Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 q48 v38

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

700 q48 v38 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 08:27
On my very first diagnostic exam, I scored 530. So I couldn't be happier with 700. :)

I started my journey in mid-July and after one month of consistent studying, I wasn't even hitting the 600 mark. I completed Manhattan SC + OG Verbal, and went over basic math skills for about a month. (2hrs weekdays, 3-4hrs weeknights) and I scored 580 in August.

I completed every single problem in OG11, read all the explanations (both to correct and incorrect questions) and I just took practice exams. I found random exams online (ManhattanGMAT, Crack-GMAT.com, MBA.com... etc). I found over 12 real paper-based exams on Scribd.com and I found these very useful for my preparation. (No longer available from Scribd.com, I don't know why) I also found notes compiled by random people that helped me tremendously.

Overall, I'd recommend solving practice problems. The questions do not recycle, but if you familiarize yourself with the questions, you'll know how to approach the questions on the real exam. I actually looked up almost every question online to see how people solved the question. It's helpful to see how people tackle each question; it gives you every insight on how many other ways each question can be answered.

I solved all SC1000 and CR1000 questions- they're all helpful. If you get a question wrong, check this forum for explanations and make helpful notes regarding idioms and rules... I did 100 SC, 100 CR + few math problems a day. Although some people recommend tackling each topic (whether it be SC, CR, RC, DS, PS) one at a time, I recommend mixing them up so you don't forget concepts and rules.

SC: I referred to ManhattanGMAT SC and solve all the recommended questions. I made note cards and I was mindful of my mistakes. Solved SC1000. (http://thousandsc.blogspot.com/2006/04/qn-1.html) Solve them online so you get used to reading the questions on the computer as opposed to a printed material. I did, however print the questions out so I can solve them on my way to/from work. (30-40min bus/train ride) oh, and definitely solve BRUTAL SC questions compiled by someone. These questions are tricky ones and test you on your readiness.

CR: I printed all 1000 questions. (downloaded from either this forum or Beatthegmat.com) I solved the questions by making notes. Even when the statements were easy, when I made notes, I made fewer errors. I incurred similar CR questions on the real exam. :)

RC: Initially approached this section by just reading the passages and answering the question accordingly. Then I tried skimming but that didn't work. The best method was to spend 6-7 minutes on each passage, taking careful notes. I literally summarized the essay in my own words. This did consume much of my time, but this was the only way that insured my understanding of the passage.

DS: The actual exam questions were not much different in terms of difficulty than the ones in OG11. Practice really makes perfect. It's all about understanding the questions and not making silly mistakes or overlooking something that's blatantly obvious.

PS: Know your basic math concepts. Know the difference between permutation and combination. Know how to measure arcs of a circle. Just know the OG11 book inside and out.

The week before the exam, I went over ALL of the questions I got wrong. I studied my notes and reviewed the idioms. The day of the exam, I went to a nearby bookstore and read up on AWA writing hints and tips. I know I should have practiced writing a few of the essays... I wasn't happy with my essays yesterday, but I can't cry over spilled milk.

Good luck everyone!!! :) Let me know if you have any other questions. I definitely got a lot out of this forum. So let me return the favor the best way I can!

530 (GMAT powerprep)
580 (Manhattan GMAT)
650 (Manhattan GMAT)
630 (GMAT powerprep)
Completed 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th real paper based exams- I did not score these since they are paper exams.
740 (GMAT powerprep)- inflated score because of recycled questions
650 (PowerPrep)
630 (Manhattan GMAT)
670 (PowerPrep)

OFFICIAL GMAT SCORE 700!

So it has been a long journey from 530 to 700, but I'm glad I suffered through this and can proudly say that I got 700!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 08:43
Great score and impressive progression! Well done!
I am passing mine on Monday and my target is 700.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 10:59
I thought questions are never recycled!?!!
There was a question on the exam that I just couldn't figure out. I spent good 5-7 minutes on that questio so it's fresh in my memory. Anyways, I searched online and I FOUND IT. I thought questions are NEVER recycled!!! In any case, I made an educated guess and thankfully it was right! :)
So everyone, pay attention to the problems you solve.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Congrats! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 11:12
Seriously, how in the world did you have time to all that work since mid-July. I'm amazed how some you guys manage to do all this work, like 100SC and 100CR per day! I don't know how you guys have time to do like 12 practice tests...I must have ADD or something because I have only done 3 practice tests over a three month period. Those tests take everything out of me and I lose a day studying because I took the test.

I'm frustrated because I work long hours and have a wife and it is so hard for me to study and stay consistent with everything. Do you have any advice? I have a harder time with the Math section. If I don't do a type of problem after a few days, I will sometimes forget the rules.

Thanks and congrats on the 700! That is a great improvement.

Also, what is your background?
Manager
Manager

Re: Congrats! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 11:34
Thank you.

I really lucked out. I explained to my manager that I just couldn't commit $2000-3000 on a prep course and that I needed to I ease up on my projects. My manager completely understood and didn't overload me with work, though at times it felt like I couldn't handle everything.

So I did 100 CR + SC at work; during lunch hours and 1 hour after work. And that wasn't everyday. I also went on a week vacation to Mexico in August and as much as I hated having to study while on vacation, I completed a huge section of the CR+SC compilation by the pool. I work 7:30am to 4:00pm at the University evaluating research programs. So after work, I quickly grabbed dinner at home and I was off to a local library or bookstore. Again, this wasn't everyday. I'd say I studied 3 out of 5 weekdays from 6pm to 10pm and every Sunday, 11am to 3pm (not including practice exams).

Those paper-based practice exams weren't done with a timer or anything. I answered the questions whenever I had time. I just needed a feel for GMAT like problems. Also, those questions did not come with answers explained. So I had to search online for their explanations. Like I mentioned earlier, reading forums helps tremendously. You get to understand different ways to approach a question.

And I completed a full online exam on weekends.
You're right, those exams take a toll on you. But I learned that if I don't discipline myself and work at it, I can't build the endurance I need to do well on the exam.

If you tend to forget concepts and rules, make a notebook out of those rules. And review them right before taking exams. Sometimes, right after solving a question, I'd forget how to solve it again. So you're not alone on this. The GMAT doesn't deviate too far from the questions you've encountered thus far, so keep at it and really understand the question. Even if you get the question right, go over other ways of solving. it.

I am 24 years old. Although I am a US citizen, English isn't my first language. So those SC1000 questions helped a lot. I went to University of Illinois and studied Health Administration. I was never good at tackling standardized exams, but I truly believe that w/ persistence and confidence, you can beat the GMAT.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 12:02
Wow good progress ...congratulations!!!!..

Can u pls send me that online exam u found from net!! it wil be veryfull..

Thnx!!
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 13:40
good score, deserved it with ur efforts. I have the same problem. my work makes me sick.
wodering if you can give me the link for the paper tests. i could not find it even if i digged into scribd.com.

thanks.
best of luck
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 15:03
sorry guys, as i mentioned in my first post, the links to those paper exams are no longer listed on scribd.com.
i'll keep looking around. i think for copyright reasons, they took them down. cause i can't find those personal notes either.
  [#permalink] 26 Oct 2007, 15:03