Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 - Retake ??? Please advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

700 - Retake ??? Please advice [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 08:47
Hello all,

I took the GMAT today and got a disappointing 700 (Q49, V36). Yes, it is definitely disappointing because I expected to score around atleast between 720-760 as indicated by all my GMAT Prep tests. I know I could have done definitely done more better in the verbal.

These are the schools I am aiming for (FULL TIME). (BTW if it matters at all I am a female.....)
1) Haas
2) Kellogg's
3) Booth
4) Duke, Faqua.

Please please advice me on what to do

1) What to do? Do I retake?

2) Do I stand any chance of getting into one of the schools, full time?

3) Even if I retake, I am so shattered and to be honest to take the test again, I doubt if I will cross the 740 barrier......atleast to me it appeared Quant has become increasingly tough and the GMAT PREP tests are no indication to the level of quant questions...so what if next time, my quant decreases a bit but I improve in verbal a bit, finally netting down to the same 700 or a bit better 720..

4) And I definitely do not want to wait until third round.....but if I had to retake I have to wait for 31 more days, which puts me at LOT of risk to be applying to the second round...

What do I do guys......please help...I need this forum more than ever.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

Re: 700 - Retake ??? Please advice [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 10:07
I think to retake after a 700 would give the wrong impression to admissions committees. They'll see a 700 which is a very good score, and might think that even a really good score is not good enough for you. They don't necessarily want perfectionists, but people that can do really well and focus on what is important.

Don't retake. Concentrate on your apps.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2296

Kudos [?]: 9051 [0], given: 3678

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 700 - Retake ??? Please advice [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 13:03
Expert's post
jallenmorris wrote:
I think to retake after a 700 would give the wrong impression to admissions committees. They'll see a 700 which is a very good score, and might think that even a really good score is not good enough for you. They don't necessarily want perfectionists, but people that can do really well and focus on what is important.

Don't retake. Concentrate on your apps.

I would agree. 700 is 90th percentile - you are up there.
Most schools on your list average about 700, so you are in a good spot with a strong score that will not cast any shadows. Today, a score of 750 or 760 is no longer impressive - it is somewhat common in those schools. Unless you get 780 or 790, I don't think you can really improve your chances much (besides the warm feeling in your tummy that you have 99th percentile).

You have probably seen my Retake guide: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html. Read Tarmac's story/debrief about 770 and 7 dings.

If you have 700, definitely not worth taking it again, even if you feel you can do better - here is a thing - everyone, including myself, felt that we could have done better walking out of the test center. The only situation I could see it being worthwhile re-taking is if one of the schools offers a scholarship that's based on the GMAT score.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell 2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 700 - Retake ??? Please advice [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 16:16
Hi there,
If you are planning to apply this year in R1 or R2, you probably shouldn't take the GMAT again because the essays are as important as the exam score and you will need to devote your time to them next few months. My 2 cents.

sdrandom1 wrote:
Hello all,

I took the GMAT today and got a disappointing 700 (Q49, V36). Yes, it is definitely disappointing because I expected to score around atleast between 720-760 as indicated by all my GMAT Prep tests. I know I could have done definitely done more better in the verbal.

These are the schools I am aiming for (FULL TIME). (BTW if it matters at all I am a female.....)
1) Haas
2) Kellogg's
3) Booth
4) Duke, Faqua.

Please please advice me on what to do

1) What to do? Do I retake?

2) Do I stand any chance of getting into one of the schools, full time?

3) Even if I retake, I am so shattered and to be honest to take the test again, I doubt if I will cross the 740 barrier......atleast to me it appeared Quant has become increasingly tough and the GMAT PREP tests are no indication to the level of quant questions...so what if next time, my quant decreases a bit but I improve in verbal a bit, finally netting down to the same 700 or a bit better 720..

4) And I definitely do not want to wait until third round.....but if I had to retake I have to wait for 31 more days, which puts me at LOT of risk to be applying to the second round...

What do I do guys......please help...I need this forum more than ever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re-taking GMAT? My journey from 700 to 740

Re: 700 - Retake ??? Please advice   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2009, 16:16