Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 ( V : 42 Q: 42) : Its not over till its over

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

690 ( V : 42 Q: 42) : Its not over till its over [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2006, 10:52
I just took the GMAT .
I wanted to share my experience for the benefit of others studying for this test .

I've prepared for about 5 months now . ..very seriously for the last 3 months .
I did not find out about this form till a week before my GMAT - so I've not participated in any challenges or discussions here .

I derived a great deal of inspiration from the posts here and want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone whose been so helpful with their posts .

My test CAT scores as follows :
(All in a 2 week period before my test )

PR 1 : 700
PR2 : 640
PR3 : 620
PR4 : 610
Kaplan 1 : 600
Prep 1 : 710
Prep 2 : 710

Written Tests
Kaplan : 589
Kaplan : 590
Arcos1 : 700
Arcos2 : 680
Arcos 3 : 710
Arcos 4 : 720
Arcos 5 : 720
Arcos 6 : 700

The road to the Test :
Books I used :
- Official Guide 11 the ed ( math , verbal and the combined one )
- Kaplan official Guide
-Princeton Review
- Kaplan Verbal Workout
-Kaplan Math Workout
-Arcos
- Arcos AWA book

I strongly recommend the Kaplan Verbal Workout and Math workout .

If I had to do it all over again - I would have started with the Kaplan
This was by far the most difficult test material . I was in tears after taking the first Kaplan CAT and began to wuestion how I ever became an engineer .

The Math Review in the Princeton book is fabulous as well.
The sumarize each section and its very useful just reading this on the last day .

ARCOS - it has 6 written tests that are pretty representative of the actual test . This really helped me learn to stay focused for 3 hours and not get tired .

My strategy was as follows :

I went through the official guide 2 times .
The first time - I made notes on every wrong answer , and I was consistently getting about 20 % answers wrong .
When you solve problems in the official guide - I suggest mixing it up ,
I would try and do 20 questions of each question type
So id do 20 RCS + 20 CR'S + 20 SC's
This helped me get a fel about how things would be on the test .

The second time - I made a note of answers I got wrong on both tries .

Then the week before the test - I only solved the answers I got wrong in all sections , and this really helped me identify problem areas .

The last 30 questions in each OG section are very representative of the actual test .

Going into quant - I was miserable in two tpes of problems , rate and distance and Mixtures : so I tried to solve more problems around that ,
Kaplan Math workout was a winner all the way !

The week before the test :
I took two CATS GMATPrep .
Just revised concepts and chilled .
Didnt do anything weekend before the test - just reviewed mistakes from previous exams

The Actual Test :

1. It is just like the software that comes when you register for the test , in look and feel and overall difficulty .
2. When you take the practice CAT's - try and take them at the same time of the day as the actual test and take breaks when you take them .
3. The erasable noteboards werent bad at all . It was a booklet of paper like laminated sheets and a thick pen - so it feels like a Pilot pen and not like a ball pen .

Here is what happened to me at the test center today :

1. AWA started without any incident . I had some nice topics and didnt have to spend too much energy on the issue or argument .
2. Took a Break
3. When Quant started - I had the wind knocked out of my senses , I didnt know if it was too easy or too difficult ..there were a lot of grey areas for me in the quant section today .
In all my paper and CAT'S - i've been consistenly scoring above 90 % in QUANT - but jugding by todays test , strength lies in numbers and mine was missing :)

4. I took the entire 10 minute break between quant and verbal.
It was hilarious - i was drining boost ..and I rememberd this really corny Indian commercial that said " Boost is the secret of my energy " ..and laughed ..I was so upset after the math section ..But I pepped myself up ..and said that I wouldnt quit and I would do everything to stay in the game ..

5. Back in 10 . Verbal section was a test . I actually smiled at every question and said ...u know what i'm going to screw you ..lol! ..I ended up with a 95 % in verbal ..something that has never happened to date .

Bottom Line :

When I srated studying - someone told me that the GMAT is not a test of how good you are ..its a test of how good you are at the GMAT ...and my preparation and performance through the past few months has led me to believe that its more of a mental test - to see how strong you are , than how good you are .
Remember - that at any point in the test , you have a chance of turing the
test around .
Its not over till its over .

If I'd heard about thsi forum before - I think I would have definately signed up for the challenges and I'm sure the benefits would be huge .

For now - I'm pretty happy with the 690 :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2006, 10:57
Congratulations on your score!!

It was inspiring to read about your experience...

Good luck with the apps!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2006, 11:04
Congratulations :) Best of luck for your applications :D
  [#permalink] 11 Sep 2006, 11:04