Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

7 Days until G-Day

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 09:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Honestly, I haven't been this excited about something in a long time. I've been putting tremendous effort into preparing for the GMAT, and it is going to pay off next Wednesday. Thanks to the suggestions from other posters here, I've been doing as many re-takes of the GMATPrep tests (full exams on Saturdays and half exams before work each morning). While I have seen some repeated problems, my Verbal scores have been going through the roof. I scored 47V on Monday and 46V today. Today's test seemed to be nearly all new questions compared with the last time I took it. Quant has been interesting. I have been hovering between 47-49 on my re-takes. I find that I will think I have done poorly on a given test, only to find it wasn't as bad as I thought. This seems to support suggestions that one need not attempt to predict a score.

My plan for the next six days is to take one more GMATPrep test tomorrow. I will then focus on repeating questions from the OG, along with questions I missed during my GMATPrep exams (I kept an error log for the last few exams). I will also spend a great deal of time reviewing concepts I have not yet mastered. Is this a good idea? I decided not to take an additional full-length practice test during the last few days, as I want to keep the following thought in my mind: "I scored well on last week's test, and after this extensive prep the last seven days, I'm going to trump that score on G-Day." I also find that I do best when I study a ton before the test, keep my studying light the day before the test (perhaps just flipping through flash cards a couple times), and then walk into the test center KNOWING I'm going to beat the crap out of the exam.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my plan for the next seven days. I'm looking forward to making my own version of the elated posts shared by various members over the last couple months.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 11:07
Good luck to you, I have mine next Saturday and I'm taking the next two days off of work to slam it for 4 days straight. I plan on continuing with GMAT Challenges and reviewing MGMAT SC and OG SC & CR. Take 3-4 MGMAT CATs and then GMAT Prep 2 on Sunday and maybe again on Monday night. Then AWA on Tuesday, review Wed. and some Thursday and then I'm done. If I can't round everything out by then, then I guess I'll never learn it.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 11:31
Best of luck to you too! You've been very helpful in answering my questions in the Math forum, and I sincerely appreciate it. If I can do anything to help, please don't hesitate to ask.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 11:50
Suggestion from my experience (if you are better at RC , ignore this comment) : I got overconfident during my last week of gmat preparation and did not focus on RC which already was my weak point . I somehow did not realize that even though I was getting correct answers in new RCs with GMATPrep repeat , that was due to extra time at hand . Make sure you manage your time well with RC and keep working on that too .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 11:59
Hey,
My bigday is on tuesday, so yeah I am also riding on adrenaline. Just got off work today and have 5 days to give this my best shot.Planning to give one test each day,and do 1 challenge and a short drill of verbal eachday from the OG.
Dont know if this is over kill but I do not intend to do anywork except revise some stuff from flash cards and think about AWA on my last day.

SO thats the plan so far. Good luck!!!

Last edited by ventivish on 14 May 2008, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 12:07
Good luck to you Ventivish!! Let me know if I can help. I appreciate that Meddling, I know you have been very helpful in my preperation as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 12:17
jb32 wrote:
Good luck to you Ventivish!! Let me know if I can help. I appreciate that Meddling, I know you have been very helpful in my preperation as well.

Hey thanks jb32, goodluck to you too!!! AH this will all be over and then what will we do??(There's always applications!!)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 13:00
So lot of cool scores around the corner.

Good luck to all of you.

Only one advice. REST WELL
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 13:17
kyatin wrote:

Good luck to all of you.

That's something I'm concerned most about. My test is at 8:00am, so I have been going to bed at 10:00pm and waking up at 6:00am for the last month or so. I'm definitely used to it by now. However, I continue to wake up about 10+ times throughout the evening, and then falling right back asleep. I've debated taking Tylenol PM or something, but I don't want to be groggy the next day. I had difficulty sleeping the night before CFA Level 1, took Tylenol PM, and fell right asleep. I was on my game the next morning.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 13:36
Best of luck to all three of you guys. I expect to see some success stories next week! My bit of advice, in addition to resting well, is to not get too hyped up about taking the test. Just go in there and treat it like any of the practice CATs you've taken over the past weeks/months.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 13:37
Meddling, meant to ask you, how have your GMAT Challenge scores been coming along? I'm just curious what your correalation is currently with GMAT Prep Math? I know we were both pretty similar a few weeks back.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 13:55
jb32 wrote:
Meddling, meant to ask you, how have your GMAT Challenge scores been coming along? I'm just curious what your correalation is currently with GMAT Prep Math? I know we were both pretty similar a few weeks back.

Hey jb,

I correctly answered 25/37 questions in the last GMATClub Challenge I took (last week). While I recognize the benefit of these tests, I decided not to focus on them for the last week of my prep, in order to concentrate on formats/style of the actual GMAT questions. This was a hard decision, since I was getting some benefit from the difficult nature (along with the way it forces me to know concepts in and out) of the challenges. My GMATPrep quant scores have ranged from 46-49, with the recent ones being closer to the 47-48 level. My goal on test day is a Q49.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 14:31
MeddlingKid wrote:
kyatin wrote:

Good luck to all of you.

That's something I'm concerned most about. My test is at 8:00am, so I have been going to bed at 10:00pm and waking up at 6:00am for the last month or so. I'm definitely used to it by now. However, I continue to wake up about 10+ times throughout the evening, and then falling right back asleep. I've debated taking Tylenol PM or something, but I don't want to be groggy the next day. I had difficulty sleeping the night before CFA Level 1, took Tylenol PM, and fell right asleep. I was on my game the next morning.

Well...like YihWei said, just dont hype it as a special day and you will automatically calm down.
Also keep day before test as light as possible.
Do only easy stuff that will make you feel more confident...this will help you relax your mind and also from what I have read studying too hard on day before is not gonna change your score a lot, at least for GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 15:04
In my last few days, I just took repeated GmatPrep. I did this not to learn any new concepts but to get used to sitting on my butt for 4 hours and increase my focus.
Best of LUCK.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 15:32
Do you all think it's acceptable for me to bolster my conceptual understanding of various areas I've had weaknesses in? Or should I be taking GMATPreps each day, with the exception of the final day?
Current Student
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 16:17
good luck meddling kid.

i think you should not retake a gmatprep less than 3 days before test. i wont take a full less than 6 days.

i think its important to keep mind really fresh. besides 3 days before test, you shoul dhave already 'trained' yourself for mental endurace of test.

keep fresh.

review weaknesses.

i feel a big score coming from you.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 16:21
Good luck guys, there's a few of you with a test coming up soon. I hope to hear excellent success stories.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 16:35
irishspring wrote:
good luck meddling kid.

i think you should not retake a gmatprep less than 3 days before test. i wont take a full less than 6 days.

i think its important to keep mind really fresh. besides 3 days before test, you shoul dhave already 'trained' yourself for mental endurace of test.

keep fresh.

review weaknesses.

i feel a big score coming from you.

Thanks, man. I'm going to earn my 750 score on Wednesday. You heard it here first. :)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 17:18
Yeah, I've been taking the GMAT Challenges and here are my scores for the first ten. Usually there are about 2-3 more questions I can get right and I've accepted that as the limit of my abilities.

Test Correct Total % Correct Percentile
m01 26 36 72.2% 63.0%
m02 25 36 69.4% 36.3%
m03 23 37 62.2% 44.8%
m04 25 37 67.6% 55.3%
m05 24 37 64.9% 57.9%
m06 29 36 80.6% 89.7%
m07 23 37 62.2% 38.1%
m08 18 37 48.6% 45.5%
m09 25 37 67.6% 59.3%
m10 24 37 64.9% 51.3%

I just can't seem to really make a noticeable improvement. There are always 5-6 questions I might be able to solve in 15 minutes, but probably no less than that. I'm going to keep studying the basics and hopefully I can get to 70-75% correct by the end of the weekend. The good news is I can do all of the OG Quant with only 1-2 mistakes total. I think I'm at about 46-48 Q and maybe 49 on a great day.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: 7 Days until G-Day [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 17:29
jb32 wrote:
Yeah, I've been taking the GMAT Challenges and here are my scores for the first ten. Usually there are about 2-3 more questions I can get right and I've accepted that as the limit of my abilities.

Test Correct Total % Correct Percentile
m01 26 36 72.2% 63.0%
m02 25 36 69.4% 36.3%
m03 23 37 62.2% 44.8%
m04 25 37 67.6% 55.3%
m05 24 37 64.9% 57.9%
m06 29 36 80.6% 89.7%
m07 23 37 62.2% 38.1%
m08 18 37 48.6% 45.5%
m09 25 37 67.6% 59.3%
m10 24 37 64.9% 51.3%

I just can't seem to really make a noticeable improvement. There are always 5-6 questions I might be able to solve in 15 minutes, but probably no less than that. I'm going to keep studying the basics and hopefully I can get to 70-75% correct by the end of the weekend. The good news is I can do all of the OG Quant with only 1-2 mistakes total. I think I'm at about 46-48 Q and maybe 49 on a great day.

Looks like we are about the same when it comes to the Club Challenges. I was constantly hovering between 23-26 correct. That's awesome you've been doing so well on the OG Quant. You might consider taking one of the GMATPreps, if you haven't done so already, and analyzing the errors. The beauty about re-installing it, although you might see a few repeats, is that you will be accessing questions at the difficulty level you are most likely to see on G-Day. Analyze your errors, and re-take, which should provide questions of an even higher difficulty.
Re: 7 Days until G-Day   [#permalink] 14 May 2008, 17:29