Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

690 GMAT Mexican American Educator applicant Please help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

690 GMAT Mexican American Educator applicant Please help! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 16:46
GPA: 3.61
GMAT: 690

Work experience: educator for past 6 years at Title I school
excellent LORs where I'm credited with transforming a school under state supervision into one of the top schools in large school district (close to 100 campuses)
earned numerous employment awards and recognitions (campus and district)
several leadership roles, including mentoring and evaluating peers

My concern is that my work experience as an educator could hurt me given that many applicants to business schools have WE in finance, etc. I'm interested in education consulting and administration and an MBA would help me reach my goals.

Other facts
Mexican American, moved to US at age 10
first in family to graduate from high school, college
graduated in 2 1/2 years from a top public university while working full time

What schools should I apply to?

Thanks!

Last edited by josemnz83 on 30 Oct 2013, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: 700 GMAT Mexican American Educator applicant Please help! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 01:44
You have an average GMAT score. Your GPA is good. These would certainly help you in getting to one of top business schools.
As far as your work experience is concerned, you need not worry. Business schools are not only looking for people who have worked in Finance and consulting firms. They look at your application as a whole. They want diversity in the incoming batch, and you come from a niche sector; they would welcome you for this. Also, you have been a star performer at your workplace. You need to highlight your leadership skills, and achievements in your application essays.
Also, as you want to work in education consulting, your experience syncs in place with this goal.
You have a strong background. Being the first in the family to graduate from high school, and graduating early from university puts you in a good spot.
You have not written anything about your extracurricular activities. They are very important for candidature at top business schools.
You could apply to some of the top-10 US business schools. If you spend quite some time on your application essays then you may reach to the interview stage. Focus all your energies on application essays. Talk to the alumni of your target schools, and get your application reviewed and re-reviewed.

Good luck!
www.InterviewBay.com
Re: 700 GMAT Mexican American Educator applicant Please help!   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 01:44