Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 (48/39)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

710 (48/39) [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 11:35
hi friends

I took the gmat today.
many thanks to akamaibrah,stolyar,stoolfi,martin,wondergmat, dj,asandeep, anandnk,titliest for all your contributions to my preparation.

Quant - Nothing in principle was difficult. A bit of thinking usually leads to the right answer. this said, quant took a lot out of me.

Verbal - Sentence Correction was almost the same difficulty level as we do here everyday....CR and RC were ok,except for one tough RC.


Questions are welcome.

EDIT : stoolfi, i was really tired when i wrote this. sorry i forgot to mention your name.

thanks
praetorian

Last edited by Praetorian on 07 Jan 2004, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Joined: 11 Oct 2003
Posts: 102
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

You owe more.. [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 11:46
Congrats!! I am assuming you are happy with your score. I think you owe more to this site than just Quant was OK and so was verbal:)

Personally, I am expecting to see what specific areas you were tested in. Also, it will help us if you posted your prep scores, strengths, background etc..

Last edited by mantha on 07 Jan 2004, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 971
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 11:47
wow. that's a wonderful score, Preat. Many Congratulations!! :-D

okay, in verbal, what 's the pattern of first 10-12 questions? RCs??
I am not afraid of going head on with RCs, but these can go wrong. Were the passages too intricate? lauguage and scope? history or contemporary?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 233
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 12:33
Many CONGRATS to you, praet!! You did it!
:woohoo

I need some tips in Verbal section, since I manage to not to not do so hot on it. How did you prepare for verbal... like what was your study habits for this section? What material did you use?

Of course, your input has been very helpful on this site. Are you gonna hang around? And have you decided where you want to go for MBA?

Also, here's a fun problem for ya: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4032. :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 12:35
Congratulation Praet. You definitely had to have at least 700! All the best for your applications
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2003
Posts: 503
Location: 55405
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 13:02
I echo the chorus of congratulations. Nice work, Praetorian.


But I wonder, like dj asked,

"Were the passages too intricate? lauguage and scope? history or contemporary?"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2003
Posts: 427
Location: Aus
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 14:56
Great score. Were you able to complete the verbal session on time ? How many practice tests did you do before the exam.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2003
Posts: 462
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Congrats..! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 15:59
Many Congratulations to you Praet....Did Julia bring in good luck for you.

Im sure you wud have got some great insights into this dreadful exam...please please please share it with us.

Vivek
_________________

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 17:14
dj wrote:
wow. that's a wonderful score, Preat. Many Congratulations!! :-D

okay, in verbal, what 's the pattern of first 10-12 questions? RCs??
I am not afraid of going head on with RCs, but these can go wrong. Were the passages too intricate? lauguage and scope? history or contemporary?


Thanks dj.

No CR's till the 11th question. Two RC's and the rest SC's.

SC's:

In the first 20 questions, I used idioms only sparingly in my analysis of SC's ...some of the SC's were tough...My plan was to get done with SC's as soon as possible...but i easily took 2 minutes for most of the SC's.


CR :

CR was quite ok actually. but what can one expect after..anandnk and asandeep's wonderful contribution to my CR skills.


RC :

i always believe that doing RC's correctly is critical to breach 40 in verbal. I never got the really tough SC's and one can safely assume that Three RC passages in the first 20 questions had a lot to do with that.

Considering that not many make it past a 40 Verbal, i get the feeling that we work too hard in SC's and relatively less for RC's.

One RC passage was a bit hard to understand, but thats all.

topics : women, 2 on history, economics
CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 17:28
wonder_gmat wrote:
Many CONGRATS to you, praet!! You did it!
:woohoo

I need some tips in Verbal section, since I manage to not to not do so hot on it. How did you prepare for verbal... like what was your study habits for this section? What material did you use?

Of course, your input has been very helpful on this site. Are you gonna hang around? And have you decided where you want to go for MBA?

Also, here's a fun problem for ya: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4032. :-D


thanks wonder

you have been a great help.

CR - gmatclub discussions and LSAT
SC - wall street journal , gmatplus, OG , gmatclub , http://www.sentencecorrection.com

RC - Practice and more Practice..no way out here

Try to do verbal "at speed"....i mean...time yourself everytime you do a question in verbal.

As for study habits, i worked very hard for SC's for close to two months.. http://www.bartleby.com , http://www.commnet.webster.edu

I have always found explaining and participating in discussions to be really helpful with the verbal section of the gmat.

I have to stress here that cracking RC's is the key to go past 40 in verbal.
We all work hard in SC's and CR's, which is fine if the first 10 questions turn out to be SC's and CR's.

good enough?

good luck friend
CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 17:33
Geethu wrote:
Great score. Were you able to complete the verbal session on time ? How many practice tests did you do before the exam.


Geethu

yes, but only just...i had about 10 seconds to go.

kaplan, princeton and powerprep - 10 in all
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 334
Location: Uruguay
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 17:41
You did it man!! Congratulations!!! Feeling relieved?

Are you applying in the third rounds this year ?


Congrats again

Martin
CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

Re: Congrats..! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 17:49
vivek_dj wrote:
Many Congratulations to you Praet....Did Julia bring in good luck for you.
Im sure you wud have got some great insights into this dreadful exam...please please please share it with us.

Vivek


vivek

i was not thinking of julia at all :)

insight # 1

no matter how good you are at math, you are going to see new and different questions on test day. keeping a cool head is the key to do well on the GMAT.

insight # 2

Think real simple , start every problem from first principles. say you get a prob. question , start with prob = total favorable outcomes/total outcomes...and go from there.

it sounds stupid here...but i like to start simple and take it from there.
Start every problem only after you understand every thing about it.

insight # 3

take as many practice tests you can take ( BUT do not sacrifice on practice )

remember, the easy questions can screw you up the most...if you get them wrong

insight # 4

its not reasonable to expect a certain score on the basis of practice tests.
once you walk in that test center, take it one question at a time.
forget all the kaplans,princetons and the like...

good enough?
CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 17:51
MartinMag wrote:
You did it man!! Congratulations!!! Feeling relieved?

Are you applying in the third rounds this year ?

Congrats again

Martin


thanks for your wishes
CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

Re: You owe more.. [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 17:57
mantha wrote:
Congrats!! I am assuming you are happy with your score. I think you owe more to this site than just Quant was OK and so was verbal:)

Personally, I am expecting to see what specific areas you were tested in. Also, it will help us if you posted your prep scores, strengths, background etc..



Kaplan - 550 , 590 , 650 , 700 ( took these way back in october)Princeton - 650 , 640, 660,680 ( same ...all these in october)
Powerprep - 760 , 710 ( two days before the test)
CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2004, 18:00
Paul wrote:
Congratulation Praet. You definitely had to have at least 700! All the best for your applications


thanks paul.

good luck to you too.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 06 Jun 2003
Posts: 59
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 03:43
Congrats p! You have the same composite score and the Q/V scores that I got when I took the exam about 3 weeks ago :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Oct 2003
Posts: 252
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 07:17
Congratulations Praet ... though I was expecting a higher score from you.

Your posts helped me a lot.
CEO
CEO
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 08:38
thanks blue and pitts.

good luck to you too.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2003
Posts: 596
Location: On Vacation at My Crawford, Texas Ranch
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 710 (48/39) [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 09:42
praetorian123 wrote:
hi friends

I took the gmat today.
many thanks to akamaibrah,stolyar,stoolfi,martin,wondergmat, dj,asandeep, anandnk,titliest for all your contributions to my preparation.

Quant - Nothing in principle was difficult. A bit of thinking usually leads to the right answer. this said, quant took a lot out of me.

Verbal - Sentence Correction was almost the same difficulty level as we do here everyday....CR and RC were ok,except for one tough RC.


Questions are welcome.

EDIT : stoolfi, i was really tired when i wrote this. sorry i forgot to mention your name.

thanks
praetorian



Many Congrats Praetorian! I'll be taking my GMATs soon. Keep hanging around here, we need good people like yourself - I know this site has definitely helped me in the past few months that I've been here! All the best in your applications!

Titleist,

BTW, wish me luck on my exam!

:-D
Re: 710 (48/39)   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2004, 09:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts DONE!!! 710... jrabenho 8 25 Oct 2005, 21:37
New posts 710!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kaitibruck 6 15 Oct 2006, 15:27
New posts 710 and done.. compuser1978 3 09 Jan 2007, 08:23
New posts 680 to 710 flood 8 21 Jun 2008, 13:38
New posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic 660 to 710 ral 7 27 Jun 2009, 00:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

710 (48/39)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Moderator: TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.