Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690(Q48, V36) - what happened!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
690(Q48, V36) - what happened! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 07:51
I can only say that 'the force' saved me. I know that 690 is NO GREAT score but going by what I was expecting AFTER MY VERBAL section this score is satisfactory.

It was the most amazing test-taking experience of my life.

the 2 essay questions were easy and straightforward. Be sure to have a template as it saves time and gives clarity in thinking.

Quantitative - I was upset a bit at the start because I could not finish my argument essay properly and in fact i think that I did not clos ethe essay preperly at all (yeah imagine that!). The section was ok at start but then I got THE SHOCK. I was actually asked to calculate the standard deviation for a set of 4 numbers. Though the method to calculate was given in the problem itself, still i did not expect it. initially while reading the problem I thought that I had to solve the 'method' itself ... but then I realised that it was just the base of a problem (don't have time to write in detail). Everything else was pretty ok. As said so many times, if you do the basics right for Probability, combinations and permutations then the related problems are a breeze. They were pretty straightforward. Thanks stolyar for the problems on the forum. They helped a lot and some of them were quite similar ... shall find and post the links of those problems if anone interested. And yes, I was short on time for the last 5 questions (3 mins left) and so solved 2 correctly and guess 'intelligently' on the other 3.

Verbal - MAN WHAT DID I DO!! All the time strategies, the planning - everything went for a big toss. The way I solved this section is truly unbelievable and I won't blame you guys if you think I am lying .. but seriously I am not lying here. RC has ALWAYS been my weakest point in GMAT preparation and it proved to be my downfall in the final analysis too. I was praying God not to give me RC first up - and guess what I got ... 8 out of the first 12 questions we RC questions. First 2 were SC, then 4 RC (40 lines) then 2 (1 SC and 1CR) and then again 4 RC (75 lines). And now is the stupid UNBELIEVABLE part on my side ..... guess how much time I took 18-20 FREAKIN' MINUTES per RC. When I finished the first 12 questions I WAS LEFT WITH ONLY 35 minutes ... at that time I TOTALLY LOST IT and the thought of cancelling the score started creeping in (though knowing myself I would have never done it). Then I took some more time for the next 8 questions - these were solved very badly as I was frustrated with myself for having spent so much time for the first 8 qsns. Then finally i realized that I had to do last 21 questions in 23 minutes .. just imagine what state. PLEASE GUYS DO NOT FALL INTO THIS SITUATION . PLEASE PLAN THE TIMING THING PROPERLY. Then came the best part of the exam as I re-motivated myself and decided that I am into it for better or for worse nad decided to give it all that I have. So 1 min per qsn for the last 20 qsns - my strategy was to not to worry about RC qsn (which were 7 after this point) and solve with 'instinct' and 'intelligent guessing' the remaining CR and SC qsns. I literally did not and could not spend more than 1 min on any of the qsns. For RC I was following the strategy of reading the qsn and then the part of the paragraph to which it was related and answering that qsn.
SC and CR were not difficult 'technically' difficult at all but SCs were definitely long. Practise in the forum helped a lot. Though, very interestingly I might add, I think what helped me most is the fact that I solved most of the CR and SC questions on this forum during my office hours at work where I had the pressue of someone possibly watching me, and having the luxury of reading the questions only once in a min and answering them and then moving ahead with work or another questions. It was a similar situation that I faced in the exam and so i think i could answer each of the last 20 qsns in 1 minute or less. ALSO, if you practise enough I have also found out that you can eliminate 3 choices AT LEAST without even looking at the original sentence. I did end up guessing on the last 3 qsns though.

I do remember a lot from the exam but I cant reveal the actual questions as we know. I shall try to recollect the questions and frame similar ones if I can after 1 week and if anyone is still interested.

Details later (if the above are not enuff) as taking off for vacation. Shall post the details after a week. Please post comments or questions if any.

i hope this score is good enuff for me to secure an admission. What my experience taught me is that I should have PLANNED it better in terms of timing and also that if I take it again I am 110% confident of getting atleast 730.

