in to offer me a great advice.

I always thought quant was my weaker area because my percentile is lower in quant than verbal. For my GMAT, it is 71% Q vs. 81% V. I guess I could have been misguided.

My weakest area in verbal is SC, which is the reason why I started reading MGMAT SC book. RC was never a problem as long as I spent long enough time to read the passages carefully. For CR, I could definitely use a better strategy. I usually finish verbal section with 10 minutes to spare, so I guess I should take things slower next time to be as careful as possible.

Looking back, for quant, I was able to tackle and solve all problems except maybe 2 or 3. However, I know that I continuously make silly mistakes in calculation and sometimes misread what the question is asking. I am planning to get more practice in and eliminate those for my retake. I was also second guessing myself a lot because the problems actually seemed easy to be 700 level. So I was constantly thinking to myself, "did I get series of questions wrong to get this easy question?" That might have thrown me off as well.

However, since my mock CAT results pretty much agree with my GMAT score, I guess I got the score that indicates my true ability at this moment.

Just gotta buckle down and put more time in, I guess. As you said, I will put more time into verbal. I was so focused on getting 50+ in quant next time that I didn't even plan to spend that much time for verbal. You might have saved me there! :-D

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 1st Attempt after 1-mo. of Studying - 690 (Q48, V36, IR4, AWA6.0) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Rookie84,

First off, a 690/Q48 is a fantastic score (it's just a bit shy of the 90th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). This is all meant to say that you could have very easily scored 700+ on the GMAT. However, your scores are so consistent that you might be making certain little mistakes over and over as you take the GMAT. As a way to gauge this issue, you should do a full review of your last CAT - how many questions did you get wrong because of a silly/little mistake?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Rookie84,

First off, a 690/Q48 is a fantastic score (it's just a bit shy of the 90th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). This is all meant to say that you could have very easily scored 700+ on the GMAT. However, your scores are so consistent that you might be making certain little mistakes over and over as you take the GMAT. As a way to gauge this issue, you should do a full review of your last CAT - how many questions did you get wrong because of a silly/little mistake?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you so much, Rich.

1) I am planning to apply in R2 for fall 2017 intake.

2) My target schools are Rotman, Schulich, and Desautels (McGill). Looking at Canadian schools exclusively due to ease of acquiring a work visa and permanent residency.

I did do a full review of every CAT I took immediately after I was done. In quant, I do make silly mistakes although I have reduced the number of such mistakes. I probably get at least 2 questions wrong because of this. I think more practice is the only way to solve this issue... I am so used to using calculator for everything to the point that I sometimes get simple multiplications wrong.

I also think that my IR score indicates that I was not on the top of my game that day... I could have possibly made a lot of silly mistakes. :x
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Rookie84,

I’m happy to see that you are going to spend some more time with verbal prep. Remember to follow my original advice of mastering one topic at a time, so you can most efficiently find and fix your weak areas.

For quant, since you already scored a 48, with some dedicated practice, I believe you can achieve a 50+ quant score.

If you have already exhausted the questions in the OG, and are looking for some more quant practice, I welcome you to take my free 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you will be provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level of all GMAT quant topics, as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Rookie84,

I’m happy to see that you are going to spend some more time with verbal prep. Remember to follow my original advice of mastering one topic at a time, so you can most efficiently find and fix your weak areas.

For quant, since you already scored a 48, with some dedicated practice, I believe you can achieve a 50+ quant score.

If you have already exhausted the questions in the OG, and are looking for some more quant practice, I welcome you to take my free 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you will be provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level of all GMAT quant topics, as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much. I will take a look at your free diag quant test later this week. :) I will most definitely keep your advice in mind.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Update: Just got my official report and I scored 6.0 in AWA! I strictly stuck to the structure of this guide ( how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html ) and it really paid off for me. I highly recommend it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
1st Attempt after 1-mo. of Studying - 690 (Q48, V36, IR4, AWA6.0) [#permalink]
Just scored 730 (Q49, V41, IR6) on GMAT Prep EP1 - Test 3. I am stoked. I spent about equal time on solving quant CATs from GMAT Club tests and studying SC questions from OG 2016. I will probably try to take at least 2 more CATs this week, and if I can score similarly, I'm heading off for a 2nd attempt. Since my actual test score was extremely consistent with my previous mock CATs, I am hoping for a good result especially since I will be putting more time into studying before taking the next real test!

Huge thanks to Scott for advising me to put more effort into verbal section. I had never crossed the 40 mark before even in my mock CATs, and it seems like the strategy is paying off well, at least for now. :P
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Not getting as much study time as I had originally planned... but making some progress nonetheless.

Scored 710 (Q49 V39 IR7) on Kaplan CAT5 just now. I'm just updating my progress here so I can refer back to it when I write my debrief after my 2nd attempt.

Looks like I can get most of 500 and 600 level questions right in quant and have reduced the number of silly mistakes significantly. I need to work more on 700 level questions to score 50+.

I am getting much better hit rates in SC questions. I will probably dedicate some studying time for CR and RC from now on.

BTW, GMAT Club quant tests are very hard. I have scored 47, 44, 47 respectively in my last three but scored 49 in both GMAT Prep and Kaplan tests. I do feel like they are improving my quant skills, though.

Gearing up for a 2nd attempt in 2 weeks. I am pretty confident of scoring 700+ now. I have raised the bar and now am aiming for 720+.

I will probably take one more GMAT Prep CAT this week.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Scored 720 (Q49, V39, IR8) on GMAT Prep EP1 - Test 4. Glad to have another confirmation that I am surely in 700 level now, but now that I can consistently score in low 700s in the mock CATs, I feel like I can do better. I am torn between just going for 2nd attempt now and studying 1~2 weeks additionally in order to aim for mid-700s.

I feel like once I get any score over 700, I will never have any further motivation to study.

Decisions... decisions...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts