Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 15

710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 13:56
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello All:

I wrote my GMAT yesterday and scored a 740 (Q 50, V40), AWA 5.5. And without any doubt the biggest reason for the score is the terrific support the community members provided me during my prep. There are lot of study plans available on this forum so I would not detail out the study plan I followed. I followed my instinct :D.

But would love to highlight things which helped me a lot in prep. It took me some time to discover what gems and treasures lie hidden on the numerous pages of this forum.

Right Books

Sentence Correction
1. Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction. Read it page by page and at end of each chapter do the questions from OG which are mentioned at the end. This will let you understand how a particular rule is applied in a given scenario.Trust me each line in the book can make the difference between you selecting the right or wrong answer.
2. Brutal SC A collection of really tough 70 SC problems. Don't get disheartened if you get battered by these tough question. The point is not to get all of them right but to understand why every option is right or wrong in these questions.
3. SC Grail from Aristole Prep: I especially liked the summary they have created of each important concepts of SC.

My tip: I have learned more by figuring out why the four other incorrect options are wrong rather than why the correct option is correct. Practice questions which have quality explanations. No use of questions where you get it right but are not sure why it is right

Critical Reasoning
1. Powerscore CR Bible. Read it fast but give lot of attention to the recap they provide on the problem solving approach at the end of the chapter. Solve each example question they have given in the end of the chapter and make sure you read their explanations.

My tip: Solve lot of quality Critical Reasoning Questions. One way to do it is to do a tag search for 700 level questions on the forum and solve them and post your responses on the forum with justification. Assumption Negation technique is something you should know about

Reading Comprehension
I tried couple of books (Manhattan GMAT Reading Comprehension and others) but nothing helped me. I devised my personal hybrid strategy after miserably failing at using other people's strategy. Realise the fact that if you dont understand the passage right you might end up getting 3-4 questions wrong in one strech.

1.Aristotle RC 99 Has quality Passages and to an extent mimics the difficulty level of GMAT RCs.

My strategy:
-----------
Read the passage slowly. (8 mins at most for RCs with 3 Qs).
Look out for words which change the direction.
Summarize each paragraph in to 1 line in your head/paper. Writing would slow you down.
Make out what role each para plays in the passage.
Start solving questions.

Quant
It came naturally to me because I am an engineer and appeared for CAT thrice :) and averaged around 94% :D on my 3 attempts. But something which helped me revise.
1. GMAT Club Quant Book - Awesome summary of the most important concepts that are applied in GMAT.
2. Bunnel - Follow the Guru and read every solution he gives for a problem. For all the indians on the forum "Gajab funde hain Bunnel guruji ke". For others what I meant was that approach Bunnel applies to solve problems is awesome.

My tip: - Tag search for 700 level questions on the forum and solve them.

AWA
Look no further. One stop solution by chineseburned. But do practice couple of essay prompts.
1. http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

My tip: - I used my first three minutes of each essay question to jot down points. I put my pre-decided template on the pad during the four minute practice time.

CAT Tests
1. Kaplan Online Test
2. Manhattan GMAT test
2. GMAT Prep Test

My tip: Figure out a reason as to why you got a question wrong. I created a excel sheet with tabs for each test and in each of the tab I listed the question#, question type and WHY I got it wrong. And overall for each test what was accuracy on each of the topic (PS/DS/CR/RC/SC). You will be surprised what such analysis can reveal. I always thought SC was where I lagged but I realised RC was where I was consistently below average.

General Tips
> Make a log of questions which completely stumped you. It could be as simple as copy pasting it for last day reference.
> Follow Bunnel for Quant Skills. His approch towards solving problems is awesome and explanations equally crisp and high quality.
> Follow Ron Purewal of MGMAT for Verbal. No one can explain a verbal questions the way the master does
> Be active on forums. I had set my self a target of atleast posting solutions to three verbal problems on the forum.
> I read some where getting 3-4 question wrong in one stretch really hurts your score.
> 5 Hour energy drink helped me a lot in mantaining my concentration level during the exam.
> If nothing is going your way during the exam close your eyes for 10 seconds and then start again. It REALLY worked for me during the exam.
> If you are full time employee I would say take atleast a 3 day leave before the exam. I gave my last two GMATs at the exact time when my real GMAT was.It was important as my GMAT was at morning 8 AM.

And if you have questions do PM me and I WILL get back to you
_________________

-AD


Last edited by arundas on 13 Nov 2010, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Apply - Last Chance
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 693
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 18:40
Good job. I was shooting for V40 but fell short by 3 points. Got a 710. Actually your point on energy drinks is well taken. They do make a difference - positively or negatively, negatively as in my case...
_________________

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 22:01
Congratulations for the awesome score ! You nailed it.

Quote:
> Follow Ron Purewal of MGMAT for Verbal. No one can explain a verbal questions the way the master does


Well said ! I am big fan of Ron. His style is relaxed, smooth, and truly "amazing".

I am also a big fan of TommyWallach who is awesome SC specialist.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.


Last edited by nusmavrik on 29 Oct 2010, 22:25, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2794
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 986 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 22:15
Congrats !! Great score.

do the 5-hour energy drinks available in India?

I m relying on red-bull.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 22:44
Congrats...Great Score :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 23:58
Thanks tnttijji.
tnttijji wrote:
Congrats...Great Score :)

_________________

-AD

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 00:05
Thanks gurpreetsingh. Atleast I never saw 5-hour energy drink in India. One big diff between Red Bull and 5-Hour Energy is the volume. So that way you are not forced too pee soon :D.

The only suggestion I have is that try giving practice test couple of times with Red Bull. I kinda figured out that 5-hour energy drink worked best for me if I drank it after AWA. But that could be just me :). Dont want to scare you but I read somewhere that if you drink these liquids beyond what your body/brain can sustain you would loose concentration.

gurpreetsingh wrote:
Congrats !! Great score.

do the 5-hour energy drinks available in India?

I m relying on red-bull.

_________________

-AD

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 00:57
Awesome stuff Arundas. You have really nailed it. Can you please post a link where to find 'Bunnel's fundas'?

Thanks,
M
_________________

WHERE IS THE PASSION?

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Posts: 173
Location: singapore
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 04:27
Congratulations...Gr8 score.
Gud luck with your Apps
_________________

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 07:38
Hey nageshshiv,

Thanks for the wishes. I am so confused right now that whether I should apply this year because 1) I have not done much research on the schools and 2) most of the round#1s are over.


nageshshiv wrote:
Congratulations...Gr8 score.
Gud luck with your Apps

_________________

-AD

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 07:47
Hey MathewLester,

Thanks. Bunnel is all over the quant forum and he responds to pretty much every question on the quant forum.

I am not sure if he has summarized all his fundas into one post or thread. I would say a good idea would be to follow him.

MathewLester wrote:
Awesome stuff Arundas. You have really nailed it. Can you please post a link where to find 'Bunnel's fundas'?

Thanks,
M

_________________

-AD

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2009
Posts: 64
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 10:32
Congratulations,man! That's a fantastic score. Now you can heave a sigh of relief that at least you won't have to worry about the GMAT score while applying to the schools ,all you have to do is focus on your profile.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 12:06
Hey Arundas,

Just signed up to follow him and I already have a list of links to attend to, thanks mate :)
_________________

WHERE IS THE PASSION?

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 22:23
Thats great. Best of luck

MathewLester wrote:
Hey Arundas,

Just signed up to follow him and I already have a list of links to attend to, thanks mate :)

_________________

-AD

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2009
Posts: 64
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 07:59
How would you compare the passages you saw on the GMAT vis-a-vis the ones in RC99 ? I mean,my accuracy in some of the high difficulty level passages in RC99 is not encouraging enough ,so I am a little bothered.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 12:25
Hey Target2010,

I am not at liberty to discuss the GMAT questions :) but I feel that they were not as tough as the tough section of RC99. This could be again because I was not acing the GMAT Verbal and got a reasonable 40.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that during GMAT that you would be stressed out and easy passage also can become tough.

I agree the high difficulty questions of RC99 are real tough and i would most of the time get 2-3 or 1-3 right. But the take away from the exercise from the practicing those questions to learn how to summarize the passage and what role each para plays. You will see both of these things in the solutions. This made me realize what I was missing and the things I had to look for. I created an error log for each mistake and tried to find a definite reason as to why I went wrong. That helped me significantly.