FINALLY - it definitely helps if someone (read wife) is literally waiting for you in the center waiting area for all 4 hours and is there to give you moral support and water and some food during each and every break. Thanks ....

Last edited by pitts20042006 on 24 Dec 2003, 08:07, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 07:55
Thanks a lot praetorian, Akamaibrah, stolyar for your questions and explanations ... and all others for posting the questions and having the discussions. IT HELPS A LOT. All non-participating members - do take part in discussions and start aswering questions. No body is here to judge you and you are not going to get a 500 because you answered incorrectly on this forum - what you will again is solidity in your thought process .... once you present an argument and someone points out what is wrong or right about it - your thought process develops in a better way. Also you get into the grove of thinking as needed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
my scores and profile [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 08:02
I took a LOT of tests and have my scores recorded .. I can/shall post them if anybody is interested ... though none are too spectacular.

As we all know PP was the closest ... it is quite interesting how close it is to the actual score, though this very fact disappoints me about myself.

PP1 = 680
PP2 = 700
Both these exams were taken about 2 months ago when I actually started studying for GMAt (after some 1.5 months of not-serious preparation).
This upsets me because then what did I do for 2 months if at that time itself m average score was 690!!!??? Hmmm......
Kaplan test = 550 - 590 (took 4 of them, NEVER take these in the last month before the exam - they will kill you confidence).
5 800score tests (Q-43-49; for some reasons the 5th test that I took gave me a scaled score of 59 and 99 percentile .. this was the last test 2 days before the actual exam .. I dont know what right I did during that test!! V 32-37)
ARCO tests - don't have the scores right noe
Baron - don't have the scores right noe
Prnceton review - 690

My profile in brief
(Undergrad) - Engineering - Computer science
(Grad) Masters in Computer Science
(Work exp) 2+ years

Nothing unique there - let's see hoe the admission process goes!

Last edited by pitts20042006 on 24 Dec 2003, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 08:29
Wow. Great Score. Thanks for writting down the entire experience. This will really help me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 08:33
Congrats man .. are you planning to try again with a different verbal prep approach?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 08:36
I firmly believe that with your work-profile and graduate/undergraduate study records you will be able to secure the admission in one of the top Univs. GMAT was the just stepping stone, now you need to concentrate on the application process and the interviews. You know that matters alot. The average score for top univs comes out between 670-700. Furthermore, you have got everything on the positive side, just concentrate on the applications and see what's waiting in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 08:46
Thanks guys.

As of now, I am NOT planning to take it again ... just because I will miss the deadlines if I take it again. Though I sooo want to because now I am confident of scoring more even without any preparation ... just a better and a smarter approach.

One more thing, though it is not exactly an advice or anything, in the last 2-3 weeks or so, when in office, I was trying to beat others on this forum to post my answer first - I am not kiddish or anything! - but it is an exercise that I was putting myself through - so that I commit to an answer in writing (by typing here) so that I know what my thought process was and how it needs to change if the ans was wrong.

In that process dj, asandeep, stoolfi, .... all helped a lot because everyone was ready with his/her answers.

I wanted to go thru the process because without commiting myself I found that I would give myself a reason that 'oh yes, this answer is correct and that is what I WOULD HAVE answered' .... I call this self deception and I wanted to come out of it.

Don't put stupid answers just for the heck of it, but try to take no more than 2 mins while posting your answers, and think of it as an exam situation where a wrong answer will lower your score - you will be more serious that way - ... again no body is going to kill you if you are wrong .. but this exercise might help you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 08:53
learn the difference between the usages of "as" and "just as" and the difference between the two ;)

exterior angles of a triangle ;)

noun-verb agreement and special cases in them example: difference between 'a number of people' and 'the number of people' and the verb that would follow ;)

perimeter and area of rectangle and circle ;)

review:
tips and startegies from gmatclub THANKS BB
Kaplan: Math review AND Verbal review = v v imp and v v good. Did it in the last 2 hrs before exam for the first time!
Princeton review - verbal workout: SC is really very good.
800scores tests are no big deal but almost all of them have RC coming in as the 2nd questions - it did no make me smarter but may help you.

