Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 GMAT | College selection-advice needed....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

700 GMAT | College selection-advice needed.... [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2005, 05:42
Hi Linda and others,

I plan to pursue an MBA starting Sep 2006.Mentioned below is a short profile of mine.Please evaluate my chances at the selected list of colleges/suggest some other alternatives.

Profile:
Male , Indian, 24 years of age.(International student)

Tests scores:
-GMAT score of 700(51(99%ile) Quantitative and 31(62%ile) Verbal;essay score awaited)(Total score-93%ile)
-TOEFL 273(Essay 5.5)

Work experience:
-More than 3 years of work experience in IT consulting and development by Sep 2006.Currently working with a leading consultancy firm based out of the US from its India office.
-International experience - NIL

Academics/Extra Curricular:
-Bachelors in Electronics Engineering(4 year course) from one of the premier Indian engineering colleges(NITs);secured rank 5 out of 40 in with an equivalent CGPA of 3.45.
-Consistently excellent academics and active participation in extra-curricular activities.Merit certificate holder in pre-university physics exam for securing 99.99 %ile at the state level.
-Trained in instrumental music(know to play a Synthesizer);interests - Reading,Painting,Playing Squash.

Entrepreneural skills/Community service:
-Developed a business proposal to set up a web portal to generate funds for the NGOs in India and submitted the plan at the 'Schwab's social entrepreneurship contest-2005'.It could not be pursued further due to lack of funds and support.
-Actively involved in community service with few NGOs in India through corporate service activities.

Others:
(Can these be factors to show my diversity?)
-Languages known: 4
-Woked on diverse domains ranging from Finance,Telecom to Hospitality
-Lived across 4 diferent states

Why MBA?
-To make a shift from IT consulting to Brand strategy and management.

Post MBA plans:
-Immediate: Join a brand consultancy like Lippincott Mercer/Interbrand or a reputed company in a marketing management role.
-Long term:To start a e-Marketing and brand consulting firm.

Criteria for college/program selection:
-Good placements
-Focus on marketing and entrepreneurship
-Good chances of some loans/scholarships/GAs/RAs to fund my MBA education.

Based on my research and scores I have tentatively decided to apply at:
-ISB,Hyderabad
-Duke,Fuqua
-NWU,Kellogg
-Oxford,Said
-Cambridge,Judge
-Texas A & M, Mays
-Babson college,Olin

Queries:
1)Please rate my chances at the above listed colleges and also suggest if I need to edit this list.

2)Since I have taken my GMAT more than once, will it affect my chances of admission-All these colleges consider the highest of scores.

3)How will my low verbal score affect my chances of admission?

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes