Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [71]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [17]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [4]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Re: A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
bakfed wrote:
A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously found in North America.

(A) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously
(B) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was
(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were
(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously
(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously

My Take is D as well, this is a modifier problem with a comparison problem intertwined in it. Usually, extra information clauses or phrases are spawned off with a comma. What we have here is called a Resumptive modifier. It takes a particular word from the subject of the sentence that seems to be finished and adds information to take the reader to a new area of thought/idea.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously found in North America.

(A) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously -- they is ambiguous -- fossils or Paleontologist-- comparison error.
(B) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was -- same as as A -- parallelism issue -- sentence structure ambiguity.
(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were -- comparison error -- parallelism required.
(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously -- absolute phrase modifier used -- comparison is proper.
(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously -- comparison error.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
OA is D

It is an example that tests noun+noun modifier concept. another similar examples are

1)[b]Floating in the waters of the equatorial Pacific, an array of buoys collects and transmits data on long-term
interactions between the ocean and the atmosphere, interactions that affect global climate.

2)Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly
cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile
female workers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
The original sentence has two error.
1. The pronoun 'they' is ambiguous. It seems to be pointing to paleontologists instead of fossils. They should be replaced by fossils.
2. Fossils are wrongly compared with similar dinosaur type. It should be compared with the fossils of similar dinosaur type.

A. and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously
-- Error 1 and error 2
B. and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was
-- Error 1; ambiguous antecedent for pronoun they.
C. and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were
--Error 2 and also were should be singular, since any is singular
D. fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously
-- Correct.
E. fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously
-- Error 2

Originally posted by animesh_an on 09 Apr 2015, 12:35.
Last edited by animesh_an on 09 Apr 2015, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Send PM
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:

A. and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously

B. and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was

C. and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were

D. fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously

E. fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously

A. and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously -- ambiguous use of pronoun they

B. and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was -- ambiguous use of pronoun they

C. and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were -- comparing fossils with dinosaurs

D. fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously -- correct

E. fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously -- comparing fossils with dinosaurs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q750 V600
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Kudos
bakfed wrote:

(A) and that they were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously
(B) and they are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type that previously was
(C) and the fossils are at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur types that previously were
(D) fossils that are at least 25 million years older than those of any similar dinosaur type previously
(E) fossils at least 25 million years older than similar dinosaur types previously

Two things are being tested here. 1) Pronoun error 2) Comparisons

'they' can refer to both paleontologists and fossils
Eliminate A and B

Comparison
X than Y, where X and Y need to be compared at the same level. Dinosaurs were not found previously in North America (Their fossils were. Eliminate C and E - Improper Comparison)

D Correct
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
bakfed wrote:

Main focus of the sentence is fossils of dinosaurs not the dinosaurs themselves. This should help us in POE:

....dinosaurs...older than....any dinosaur type.....- wrong comparison.

dinosaur type that previously was found - wrong meaning

utah has yielded fossils....and fossils are ... - wrong meaning. we just dont need 'and' here.

now read the sentence like this: utah has yielded fossils of...dinosaurs..., fossils that are.......older than those of..similar dinosaur type...previously found. Correct comparison of fossils.

fossils ..older than ..dinosaurs - wrong comparison.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
prakashgmat2016 wrote:
Hi sayan

I have a question doubt in the below question. Could you please help me clarifying it.

I read on blogs in GMAT Club and Manhattan Prep that they in option A can refer to FOSSILS or DINOSAURS. Hence THEY is ambiguous.
But, in my understanding THEY can absolutely refer to Dinosaurs without any ambiguity. I am replacing DINOSAURS with THEY and writing the below sentence.

A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and that DINOSAURS were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously found in North America.

Now DINOSAURS are being compared to DINOSAURS. So it is a logical comparison and make sense completely.

Can you please tell me if there is anything wrong in my understanding. If yes, where i am going wrong?
Also, please tell what is wrong with A according to you.

Regards,
Prakash

As you have mentioned that replacing "they" with "dinosaurs" is possible in option A, it is also possible to replace "they" with "fossils" (it does not matter that in the latter case the sentence would be grammatically wrong because of parallelism error.) It is even possible to replace "they" with "Paleontologists" (though in this case the meaning conveyed would be very different from what the author intended to). Thus "they" is definitely ambiguous since it can refer to 3 different antecedents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
prakashgmat2016 wrote:
Hi sayan

I have a question doubt in the below question. Could you please help me clarifying it.

I read on blogs in GMAT Club and Manhattan Prep that they in option A can refer to FOSSILS or DINOSAURS. Hence THEY is ambiguous.
But, in my understanding THEY can absolutely refer to Dinosaurs without any ambiguity. I am replacing DINOSAURS with THEY and writing the below sentence.

