Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Accounting
GMAT Date: 11-09-2012
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 21:08
Hi,

I need serious help!

When i do SCs alone, CRs alone and RCs alone. I get almost everything correct. I have been studying for a long time and have a good hold of concepts i believe. However, when i sit to take a test, i screw up. I can't get to go beyond 35 in verbal which isn't good according to my preparation. Please help. What should i do to improve my verbal? My quant is around 49-50 and if i do well in verbal, i can get a good score.

I don't even know where can i improve because i do really well when i do things individually.

Thanks for your time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 02:53
ebhabookworm wrote:
Hi,

I need serious help!

When i do SCs alone, CRs alone and RCs alone. I get almost everything correct. I have been studying for a long time and have a good hold of concepts i believe. However, when i sit to take a test, i screw up. I can't get to go beyond 35 in verbal which isn't good according to my preparation. Please help. What should i do to improve my verbal? My quant is around 49-50 and if i do well in verbal, i can get a good score.

I don't even know where can i improve because i do really well when i do things individually.

Thanks for your time.
First of all let me congratulate you on your Quant capabilities.
Next, I would urge you to stop doubting yourself regarding improvement in Verbal. The stagnation is pretty much a common story. However, you need to do a root cause analysis regarding your failure to replicate your performance in your standalone tests. Are you timing yourself in the individual tests? are you sure its not a stamina issue?

Dig deep to find why this is happening. Sometimes when switching from one subject area to another (say SC to CR or RC to SC) the brain goes through a slight lag (think in terms of a system hang). If this is the case, then the best way to help yourself is to practice all the 3 sections together. Initially it might not be so good, but eventually it should pick up.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Accounting
GMAT Date: 11-09-2012
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 04:06
Anexas wrote:
ebhabookworm wrote:
Hi,

I need serious help!

When i do SCs alone, CRs alone and RCs alone. I get almost everything correct. I have been studying for a long time and have a good hold of concepts i believe. However, when i sit to take a test, i screw up. I can't get to go beyond 35 in verbal which isn't good according to my preparation. Please help. What should i do to improve my verbal? My quant is around 49-50 and if i do well in verbal, i can get a good score.

I don't even know where can i improve because i do really well when i do things individually.

Thanks for your time.
First of all let me congratulate you on your Quant capabilities.
Next, I would urge you to stop doubting yourself regarding improvement in Verbal. The stagnation is pretty much a common story. However, you need to do a root cause analysis regarding your failure to replicate your performance in your standalone tests. Are you timing yourself in the individual tests? are you sure its not a stamina issue?

Dig deep to find why this is happening. Sometimes when switching from one subject area to another (say SC to CR or RC to SC) the brain goes through a slight lag (think in terms of a system hang). If this is the case, then the best way to help yourself is to practice all the 3 sections together. Initially it might not be so good, but eventually it should pick up.


Thanks for your response. I agree. I am going to start practicing the three sub-sections of verbal together jumbled up. It surely looks like a system hang problem to me. It could be stamina issue too i.e. i just start to get a little careless by the end of the tests. Will work on that. Thanks! :)
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1645
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 301

Kudos [?]: 728 [0], given: 6

Re: 700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 10:39
Expert's post
Yes, Anexas is spot on.

Doing SC/CR/RC individually is one thing.

But doing them mixed up all together is another thing.

We always recommend doing them individually at first to maximize improvement. But near the middle-end of your preparation, you need to mix them all together. This is a challenge in itself.

The test is indeed a marathon - and with verbal at the very end of your test, it's important to sustain your mental energy for the most difficult at the end. Switching brain modes from quant to verbal is already tough - switching among various verbal questions is even tougher. So understand that is part of the challenge.
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Accounting
GMAT Date: 11-09-2012
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 23:16
GMATPill wrote:
Yes, Anexas is spot on.

Doing SC/CR/RC individually is one thing.

But doing them mixed up all together is another thing.

We always recommend doing them individually at first to maximize improvement. But near the middle-end of your preparation, you need to mix them all together. This is a challenge in itself.

The test is indeed a marathon - and with verbal at the very end of your test, it's important to sustain your mental energy for the most difficult at the end. Switching brain modes from quant to verbal is already tough - switching among various verbal questions is even tougher. So understand that is part of the challenge.



Thanks much everyone for your valuable advice.. I will work on this and earn some good :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 19:10
math is easy for asian students,but verbal is really hard :(((((((
Re: 700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2013, 19:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic 700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal ebhabookworm 5 03 Jul 2013, 21:11
Q50, V35... Need to focus on verbal, but keep up with math mnuma87 4 18 Jun 2012, 11:18
GMAT 700 (Q50, V35) need your suggestion arunsoumya 5 07 Apr 2012, 09:53
700 (Q 50, V 35) advice needed aditya27 3 12 Aug 2010, 01:14
700 Q50, V35 tauslu 4 08 Oct 2007, 12:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

700 (Q50, V35) need to improve verbal

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.