Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

7^2)*2!*4!*6!/9! is divided by 14. Find the quotinent

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2003
Posts: 1613
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

7^2)*2!*4!*6!/9! is divided by 14. Find the quotinent [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2003, 23:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
(7^2)*2!*4!*6!/9! is divided by 14. Find the quotinent.
:out
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2003
Posts: 54
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2003, 22:56
skoper wrote:
i got 1/3


sorry, I guess that would make the quotient 0 then....with some remiander
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

7^2)*2!*4!*6!/9! is divided by 14. Find the quotinent. [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2006, 08:11
The quotient would be 4 with remainder 2

After solving I get 42/9 or 14/3.
Is this correct.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: PS:QUOTINENT [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2006, 11:51
[(7^2)(2!)(4!)(6!)/9!]/14

= [7(2!)(4!)/(9)(8)]/14

= (4!)/(9)(8)

= 1/3

Quotient = 0
Remainder = 1

Is this right?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2006, 13:10
(7^2)*2!*4!*6!/9! =

= 7 * ((2 * 4) * 7 * 6!) * 3!/9!
= 7 * 3! * 8!/9!
= 42/9

Now dividing this by 14 yields 42/(9*14)

So Quotient = 0
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

Re: PS:QUOTINENT [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2006, 13:13
coolfish1103 wrote:
[(7^2)(2!)(4!)(6!)/9!]/14

= [7(2!)(4!)/(9)(8)]/14

= (4!)/(9)(8)

= 1/3

Quotient = 0
Remainder = 1

Is this right?


Quotient can be found out this way but not the remainder.

To find the remainder you can not cancel out the numbers.

Example
40/15: Quotient = 2 and remainder = 10

But if you consider 40/15 = 8/3 then Quotient is still 2 but remainder is 2 instead of 10.

For the main question if you want to find the remainder then do not can cancel out any number. This gonna take a long time and I hope this doesn't appear on real GMAT.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: PS:QUOTINENT [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2006, 13:37
ps_dahiya wrote:
Quotient can be found out this way but not the remainder.

To find the remainder you can not cancel out the numbers.

Example
40/15: Quotient = 2 and remainder = 10

But if you consider 40/15 = 8/3 then Quotient is still 2 but remainder is 2 instead of 10.

For the main question if you want to find the remainder then do not can cancel out any number. This gonna take a long time and I hope this doesn't appear on real GMAT.


so... for this particular problem do we have to multiply everything out or we can do the cancellations for everything except the 14 since we are suppose to divide by 14? (That might be easier?)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

Re: PS:QUOTINENT [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2006, 14:07
coolfish1103 wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
Quotient can be found out this way but not the remainder.

To find the remainder you can not cancel out the numbers.

Example
40/15: Quotient = 2 and remainder = 10

But if you consider 40/15 = 8/3 then Quotient is still 2 but remainder is 2 instead of 10.

For the main question if you want to find the remainder then do not can cancel out any number. This gonna take a long time and I hope this doesn't appear on real GMAT.



so... for this particular problem do we have to multiply everything out or we can do the cancellations for everything except the 14 since we are suppose to divide by 14? (That might be easier?)


Calculate the terms on upper side and lower side sepertaly from the start and then find the remainder.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Re: PS:QUOTINENT   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2006, 14:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic Find the number that divides 16!+1? ankitranjan 5 20 Oct 2010, 02:52
In the first Diagnostic Test #14 shows an equation to find adebar 1 11 Apr 2008, 10:12
find the maximum power of 6 that wil divide 65 FN 7 18 Aug 2006, 13:34
7^2)*2!*4!*6!/9! is divided by 14. Find the quotinent gmat_crack 8 16 Apr 2006, 12:03
Find the coordinates of the point which divides the line revital 3 28 Nov 2004, 06:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

7^2)*2!*4!*6!/9! is divided by 14. Find the quotinent

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.