A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils of some of the biggest armored dinosaurs ever found, and that DINOSAURS were at least 25 million years older than any similar dinosaur type previously found in North America.

Now DINOSAURS are being compared to DINOSAURS. So it is a logical comparison and make sense completely.

Can you please tell me if there is anything wrong in my understanding. If yes, where i am going wrong?

Regards,
Prakash

As you have mentioned that replacing "they" with "dinosaurs" is possible in option A, it is also possible to replace "they" with "fossils" (it does not matter that in the latter case the sentence would be grammatically wrong because of parallelism error.) It is even possible to replace "they" with "Paleontologists" (though in this case the meaning conveyed would be very different from what the author intended to). Thus "they" is definitely ambiguous since it can refer to 3 different antecedents.

thanks Sayan :-)
But it leaves me even with more doubts. I have read in Manhattan SC book Pronoun Chapter that If there is more than one eligible antecedent of a pronoun but just one of them makes sense with the pronoun then it would be considered correct.

Concept book excerpt read as "If the intended antecedent of a single pronoun is clear (e.g., by virtue of parallelism and meaning), and
if there is no other reasonable antecedent, then don’t worry if there is an unreasonable antecedent somewhere
else in the sentence."

Here dinosaurs makes sense so even if there are more eligible antecedent such as "fossils" and "Paleontologists", dinosaurs should still make sense. Am i correct
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prakashgmat2016 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
prakashgmat2016 wrote:
Hi sayan

Regards,
Prakash

thanks Sayan :-)
But it leaves me even with more doubts. I have read in Manhattan SC book Pronoun Chapter that If there is more than one eligible antecedent of a pronoun but just one of them makes sense with the pronoun then it would be considered correct.

Concept book excerpt read as "If the intended antecedent of a single pronoun is clear (e.g., by virtue of parallelism and meaning), and
if there is no other reasonable antecedent, then don’t worry if there is an unreasonable antecedent somewhere
else in the sentence."

Here dinosaurs makes sense so even if there are more eligible antecedent such as "fossils" and "Paleontologists", dinosaurs should still make sense. Am i correct

The problem with "they" is that all the 3 eligible antecedents make sense, i.e. there are 3 reasonable antecedents (not just one).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
comma + and is used to join independent. Here that is not the case

comma + and is used to join independent. Here that is not the case

fossils are compared to dinosaur type ? Wrong comparison

No error

fossils are compared to dinosaur type ? Wrong comparison
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has [#permalink]
Kudos

Quote:

Here we have a proper construction with two "that", each of which states two facts announced by a group of paleontologists:
A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site ... and than they ...

What's wrong in A is the comparison: "they" clearly refer to "fossils" and then, "fossils" compared to "any similar dinosaur type" - this fact makes A clearly wrong: such comparison is non-sensical.

Quote:

Option B misses the second "that", which works well in A: we need two "that" to maintain //-ism and express grammatically correct what are two facts presented by a group of paleontologists.

Another issue with option B is "was" at the end, whose pair is "those" (="fossils"), a plural noun.

Quote:

Same issue with //-ism as in B; same issue with comparison (fossils vs dinosaur types) as in A.

Quote:

Correct choice. There are no longer two facts announced by a group of paleontologists. Instead, an absolute phrase is used (the phrase that is often used in correct answer choices). Also, there is no "they" anymore, which is also a good sign that the option might appear correct one.

Quote:

Same comparison issue as in A and C: fossils vs dinosaur types
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
Can anybody explain how Option D is not run on sentence, two independent clause connected by comma?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
junii wrote:
Can anybody explain how Option D is not run on sentence, two independent clause connected by comma?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ninja-s ... l#p2744787
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
junii wrote:

Even you can reject A, B , C and E to reach to the correct answer.

Quote:

A,E and C rejected due to wrong comparison figure
B is rejected because fossils were found not dinosaur WAS found

After I arrived at D. I could figure out its absolute modifier.
hence D correct
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This popped up on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread, and I'm reposting it here, just in case it helps somebody:
junii wrote:
Quote:

GMATNinja can you please explain option D, i eliminated this because i thought two independent clauses are joined with comma

The phrase "fossils that are at least 25 million years older..." is just a modifier (an appositive, if you like the jargon) -- basically, an adjective that modifies the aforementioned fossils:

"A group of paleontologists recently announced that a site in Utah has yielded fossils, fossils that are at least 25 million years older..." There is no need to use a conjunction with such comma-separated modifying info.

We get this question all the time. :) For a couple other examples, check out the following posts:

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Great question

-comparison between fossils. and dinosaur type is wrong

-'previously was' is redundant

-same issue as A)
-'previously were' is redundant

CORRECT
-this is an example of a resumptive modifier
-'those of' correctly stands in for fossils

-same comparison issue as A) and C)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts