Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: 700 (49/36) With testing center distraction. Retake? [#permalink]
Kudos
piyatiwari wrote:
I would say, retake, why not!

Also check with GMAC for free test.

Good luck.

shreerajp99 wrote:
Congrats man!I suggest u retake since u managed to get a 700 with all these distractions.
Can you please answer my below queries:
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Do u think the level of difficulty was the same as that of gmatprep exam?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

My hesitation is that on the GMATprep, my best score was 710, which roughly translates to a 720 according to the GMAT scoring tool. So I am in a situation where I was hoping for an additional 20 points - if I was scoring in the 740s, it would be much easier to justify a retake, hoping for an additional ~50 points. In addition, I'm under time pressure - I am going to submit for regular decisions at the end of the calendar year, which means 30 days spent studying are 30 days not spent putting together butt-kicking application(s).

As far as the difficulty, I was actually very nervous throughout the test because I thought the questions were very easy in comparison to the Kaplan Premier tests I took for practice - I finished the Quant with 8 minutes to spare, finished the Verbal almost 20 minutes ahead of schedule. The difficulty was slightly easier than the GMATprep, in my opinion.

Other than a single Quant question that I knew I screwed up (stupid mistake) about 15 questions in, I felt reasonably comfortable that I was not making any serious errors, and any guesses were between two choices, as I had dismissed the others by process of elimination.

I was all psyched up for some combinatorial problems, but only got one that was so easy I just drew it out on the scratch pad instead of trying to do the math and making (another) stupid mistake. All the work rate problems I encountered were DS, which made it much easier than coming up with an actual answer. Additional Quant questions that caused me some issues were exponent related - I encountered more than expected (seven if I recall correctly), and while certainly solvable, they have historically slowed me down, which is perhaps why I was in a rush.

For Quant, my suggestion is to memorize simple formulas like internal degrees in an N-sided polygon; formulas for sums of consecutive odd, even, or both, integers; the values of 10! and 15!, so you can spend lots of time struggling with the truly difficult problems instead of doing a bunch of back-of-the-envelope math.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 700 (49/36) With testing center distraction. Retake? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts