Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700. Boom.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: In: Emory, USC, Georgetown Out: Harvard, Wharton, Yale, UCLA WL: Kellogg
WE 1: Manager @ Fortune 100
WE 2: Manager @ World Famous Hotel
WE 3: Division Leader @ Real Estate Firm
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

700. Boom. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 19:41
Intro

GMAT: 700 (42Q,42V)
Person: Caucasian Male
College: 3.27 GPA from Top 50 Private University
WE: 2 years hospitality management, 2 years asset management

Now, prior to reading my debrief below, please make sure to make note of the following two very important details:

1) I am well aware that, for a large number of posters, a 700 score isn't redeemable for a "Boom" in their subject line. That being said, it ties the second highest practice CAT score I've gotten and, more importantly, means I've successfully achieved my goal. So...BOOM.

2) I am at least 1 beer in...probably more. :wink:

And so, now that you've been kind enough to read the disclaimer, onto the debrief!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books Used
1. Kaplan Math Foundations, Review: Excellent for somebody like me, who has neither seen high school math since...high school, nor uses analytical skills beyond deciding how much cab fare I need to expense (operations management...operations=always moving)

2. Manhattan GMAT Foundations of GMAT Math Review: GREAT GREAT GREAT book! While Kaplan Math Foundations gave me a quick intro into the various topics covered on GMAT, Manhattan delved so much deeper in! Only 1 question...trig? Why? Really?

3. Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction, Review: Unless you have the sufficient attention span required to read sentence after sentence....after sentence... :shock: Well, your eyes will feel like that Smile's eyes look like they would feel.... Seriously though, my verbal has always been my strong point, so I didn't give this book the attention it deserves. From all accounts, and briefing through the pages right now, it focuses on some valuable points, and should give the reader a nice overview on the rules.

4. OG, Review: I used this exclusively from Day 1 through Day Now. If you don't know a particular subject on the GMAT, get this book and do questions on that subject. And do them again. Do them until you have paper cuts from the countless times you've turned each page.

And that's it. Those are all the books I read.

Alternative Study Methods

After scoring a 620 on the free CAT test offered and completing 1 complete (1.5 hours verbal, 1.5 hours quant) lesson, I signed up for the Knewton study course. I felt paying approximately $600.00 for a guaranteed 670 or my money back was well worth it. Of course, I cannot get my money back...but definitely not complaining!

Review - Pros

- Impressive group of professors. I'll stop short of suggesting any particular one, as I've noticed that several of the professors others have touted, I simply didn't get much from. I think it comes down to different styles for different folks.

- Flexible Flexible Flex.i.ble. Really. I have a crazy work schedule (like so many of you, I'm sure), so simply could not attend classes at their regularly scheduled intervals. Didn't matter one bit! At any given time, I had 3 different choices of verbal and math in each of the 12 lessons! Although I didn't attend the office hours offered, I understand the professors are very good at offering additional help outside of the "classroom."

- Targeted. While not a perfect system, the course honed in on what I knew and didn't know, keeping track of the huge myriad of GMAT sub-topics in the question queue.

- Customer Service- truly remarkable. I submitted 3 questions regarding the CAT tests, and each was answered within 24 hours. Not only that, but I received updates along the way: 1."We have received your question..blah, typical blah." 2. "A psychometrician is reviewing your question." A WHAT?! Knewton makes jobs! 3. "...."question answered! Easy, reliable, great!

Review - Cons

- As has been discussed ad nauseum, the CAT scores are a tad...er...bizarre. A sampling in regards to my verbal scores:
10 wrong, 42V
6 wrong, 48V
5 wrong, 45V
9 wrong, 48V
5 wrong, 42V

- More reliant on self-study than other courses. There were several nights I had to literally force myself, after 10 hours of work, to sit at my desk, do 40~ assessment questions, watch 3 hours of lessons, and do another 40~ homework questions. Now, I'm the odd case in that I dedicated myself to completing the entire course in a month but...wow! However, I learned a thing or two about self control (mmm...sleeeeeep, Monday Night Football, beer...all sound a tad better), and in the end, feel like I did it!

The Journey

The GMAT has been my on-and-off again girlfriend for 2 years. Don't bother telling my wife. She already knows.

In 2008 I decided I would take the GMAT, apply to business school, and get my MBA. Yay! Better job, better career, more money. All good stuff, right?

Wellllll...yea. Changed jobs, liked new job, lived in Gotham. Things get in the way.

But this is where my backwards peering revelation happens. I simply wasn't ready. I had just began to feel comfortable in the first level of my career. I had done well for my age (managed 20+ individuals at 23 years old), but didn't really know WHY I wanted an MBA or WHAT I would do with it. It took my current job and just maturing to get there.

So, armed with a concrete reason (see: ), I embarked once again on the MBA trek in early 2010. And once again, life got in the way. Got married. Honeymooned. Loved life.

But, this was the and improved me! I knew what I wanted and where I wanted to be!

Psh. Not gonna let life get in the way of living!

So, with my wife's help, I dedicated the past 4 months to a HARDCORE study routine. With my job, this hasn't been easy. On call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, my free time is basically nil. So to to get down and dirty with GMAT prep required some major concentration and planning ahead....

Tired from GMAT...good night all! WILL CONTINUE SOON! T
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 409 [0], given: 36

Re: 700. Boom. [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 21:17
I love this ! Congratulations on the terrific score.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

Re: 700. Boom. [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 04:36
Thank you so much for posting this! A 700 with a 42/42 split gives me a lot of hope that I will reach my goal of around a 700/710!

Great job, and best of luck on your apps!

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: 700. Boom. [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 06:16
Great! Congratulations!
What schools are you applying?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 19

Re: 700. Boom. [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 08:18
Congrats on the score. A very balanced score. Awaiting for the complete post.

Reading these debrief's on this site is so very infectious. Makes you feel all of a sudden that everything is gettable. :)

Regards,
Praveen
Manager
Manager
Schools: In: Emory, USC, Georgetown Out: Harvard, Wharton, Yale, UCLA WL: Kellogg
WE 1: Manager @ Fortune 100
WE 2: Manager @ World Famous Hotel
WE 3: Division Leader @ Real Estate Firm
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: 700. Boom. [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 08:44
Fijisurf: Now that I have my actual score, I am fine-tuning my selection. Definitely applying to Yale, Emory, and Georgetown. Considering Harvard, Wharton, UT-Austin, UCLA, USC, Northwestern and Duke.

Props on the usernmae, btw. Do you scuba?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: 700. Boom. [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 11:15
briangtsmith wrote:
Fijisurf: Now that I have my actual score, I am fine-tuning my selection. Definitely applying to Yale, Emory, and Georgetown. Considering Harvard, Wharton, UT-Austin, UCLA, USC, Northwestern and Duke.

Props on the usernmae, btw. Do you scuba?

Great school selection. Good luck!
I scuba occasionally when travel to warm seas. The water is a little cold for me here in South California. I surf daily, though, because sun helps to stay warm :)
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: 700. Boom. [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 16:30
Expert's post
Excellent news, briangtsmith! I remember your previous post in which you expressed some doubts and perhaps a bit of panic. However, you were able to overcome those obstacles and stay in control. That, I think, was a major reason for your success.

At any rate, congratulations and thank you for the debrief!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 700. Boom.   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2010, 16:30