For e.g. I would frequently miss words like However, but or therefore which kind of manipulated the general flow.

target2010 wrote:
How would you compare the passages you saw on the GMAT vis-a-vis the ones in RC99 ? I mean,my accuracy in some of the high difficulty level passages in RC99 is not encouraging enough ,so I am a little bothered.

_________________

-AD

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2009
Posts: 64
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 01:12
arundas wrote:
Hey Target2010,

I am not at liberty to discuss the GMAT questions :) but I feel that they were not as tough as the tough section of RC99. This could be again because I was not acing the GMAT Verbal and got a reasonable 40.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that during GMAT that you would be stressed out and easy passage also can become tough.

I agree the high difficulty questions of RC99 are real tough and i would most of the time get 2-3 or 1-3 right. But the take away from the exercise from the practicing those questions to learn how to summarize the passage and what role each para plays. You will see both of these things in the solutions. This made me realize what I was missing and the things I had to look for. I created an error log for each mistake and tried to find a definite reason as to why I went wrong. That helped me significantly.

For e.g. I would frequently miss words like However, but or therefore which kind of manipulated the general flow.

Hey arundas,
Thanks a lot for your advice.Your words certainly made me feel better. Even I realized that though my accuracy level is low in the high difficulty passages of RC99, but my confidence and the comfortable level has certainly shot up after doing those passages. After doing an incredible number of passages in RC99, at least now I have an idea about what all kind of passages may appear on the GMAT and have also become aware about the different areas,topics and subjects about which I didn't have any clue.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 06:35
target2010 wrote:
arundas wrote:
Hey Target2010,

I am not at liberty to discuss the GMAT questions :) but I feel that they were not as tough as the tough section of RC99. This could be again because I was not acing the GMAT Verbal and got a reasonable 40.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that during GMAT that you would be stressed out and easy passage also can become tough.

I agree the high difficulty questions of RC99 are real tough and i would most of the time get 2-3 or 1-3 right. But the take away from the exercise from the practicing those questions to learn how to summarize the passage and what role each para plays. You will see both of these things in the solutions. This made me realize what I was missing and the things I had to look for. I created an error log for each mistake and tried to find a definite reason as to why I went wrong. That helped me significantly.

For e.g. I would frequently miss words like However, but or therefore which kind of manipulated the general flow.

Hey arundas,
Thanks a lot for your advice.Your words certainly made me feel better. Even I realized that though my accuracy level is low in the high difficulty passages of RC99, but my confidence and the comfortable level has certainly shot up after doing those passages. After doing an incredible number of passages in RC99, at least now I have an idea about what all kind of passages may appear on the GMAT and have also become aware about the different areas,topics and subjects about which I didn't have any clue.


Glad I could be of some help.
_________________

-AD

Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 290
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 09:57
Hey arundas,
Congrats on such a fantastic score! I'd love to have your score.By the way,any specific reason why did you take the GMAT again when you already had a 710 on the GMAT and by now you'd obviously would have a good amount of work-experience ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: ISB, Hyderabad
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 15

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 10:30
shovitdhar wrote:
Hey arundas,
Congrats on such a fantastic score! I'd love to have your score.By the way,any specific reason why did you take the GMAT again when you already had a 710 on the GMAT and by now you'd obviously would have a good amount of work-experience ?


Primarily, it is a 4 years old score and unfortunately I am in the Indian IT Male bracket and in general the average for this category is quite high. Secondly I somehow felt looking at the score's of my friends that I could definitely hit 750. I missed though but 30 points increase was also good for me.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like to know more about my reasoning.

cheers
Arun
_________________

-AD

Re: 710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2010, 10:30
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic From 650 to 740! Thanks to GMATCLUB.com loki2686 17 20 Jun 2013, 11:50
2 Wow, finished my last application today! Thanks gmatclub! miccarlo 2 03 Feb 2010, 00:09
Thanks GMATClub! Broke 40 Quant today! jimmyjamesdonkey 3 16 Jun 2007, 11:18
From 560 to 710 thanks to GmatClub RickyM 4 20 Apr 2007, 00:18
girikorat strikes 710 (Q49 V38).......Thank you GMATClub girikorat 3 24 Nov 2006, 03:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

710 4 years back to 740 today- Thanks a lot GMATClub

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 32 posts ] 

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.