I know I shouldn't be giving advice and all ... but this forum has given me a lot and I want to give something back f possible .. in whatever way.

I hope you understand what I mean by ;) above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 08:57
try to have discussions about english grammar with anyone and everyone, try to get them involved .. in that way some questions will be raised ... MAKE IT A POINT TO DO RESEARCH ON THOSE QUESTIONS and get your doubts clarified.

I found the actual difference between past tense and present perfect tense just 3 days before the exam!

GET YOUR BASICS RIGHT!!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 08:57
It just the mindset that makes one run after 700+ score. I am also hoping for the same,anyway ;-). the point is that even if you have a 750, you may not get the admission, but may land-up at a great place with a 670.

I guess, it 's the competition against one's own ability to perform good on the exam. any exam for that matter.

Just give your best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 09:00
very true DJ. One of the first thoughts that came to my mind after getting my score was 'SH$T! I could have easily gotten a 720+. I will take it again in the next 2 weeks'. But my situation does not allow me to do so. For starters I am off on a long due vacation starting today for the next 10 days. Then application deadlines and all ... I haven't even started with applications essays, recos or anything at all.

But I will take the exam if I don't secure an admission in the schools that I want in with this score, cause now I know ...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 09:58
Hey Pitts, I'm sorry to hear about the fact that you did not perform as well as you would have wanted to but 690 is still very good. Definitely that if you did not secure an admission, you should go again. Thank you for posting your scores for the different test preps. I have to ask you though, is the difference between
'a number of people' and
'the number of people'
is that the former would have a plural verb following and the latter would have a singular verb following?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 15:52
Hey pitts20042006, Congrats buddy.

I think your GMAT score is good enough to get you in.
All you need is to put efforts in the application and the essays.
Best of luck for the admissions !

Enjoy your vacation..

:musband
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2003, 18:22
pitts20042006,

I can very comfortably imagine the situation you faced but "The return of pitts20042006 confidence" played the real part. I believe that your score is just right to make a dent in the admission process. Concentrate on the essays now.

Also you were telling about the writup of all the urls. That would be nice. Thanks.

Bhai
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2003, 10:15
pitts20042006 wrote:
Thanks a lot praetorian, Akamaibrah, stolyar for your questions and explanations ... and all others for posting the questions and having the discussions. IT HELPS A LOT. All non-participating members - do take part in discussions and start aswering questions. No body is here to judge you and you are not going to get a 500 because you answered incorrectly on this forum - what you will again is solidity in your thought process .... once you present an argument and someone points out what is wrong or right about it - your thought process develops in a better way. Also you get into the grove of thinking as needed.

Congrats.

good luck with the application process.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2003, 17:12
Deleted

Last edited by SepidehGazeri on 25 Apr 2008, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Happy new year to all of you. [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 12:48
Hi all, am back after my vacation to Las Vegas, LA, Hoover dam and Grand Canyon :)

SepidehGazeri, I'll be really happy if you can gain from my experience.

praetorian123 , Bhai , asandeep Thanks for your comments and encouragement.

Any tips on application process is much appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 12:52
Bhai wrote
Quote:
Also you were telling about the writup of all the urls. That would be nice. Thanks.

Bhai, I am not sure what you are talking about here.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Happy new year to all of you. [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 12:55
pitts20042006 wrote:
Hi all, am back after my vacation to Las Vegas, LA, Hoover dam and Grand Canyon :)

SepidehGazeri, I'll be really happy if you can gain from my experience.

praetorian123 , Bhai , asandeep Thanks for your comments and encouragement.

Any tips on application process is much appreciated.

wow...!! hover makes a great site for bungee jumping..
officials didn't let me :cry:

good luck..!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2004, 15:55
Pitts*,

Congratulations.

Had question about the RC passages: How do the RC passages (both the content and the questions) in the actual test compare with what is in the official guide?

THank.s
  [#permalink] 25 Jan 2004, 15:55