Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 GMAT- Will the score split hurt me?!?!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.02
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

700 GMAT- Will the score split hurt me?!?! [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 02:24
First off, thanks so much for any feedback!

Would you mind discussing my chance for a top 10 program? As well as what I need to work/focus on? I'm terrified of only a 700 on GMAT(took it twice, 670 first time) and my low GPA.

Stats:

27 yr old, white, American male

Education:

Penn State University - Main Campus
3.00 Cumulative GPA, 3.5 Major GPA
Civil Engineering - 3.8 GPA avg 3rd and 4th year (all major-intensive courses), 2nd year had some family issues, 1st year immature (fraternity)
GMAT: 700 (44Q/41V)

Work Experience:

- 3 years in major construction project management. Was actually laid off twice in 1.5 years due to both companies suffering major, company-wide workforce reductions. Regardless, only unemployed for a total of three months in which I was proactive in job searching. Was still able to secure a great job and receive a promotion to Project manager after only 3 months. Managed two projects simultaneously worth a total of $25M from start to finish. Was overseeing all aspects of job operations which included a workforce of 40+ workers at times.

- Current (approaching 2 years): small, niche consulting division in Big Four firm. Global group with only 30+ members. Focused on major real estate and construction projects ($100M+). Provide both qualitative management consulting and quantitative analytic services. Promotion after one year.

Total 5 years.

MBA Goal:
I transitioned to a consulting role because my passion is actually in the "business" side of real estate and construction, as opposed to the heavy "engineering" side. Therefore, I thought consulting would be a good segue.

The reason for wanting a top-MBA is so that I can further learn and develop my business knowledge in finance and management in hopes of one day being a c-level member of a major real estate or construction firm

Extracurricular:

- co-leader of a yearly, global real estate and construction market survey. We contact over 130+ major companies in the RE&C industry around the world, and leverage our firm's partners across the world to meet with c-level executives of these companies and discuss future market predictions. We then take this data and form it into a formal document for presentation.
- assistant coach/volunteer for a golf organization that brings the game of golf to inner city children as well as teaching them life skills.
- lead organizer for Junior Achievement program within company. In charge of 30+ volunteers that go to inner city schools and help teach business/commerce to young children

Recommendations:

- expecting great recommendations from current supervisor as well as my previous supervisor
- also have multiple family friends who are alum and still involved with the following: Booth, Tuck, Fuqua, Wharton

Thanks so much for your help. Looking forward to your feedback!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 6

Re: 700 GMAT- Will the score split hurt me?!?! [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 07:17
Hi,

You have decent GMAT and diverse work experience. You can compensate your low GPA by working hard on application essays & recommendations, you have good amount of experiences both at workplace and overall profile looks impressive. So don't worry much about low GPA, start working on your application and do some research on the b-schools where you are targeting and get started. You can check your chances for top b-schools here http://goo.gl/djcJ8

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to assist!!

Regards,
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

Re: 700 GMAT- Will the score split hurt me?!?! [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 11:04
Expert's post
Hey there,

TL;DR: No, your split won't hurt you. You're fine.

The longer version: you really don't have much to be worried about.

Let's discuss your stats first. Firstly, your GPA is definitely on the lower side. There's no getting around that. It's in the bottom 10th percentile for almost all the programs but, while it's a red flag, it isn't enough to knock you out of the running. However, your GMAT score is definitely a plus with a number that starts with a "7". Your GMAT isn't split that oddly actually. Yes, your verbal carried you a bit but nothing too drastic. Essentially, schools look to your GPA, GMAT, and, if necessary, your work experience to determine your academic and quantitative capabilities. Given your major GPA (which is very impressive by the way!) and your GMAT, I don't think there would be much difficulty in making sure we hit upon the key themes.

As for your chances at a top 10 program, I think there are definitely some programs that could serve as both stretch and aligned programs. Which programs specifically would be more useful after a discussion around what exactly you're looking to get out of your MBA. Not just career progression, but academics, culture, etc. Your key differentiator will be your background. There aren't that many Civil Engineers applying to B schools and your career path and job responsibilities will be what you use to set yourself apart and come up with compelling examples.

From a professional and extracurricular perspective, you're fine and I have no qualms that you'll have glaring holes so I'm not going to spend a lot of time discussing the obvious. Your profile excluding the stats is great.

So essentially you don't need to worry about your GMAT. You've got a score many people would be envious to have. If you have the opportunity and you'd like to retest - feel free! An improved score really would seal the deal but we're coming up on deadlines so your best focus is on the applications themselves.

I hope this helps - if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: 700 GMAT- Will the score split hurt me?!?! [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 07:33
Hi,

Your profile seems to be fine. With 5+ yrs. Of work experience, you are in ideal phase of your career which most of the b-school(s) look for. You would stand a chance in b-school(s), if you can skillfully frame application essays and work hard on interviews. You may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/b-school-selector.php

To get some more clarity on b-school application process and inputs from top b-school grads, kindly attend the webinar conducted by b-school alumnus. For more information and to register your name, click http://www.apphelp.co.in/apphelp-alumni-sessions.php

Let me know in case of further queries.

Regards
Erina

smp5000 wrote:

Would you mind discussing my chance for a top 10 program? As well as what I need to work/focus on? I'm terrified of only a 700 on GMAT(took it twice, 670 first time) and my low GPA.

Stats:

Education:

Civil Engineering - 3.8 GPA avg 3rd and 4th year (all major-intensive courses), 2nd year had some family issues, 1st year immature (fraternity)

Work Experience:

- 3 years in major construction project management. Was actually laid off twice in 1.5 years due to both companies suffering major, company-wide workforce reductions. Regardless, only unemployed for a total of three months in which I was proactive in job searching. Was still able to secure a great job and receive a promotion to Project manager after only 3 months. Managed two projects simultaneously worth a total of $25M from start to finish. Was overseeing all aspects of job operations which included a workforce of 40+ workers at times.

- Current (approaching 2 years): small, niche consulting division in Big Four firm. Global group with only 30+ members. Focused on major real estate and construction projects ($100M+). Provide both qualitative management consulting and quantitative analytic services. Promotion after one year.

Total 5 years.

MBA Goal:
I transitioned to a consulting role because my passion is actually in the "business" side of real estate and construction, as opposed to the heavy "engineering" side. Therefore, I thought consulting would be a good segue.

The reason for wanting a top-MBA is so that I can further learn and develop my business knowledge in finance and management in hopes of one day being a c-level member of a major real estate or construction firm

Extracurricular:

- co-leader of a yearly, global real estate and construction market survey. We contact over 130+ major companies in the RE&C industry around the world, and leverage our firm's partners across the world to meet with c-level executives of these companies and discuss future market predictions. We then take this data and form it into a formal document for presentation.
- assistant coach/volunteer for a golf organization that brings the game of golf to inner city children as well as teaching them life skills.
- lead organizer for Junior Achievement program within company. In charge of 30+ volunteers that go to inner city schools and help teach business/commerce to young children

Recommendations:

- expecting great recommendations from current supervisor as well as my previous supervisor
- also have multiple family friends who are alum and still involved with the following: Booth, Tuck, Fuqua, Wharton

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: 700 GMAT- Will the score split hurt me?!?! [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 16:02
Expert's post

smp5000 wrote:

Stats:

Education:

Work Experience:

Total 5 years.

MBA Goal:

Extracurricular:

Recommendations:

Rather than just repeat what others have said, let me weigh in with some specifics around schools since you are wondering about the top 10. I feel that you are more likely a candidate for some top 10-15 schools in terms of sweet spot. I like your consistent focus on real estate/construction and that can be an attractive application segment for B schools. With your 3.0 from Penn State, the job layoffs and your below average GMAT score for the top schools, I think you should focus on schools like Ross, Cornell, Darden, NYU...vs H/S/W/K... That isn't to say you should not take a shot at one or two reach schools with some real estate specialty (like Columbia), but make sure you balance your work to some of the types of schools I have offered.

Good Luck!

Alex Leventhal HBS '98
Founder, Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.prepmba.com/

office:323.424.3178 | mobile:917.514.1023
alex@prepmba.com

Prep MBA is a boutique admissions consultancy started in 2005. Work one on one with a Harvard MBA.
No junior consultants or referrals to a consultant to be named later. Put a Harvard MBA on your case.
Testimonials: http://prepmba.com/testimonials

Re: 700 GMAT- Will the score split hurt me?!?!   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 16:02