Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
GPA: 3.77
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello all,

I am down in the dumps right now. :(

I took the GMAT today and scored a 640 (Q44, V34). I am more upset because I got a 710+ score in all the practice tests I took over the past few weeks, including a 780 on the 2nd GMATprep test. My verbal score since the first test I took before I started preparing for the GMAT has never been less than 38 and in the first ever practice test that I took back in June when I started preparing, I scored 630 (GMATprep).

During the exam, I wasn't stressed out. In the quant section, I did feel like I was lagging behind on time around questions 25-26 but caught up in the next couple of questions and then maintained pace till the end of the section.

I have now registered to retake the test on Nov. 5 and will be applying to most schools in R2.

I am wondering what my strategy should be now. I have gone through the Manhattan quant study guides and the six practice tests. I will re-do the Manhattan verbal study guides. I am considering buying the GMATprep question pack1. Are there any other resources that I can use for building a stronger foundation in Math principles, than what is offered in the Manhattan guides?

I'd really appreciate any advice that you guys may have.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 2241 [0], given: 690

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 16:33
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 05:40
carcass wrote:
:( :(

I 'm dazed and confused, really

I am, too. :cry: Any advice?
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 06:03
Hi

First thing: People do screw up in the first GMAT exam so don't panic... take it as a learning and prepare harder for the next exam!
I got a 570 in my first gmat when i scoring 720+ in my mock tests! Check out my Debrief:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/570-to-700-my-gmat-journey-133461.html

I have written a post on how to gmat preparations (this is how i did for both the times i wrote the actual exam)
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

For Quant i have written a post on how to improve quant score
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-quant-score-137975.html

How about making a progress chart or error log? I talk about that in how to gmat preparations link shared above.

For practice try grockit.com (its questions are timed... just give it a try and you will know how good it is!)
Also, try gmatclub questions.. gmatclub tag link is
http://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php

For Verbal.. can you be more specific where you screwed up? I screwed up in SC and RC i guess and i tried Thursdays with Ron and it helped me a lot!
http://vimeo.com/user3635135/videos

Last but not the least: have a little faith and believe in urself and the target was NEVER far anyways!

Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Intern
Intern

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 13:50
nktdotgupta wrote:
Hi

First thing: People do screw up in the first GMAT exam so don't panic... take it as a learning and prepare harder for the next exam!
I got a 570 in my first gmat when i scoring 720+ in my mock tests! Check out my Debrief:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/570-to-700-my-gmat-journey-133461.html

I have written a post on how to gmat preparations (this is how i did for both the times i wrote the actual exam)
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

For Quant i have written a post on how to improve quant score
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-quant-score-137975.html

How about making a progress chart or error log? I talk about that in how to gmat preparations link shared above.

For practice try grockit.com (its questions are timed... just give it a try and you will know how good it is!)
Also, try gmatclub questions.. gmatclub tag link is
http://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php

For Verbal.. can you be more specific where you screwed up? I screwed up in SC and RC i guess and i tried Thursdays with Ron and it helped me a lot!
http://vimeo.com/user3635135/videos

Last but not the least: have a little faith and believe in urself and the target was NEVER far anyways!

Good Luck!

Thanks so much, nktdotgupta. That definitely helps.

I don't really know where I screwed up in Verbal. I think RC might have been it, but like you said in your post, in some of the practice tests, I got confused between two choices and ended up choosing the wrong one. I will re-do MGMAT CR and try Thursdays with Ron, as well.

What do you think about the GMATPrep Question Bank1? I am considering buying it to practice more questions closest to ones on the actual test.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2241 [1] , given: 690

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 15:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
BSchool Thread Master

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 23:20
I have not used it but heard a lot of good reviews about them. If money is not a constraint for you then you can definitely give it a shot as doing more of official questions will always boost your confidence!
For CR i will suggest you to go through powerscore CR bible and nothing else (i think its the best in the business!)

If you need more practice questions then try gmatclub questions.. link to which is already shared with you above.
Also, try grockit.com and this time try to put more emphasis on RC and they have the MOST weight-age in the whole GMAT exam!

Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

gmatclub topic tags
Thursdays with Ron link

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :

Intern
Intern

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 10:47
Thanks, nkdotgupta and carcass. GMATprep Question bank and Powerprep it is, then. Will also try Grockit. Thanks again.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8186 [1] , given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
What are your raw scores in practice CAT's?

Did you have any repeat questions in the GMAT Prep? I can't quite figure out how you would have such a difference in scores... really big. There is a standard error of 40 in the GMAT, so you could have had 780 and 700 (assuming 40x2) but not 140 points of difference... very unusual. Definitely need to take another practice test. It also may just need you to retake the GMAT. sometimes people have improved 50-100 points by just retaking.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 14:13
bb wrote:
What are your raw scores in practice CAT's?

Did you have any repeat questions in the GMAT Prep? I can't quite figure out how you would have such a difference in scores... really big. There is a standard error of 40 in the GMAT, so you could have had 780 and 700 (assuming 40x2) but not 140 points of difference... very unusual. Definitely need to take another practice test. It also may just need you to retake the GMAT. sometimes people have improved 50-100 points by just retaking.

By raw scores you mean the CAT scores I got when I started my prep? That would be 630 (low 40s in V and high 30s in Q). I worked really hard in Quant after that since I knew it was my weak point and was consistently scoring 45+ in all the 5-6 tests I took in the last 3 weeks or so. I don't think there were any repeat questions in the GMAT prep, it could be the case but I didn't really notice. Which practice test do you recommend I take again to see where I stand before I start the prep again? I have 5-6 weeks before my 2nd attempt and want to make good use of that time.

Also, do you think of the GMAT question bank? I am considering buying it. I also have the GMAT club app and will do the questions from it again.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2241 [0], given: 690

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 15:11
Expert's post
nktdotgupta wrote:
I have not used it but heard a lot of good reviews about them. If money is not a constraint for you then you can definitely give it a shot as doing more of official questions will always boost your confidence!
For CR i will suggest you to go through powerscore CR bible and nothing else (i think its the best in the business!)

If you need more practice questions then try gmatclub questions.. link to which is already shared with you above.
Also, try grockit.com and this time try to put more emphasis on RC and they have the MOST weight-age in the whole GMAT exam!

Good Luck!

Can you suggest the best material to hit the most difficult Sc question ??' I mean free sources. I have already seen all videos by ron. do you have a suggestion ??

Thanks

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 228 [1] , given: 40

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
Am not sure aboutvery hard questions.. I used to practice only from gmatclub and grockit
You can try grockit hard questions. They might be the one you looking for.

ankit
you must believe

gmatclub topic tags
Thursdays with Ron link

Combined Formula Sheet :

How to Solve :

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 12:23
That's very odd and unusual. Rather scares since I will take GMAT in 25 days.

Maybe u can go for trial of eGMAT and see if you like that.

Not sure if you are weak in verbal though, since you scored good on your mocks.

Anyway Cheer up now and Best of Luck!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 09:40
Hi

I scored 680 on GMAT ( 32 Verbal, 50 Quant, 4.5 AWA and 8 on Integrative Reasoning). I have a 115 on TOEFL ( 29,29,29,28 scores on 4 sections). My Profile - Electrical Engineering from a REC, MBA in HR from MDI Gurgaon, 14 months of work experience as HR Advisor in one of the biggest mutual funds company.
I am applying to UT Austin(McCombs Business School) only. Please suggest if I should give the GMAT again. I was consistently scoring 720+ on all mock tests. Will scoring high in GMAT especially in Verbal area and AWA increase my chance of getting in or do these score reflect poor/insufficient language skills?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 16:56
Based on my personal and professional experience, this is not uncommon. The good news is that you can take the test again (although this is not what you wanted to hear) and I am sure that with proper preparation that you will achieve your target score. Many small things could potentially go wrong on the exam that can impact your score so do not think that there was anything wrong with your study strategy and test prep -- it was just probably a few minor issues that when added together caused a 60 point drop. Do not give up and keep on plugging along and you will soon be reporting that you scored above a 700 on the test.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

BSchool Thread Master

Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 23:04
Re: 700+ in practice tests, 640 on the actual test. Help!   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2012, 23:04