Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: 700 GMAT but low GPA.... retake? [#permalink]
RLM wrote:
Hey guys this is another one of those retake questions :?

Actually I'm quite satisfied with my GMAT score. Very happy that I got a 700. However, I do have a low GPA score to make up for.... got a 2.74 because never in my mind would I have thought of returning to school :?

What does everyone think? What are some ways of making up for a low GPA..... retake? Somehow explain for the score in my essays?

What is your Q/V split?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
anonymousegmat wrote:
riverripper wrote:
I think you would be better served by taking some classes at a good school near where you live and getting A's. You have a 700 which is a good score and unless you could jump it to the high 700s its not going to do that much for you.

Its worth a shot doing the strongest application you can and taking some classes. If you get waitlisted you submit your classes you took and the grades you got as what you have been doing to improve you applicatoin. If you get dinged then next year you can reapply and write your reapplicatoin essay on addressing your weakness as an undergrad by taking classes. That would show that you are dedicated to obtaining an MBA more than taking a prep class and getting a 730 would. You might even be able to get your employer to pay for classes.

I agree with him at 100%

I think the difference between 700 and say a 730 isn't that huge. The standard error on the test is like 30 points... so you could be at the 'high end' of your true range. If you are happy with your score, take it and RUN WITH IT... RUN RUN AWAY and don't look back at the GMAT. don't chance it going down!

Also, you have shown through your 700 that you can handle yourself, and unless your GPA is <2.0 I think you have made up for it a bit. Taking a a few classes at a community college and ACEING them will really show you are dedicated to making up for slacking off as an undergrad.

Don't take soft courses though... take Calculus and Statistics or something. Go as math heavy as you can!

Thanks for the advice guys - although I'm not sure taking extra courses in college is doable? Since I'm trying to apply to schools as early possible, with deadlines coming up in a short few months :cry: But I think you guys have convinced me to not retake the GMAT. During prep my highest score was 730, so if I were to try to jump into the high 700's it'd take still quite a bit of effort, and probably not worth it...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bherronp wrote:
RLM wrote:

Actually I'm quite satisfied with my GMAT score. Very happy that I got a 700. However, I do have a low GPA score to make up for.... got a 2.74 because never in my mind would I have thought of returning to school :?

What does everyone think? What are some ways of making up for a low GPA..... retake? Somehow explain for the score in my essays?

What is your Q/V split?

Q47/V38. Does this breakdown make a difference in how i'm academically perceived?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the split matters because a lot of schools want to see a "balanced" score which is normally an 80/80 split. As long as you are above 80th percentile in both quant and verbal, you should be fine :)
I concur with the advice of GMAT members to take "hard" classes like stats or calculus in your local college and get A's in your classes to show admission people that your low GPA was due to your immaturity while in college as opposed to your inability to study. While it might not help you in early decision time, it might help you if you are wait-listed or decide to apply to other schools in 2nd round.

Good luck with your applications!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's pretty close to an even split, from a percentile standpoint. That's better than a score heavily skewed in either direction.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ive noticed this a lot on the forums ... the suggestion to take classes.

Im wondering what type of classes would help, in both advancing skill set and showing to the adcoms that you are serious about b-school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
anonymousegmat wrote:
riverripper wrote:
I think you would be better served by taking some classes at a good school near where you live and getting A's. You have a 700 which is a good score and unless you could jump it to the high 700s its not going to do that much for you.

Its worth a shot doing the strongest application you can and taking some classes. If you get waitlisted you submit your classes you took and the grades you got as what you have been doing to improve you applicatoin. If you get dinged then next year you can reapply and write your reapplicatoin essay on addressing your weakness as an undergrad by taking classes. That would show that you are dedicated to obtaining an MBA more than taking a prep class and getting a 730 would. You might even be able to get your employer to pay for classes.

I agree with him at 100%

I think the difference between 700 and say a 730 isn't that huge. The standard error on the test is like 30 points... so you could be at the 'high end' of your true range. If you are happy with your score, take it and RUN WITH IT... RUN RUN AWAY and don't look back at the GMAT. don't chance it going down!

Also, you have shown through your 700 that you can handle yourself, and unless your GPA is <2.0 I think you have made up for it a bit. Taking a a few classes at a community college and ACEING them will really show you are dedicated to making up for slacking off as an undergrad.

Don't take soft courses though... take Calculus and Statistics or something. Go as math heavy as you can!

I think 700 is a good score. But if you can achieve 740-750, then why not.
anonymouse mentioned that if you achieved 730 then maybe you are performing at the high end of the true range and thus there's not much difference between 700 and 730. I have read this advice many times.
BUT are we not ASSUMING here that person who scored 700 did not actually perform at the top range of his/her ability.
What if colleges look at your score of 700 and say that this guy's actual score is like 670-680 as he may havve performed on his high range to score 700. :shock:
So if you can go for 720-730+, go for it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
RLM wrote:
bherronp wrote:
RLM wrote:

What is your Q/V split?

Q47/V38. Does this breakdown make a difference in how i'm academically perceived?

Yes, from what I have read. I wouldn't retake it, your score is well balanced. I asked because I got a 710 on my first attempt, but a 40Q (62nd percentile). I decided to retake it because of that, and I think it is advantageous to retake the test if one does very poorly on one section or another. In your case, your score is pretty balanced, so I would move on to essays.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts