Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [90]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [24]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [12]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [8]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Re: A fair die is rolled once and a fair coin is flipped once. What is the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There are 12 possibilities for outcomes:

Coin: H or T
Dice: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6

Odds of the coin landing on heads: 1/2
Odds of the dice landing on three when the coin lands on tails: 1/12

1/2+1/12 = 7/12 probability

Make sure you don't try to add 1/2 and 1/6. We've already counted the dice landing on 3 when the coin lands on heads (included in the 1/2), so we're looking for the chance of the coin landing on tails and the dice landing on 3, which is 1/12

H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6, T3 are the 7 possibilities that work
T1, T2, T4, T5, T6 are the 5 possibilities that don't work
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: A fair die is rolled once and a fair coin is flipped once. What is the [#permalink]
Kudos
tekno9000 wrote:
A fair die is rolled once and a fair coin is flipped once. What is the probaility that either the die will land on 3 or that the coin will land on heads?

Please solve and explain.

Thanks,

Tekno9000

P = 1/2 +1/6 - (1/2)*(1/6) = 7/12
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A fair die is rolled once and a fair coin is flipped once. What is the probaility that either the die will land on 3 or that the coin will land on heads?

Soln: The probability that either the die will land on 3 or coin will land heads is
= Prob(die lands 3) + Prob(coin land heads) - Prob(that both happen)
= 1/6 + 1/2 - 1/2*1/6
= 7/12
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
what about this way =

P(X or Y)= 1-P(NOT X)x P(NOTY)

1 - 5/6*1/2=7/12
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
I understand that the formula here is:
p(a or b) = p(a) + p(b) - p(a and b)
= 1/6 + 3/6 - (1/12)
= 4/6 - 1/12
= 7/12

But, I'm curious as to what's wrong with this logic:
p(die landing on 3) = 1/6
p(heads) = 1/2
Therefore p(die landing on 3 or coin landing on heads) = 1/6 + 1/2 = 2/3.
Why do I have to account for the time when both events occur, and subtract it from 2/3?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The above formula is incorrect. Let me explain and then prove it. When you add the probabilities for the dice hitting 3 (1/6) to the coin toss resulting in a heads (1/2) and then subtract the probability of BOTH a heads and a 3 (1/12), you aren't factoring that that probability was counted TWICE in your original sum. Once during your probability for 3 and once during your probability for a heads result.

Here is the proof.. there are 12 possibilities. I've put an asterisk next to the ones which satisfy the scenario (#s signify dice and t is tails, h is heads):

1t
1h*
2t
2h*
3t*
3h
4t
4h*
5t
5h*
6t
6h*

3h is obviously excluded because it includes both heads and 3. Now if you see, there are only 12 possible scenarios, and only 6 satisfy our condition (heads OR 3). Therefore, the probability is 6/12 = 1/2.

Now, I've thought of a simpler way of approaching these type of problems...
Probability that it will be a HEADS and NOT A 3...
1/2 x 5/6 = 5/12

Probability that it will be a 3 and NOT HEADS...
1/6 x 1/2 = 1/12

ADD probabilities...
1/12 + 5/12 = 6/12 = 1/2
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Germainte wrote:
The above formula is incorrect. Let me explain and then prove it. When you add the probabilities for the dice hitting 3 (1/6) to the coin toss resulting in a heads (1/2) and then subtract the probability of BOTH a heads and a 3 (1/12), you aren't factoring that that probability was counted TWICE in your original sum. Once during your probability for 3 and once during your probability for a heads result.

Here is the proof.. there are 12 possibilities. I've put an asterisk next to the ones which satisfy the scenario (#s signify dice and t is tails, h is heads):

1t
1h*
2t
2h*
3t*
3h
4t
4h*
5t
5h*
6t
6h*

3h is obviously excluded because it includes both heads and 3. Now if you see, there are only 12 possible scenarios, and only 6 satisfy our condition (heads OR 3). Therefore, the probability is 6/12 = 1/2.

Now, I've thought of a simpler way of approaching these type of problems...
Probability that it will be a HEADS and NOT A 3...
1/2 x 5/6 = 5/12

Probability that it will be a 3 and NOT HEADS...
1/6 x 1/2 = 1/12

ADD probabilities...
1/12 + 5/12 = 6/12 = 1/2

This is MGMAT question (from Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guide) and the OA is 7/12, not 1/2. I guess your reading of the question in different from that of the autors of the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Rolling a dice and throwing a coin are independent events, because they can occur at the same time, right? In the probability part of the GMAT Club mathbook it says that two events are independent if the occurence of one event does not influence the occurence of the other event. Then it says that "tossing a coin and rolling a die are independent events". So what's correct? And if they were independent, we wouldn't have to subtract the probability of both occuring at same time, would we?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BN1989 wrote:
Rolling a dice and throwing a coin are independent events, because they can occur at the same time, right? In the probability part of the GMAT Club mathbook it says that two events are independent if the occurence of one event does not influence the occurence of the other event. Then it says that "tossing a coin and rolling a die are independent events". So what's correct? And if they were independent, we wouldn't have to subtract the probability of both occuring at same time, would we?

Explained here: a-fair-die-is-rolled-once-and-a-fair-coin-is-flipped-once-57799.html#p1051919
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
BN1989 wrote:

See it this way, both the events can happen together. and that prob would be 1/2*1/6 . What you mentioned is the case when both cannot occur together . e.g. prob of winning a race for a or b = prob(a) + prob(b)

Two events, A and B, are independent if the fact that A occurs does not affect the probability of B occurring. BUT they can occur together and i.e. prob of occurrence together is prob(a)*prob(b) ( product of their individual prob)
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Thumb rule :
1. Events which can occur in one attempt subtract their double counting.
E.g : In above case dice and coin can be flipped together and we can get three possible outcomes.
1 head no 3
1 tail and 3
1 head and 3 (thus both are overlapping and its possible in one attempt)
E.g : Choose Spade or a king, overlapping is at King of spade.

2. Events which can not occur in one attempt, simply add their probabilities.
E.g : Draw at least 2 red balls in 4 draws :
case 1 : 2 red ball 2 black ball.
case 2 : 3 red ball 1 black ball.
case 4 : 4 red ball 0 black ball.
These all cases can not occur in one attempt, thus simply add their probability, no overlapping.

I tried to understand this concept in this way.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
How about this approach?

There are 3 desired scenarios:

scenario 1: Die lands on 3 AND coin DOESN'T land on tails.
scenario 2: Die DOESN'T land on 3 AND coin lands on heads.
scenario 3: Die lands on 3 AND coin lands on heads.

So I add the probability of the 3 scenarios:

(scenario 1) + (scenario 2) + (scenario 3)

(Die condition * coin condition) + (Die condition * coin condition) + (Die condition * coin condition)

(1/6 * 1/2) + (5/6 * 1/2) + (1/6 * 1/2) = 7/12

scenario 1= (1/6 * 1/2) Only 3 is the desired outcome AND only tails is the desired outcome (To meet the condition of NO heads).
scenario 2= (5/6 * 1/2) All number are desired outcomes but 3 (To meet the condition of NO 3) AND only heads is the desired outcome.
scenario 3= (1/6 * 1/2) Only 3 is the desired outcome AND only heads is the desired outcome.

At the end of the day is the same as applying the formula. But is easier for me to "prevent" the overlapping count and forget about the last step of subtracting this overlap.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos