Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 (49Q, 38V)...Please help me decide, I am confused

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

700 (49Q, 38V)...Please help me decide, I am confused [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 09:32
I am wondering should i retake my GMAT? I know i can definitely score more because in my preps i had averaged 740-750 and during the test day i know i messed up because of my health. Now i am not afraid of scoring less, but what i cannot afford is time.
So i am leaving my decision on scholarship factor! How much does the GMAT score matter when it comes to schools awarding scholarships?
I am looking at an MBA from Asia (NUS, NTU, AIM, HKUST, ISB) and a few Europeans.
Can some one provide me with right pointers to this effect or may be advice me as to what i shold i do?
It would help a lot.....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: 700 (49Q, 38V)...Please help me decide, I am confused [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 11:04
zizou5 wrote:
I am wondering should i retake my GMAT? I know i can definitely score more because in my preps i had averaged 740-750 and during the test day i know i messed up because of my health. Now i am not afraid of scoring less, but what i cannot afford is time.
So i am leaving my decision on scholarship factor! How much does the GMAT score matter when it comes to schools awarding scholarships?
I am looking at an MBA from Asia (NUS, NTU, AIM, HKUST, ISB) and a few Europeans.
Can some one provide me with right pointers to this effect or may be advice me as to what i shold i do?
It would help a lot.....

dear...first of all congrats for 700...the colleges which you are targetting have avg score as 660 except ISB which is near around 720-730. Considering the score is just one of the several criteria in ur app I would say you stand a decent chance with the same score.
Giving the GMAT again is always an option but since you have mentioned that u messed up because of your health...was it a case that you were ill b4 the exam day? or fell sick on that very day....sorry to say if it was latter the same can happen again ( life can be sometimes very pricky). If your acads have ben decent and you can manage good essays then that will negate for your 700 (which you think is low :| )...rest if you want to give another try at GMAT you can always do that

Last edited by asterixmatrix on 16 Oct 2009, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700 (49Q, 38V)...Please help me decide, I am confused [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 11:24
zizou5 congrats on your 700 score! I kinda agree with asterixmatrix..

Quote:
If your acads have ben decent and you can manage good essays then that will negate for your 700 (which you think is low )...

To support this above quote of asterixmatrix heres a thread link from pagalguy forum.
http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/internati ... quant.html
Read this thread post by Columbia10admit to find out what he did with his 700 score and prepared to get inspired to make the best use of your 700

Hope this helps..
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7227 [0], given: 3616

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 700 (49Q, 38V)...Please help me decide, I am confused [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 13:27
Expert's post
Here are my thoughts on retaking - would not bother unless you get a confirmation that scholarship indeed depends on GMAT. In that case - it is absolutely worth it to spend a few months and get your tuition paid for. Worth it even to take a class or get a tutor, but do check with the school admissions if GMAT matters and if they have $$$ remaining. Many will give away most of Fin Aid in R1 and R2.

If not, the highest average GMAT score for an MBA program is 726 - (Stanford GBS), and I don't think 700 or 740 makes that much difference. (sorry you all 740 guys - you are not that cool :)

should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 700 (49Q, 38V)...Please help me decide, I am confused [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 09:12
Hey astermatrix....firstly thank you very much for your reply
asterixmatrix wrote:
was it a case that you were ill b4 the exam day? or fell sick on that very day....

No it was not exam sickness, on the contrary i was hardly anxious about the exam....

bb wrote:
Here are my thoughts on retaking - would not bother unless you get a confirmation that scholarship indeed depends on GMAT. In that case - it is absolutely worth it to spend a few months and get your tuition paid for.

Totally agree and thats exactly the answer i am seeking, how much importance does the GMAT hold in case when you want to apply for scholarship...

Thanks for showing me to the columbia10admit post, his is a unique and inspiring story..

I should have added this earlier, I am actually applying for Bschools nex year, and will be targeting Fall'2011...Now do your opinions change about a retake :? ??

Thanks to all who have replied and good luck to all who are sailing in the same boat....
Re: 700 (49Q, 38V)...Please help me decide, I am confused   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2009, 09:12