Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 11:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

7. Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
7. Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to  [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2004, 23:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

57% (01:37) correct 43% (00:57) wrong based on 8 sessions
build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped so
smoothly and perfectly
that the air passing over
them would not become turbulent.

(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and
perfectly so
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2004, 17:34
Please explain why B is correct. Peole are not interested in knowing how many you get correct. :beat :ninja
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2004, 18:40
This post received
KUDOS
Anandnk, you are twisting my arm! :beatup

A) "shaped so smoothly..." is a dependent clause with no subject
B) correctly introduces the dependent clause with the subject "wings"
C) "smooth and perfect" are adjectives. We need adverbs "smoothly and perfectly" in order to modify verb "shaped"
D) again, the dependent clause is introduced with no subject or pronoun (ie which or that) which refers to the subject of the independent clause
E) to convey the idea of magnitude, "so" should have been placed before the adverbs which intend to modify the verb "shaped". Also, use of present perfect is unappropriate

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2004, 22:33
Paul wrote:

C) "smooth and perfect" are adjectives. We need adverbs "smoothly and perfectly" in order to modify verb "shaped"
D) again, the dependent clause is introduced with no subject or pronoun (ie which or that) which refers to the subject of the independent clause
E) to convey the idea of magnitude, "so" should have been placed before the adverbs which intend to modify the verb "shaped". Also, use of present perfect is unappropriate

Nice explanation, Paul. Anandnk is correct, at least i am at gmatclub because of, nice explanations to indeed smart questions.

Thanks to all
dharmin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2004, 04:36
I Agree with (B) as the best choice.

Any comments on second best choice
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 781

Re: SC7_set3 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2004, 05:11
batliwala wrote:
build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped so
smoothly and perfectly
that the air passing over
them would not become turbulent.

(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and
perfectly so

Dharmin,Anand

you are correct. but lets set a trend ourselves. When i was taking my GMAT, i used to attempt to explain most ,if not all, of my answers, right or wrong. let us try to promote this culture. Anand does a great job, but we want others to explain their answers too.

Here the absolute phrase starting with "shaped" needs to clearly identify what is shaped...wings are shaped OR airplanes are shaped.

Only B and E fit that criteria. It wouldnt be hard to eliminate E.

B is so much better and concise.

regards
Praet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2004, 05:27
I agree it is not hard to choose between (B) and (E), but I was looking for second best choice, and I think (A) fits the criteria very well. Because in (A) "shaped" is modifying its nearest noun "wings", which is correct isn't it.

Any comments will be of great help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2004, 13:55
Paul wrote:

)
"shaped so smoothly..." is a dependent clause with no subject? U can trace this to obvious subject wing mentioned in this sentence, can you not? Or B is correct because "shaped SMOOTHLY" is unidiomatic?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2004, 14:07
A)
Dependent clause: "shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent"

Above statement, as a stand alone phrase does not make sense because it has no subject(or rather, object). What is shaped so smoothly and perfectly...? What does "them" refer to?

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 15:56
I am not sure why the part after comma is not considered a modifier modifying wings.
Now consdiering this to be case of resumptive modifier one can chose B as a straight answer.
However, can one explain what is wrong with my previous logic? Does one need subject in the modifier?
S

Regards, S

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2005, 08:53
airplanes or wings need to be in second clause to remove ambiguity. B seems to be clearer
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2005, 14:05
Another question to add to Saurya's , Can it be treated as a modifier? Doesn't it modify wings? can somebody throw some light into this?
:-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2005, 16:19
Also can you really have something smoothly shaped? Wouldn't you have to seperate smooth and perfectly shaped for the sentence to actually make sense?...Don't know if this was asked...

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2005, 21:38
I looked into this one again and I believe the reason why A is not as good as B is simply because the relative pronoun "them" at the end of the sentence does not have any clear referrent. Does it refer to "airplanes" or "wings"? The same goes for A's participial phrase form which could refer to either one of those 2 preceding nouns.

For example, you have these 2 participial phrase structures:
eg The airplane kit model in the closet, built with such perfection that it amazed the whole family, was part of his collection.

As you can see above, there is an ambiguity as to what was built with such perfection. Is it the subject of the prepositional phrase in red or is it the "airplane kit model"? Because of this ambiguity, relative pronoun "it" also have an ambiguous referrent. If the author meant that it was the closet which was built with..., then he should repeat the word closet to clear such ambiguity. By the same token, "it" should then have a clear referrent.

eg The airplane kit model in the closet, a closet built with such perfection that it amazed the whole family, was part of his collection.

You can apply this same concept to the original question

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 17:47
Paul wrote:

I missed this post.

I have a doubt in (B) and (C). :roll:

Both (B) and (C) have "so smooth", then why it is wrong in (C) but not in (B).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2005, 17:48
I got my answer.
Such a silly question :wall .

In (B), "smooth" and "shaped" (adjectives) are modifying Noun (wings). So it is right.
In (C), "smooth" and "perfect" (adjectives) are modifying Verb (shaped) but we know that only Adverbs can modify Verb. So it is wrong.
VP
VP
Followers: 208

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: 7. Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to  [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 03:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: 7. Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2013, 03:04