Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 49q / 37v

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

710 49q / 37v [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 16:20
Wow, I just got out of the test a couple of hours ago and I am so relieved.

First I'll talk about my study prep, then I'll talk about test day.

Thank you HongHu for all your great explainations!

My prep:
-----------

I decided to apply this fall 05, back in summer 04, so I took my time and studied slowly for about 9 months. My verbal scores ranged from 83%-98%, most of the problems I got wrong were SC. I tried to learn sentence correction (prep books, grammer books, etc), but I couldn't improve, so I decided that my verbal scores were good enough, so I forgot about stupid SC.

Here are the books that I used:

1. Princeton Review with CD: I went through the problems. The backsolving techniques were ok. The scores on the CD were pretty indicative of my scores

2. Kapalan GMAT math review: I think this got my most of my info. I went through all the problems 3 times. This book doesn't give you all the techniques, but if gives you a lot of info

3. Barron's GMAT: I liked this one. I think the questions are harder than normal GMAT questions

4. Princeton Review Verbal: I didn't need help with RC or CR, and i was hoping that it would help me with SC, but it didn't

5. Official Guide: I did all the Quant problem, marked the ones I screwed up, then did them over. This is where I really learned all the different question types and techniques.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The test day:

I got to the prometric place. The people were really nice and helped calm me down. The test room way crowded and noisy (people walking on the floors above, squeaky chairs). I used the crappy head-phones that they gave me (I've been practicing with my one good ones, but they didn't let me use them), and I was distrubed by the noise.

The essays:
I the the $20 graded essays twice and got 6's all around. So these were pretty easy for me. Issue was an easier one, which was good since that was what I was weaker on

The Quant:
Seriously, I don't know how I got 90% on this. I felt totally out of the zone. I thought I got questions 2..5 wrong, but I guess not. I studied sooo much for probabilty, but alas, not even one prob question. I thought I screwed up a lot in the beginning because question 2 and 6 were both add up salaries and figure out the average.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 16:29
mlpxmlp.

Congratulations for your excellent score.
All the best for your applications processes.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 16:34
Congratulations !!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 20:40
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you share your experience with the math challenges? were they helpful? how can we improve them?

thanks
Praetorian
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 03:55
Could you please talk a little bit about the Verbal Section. What kinda questions you saw in SC, CR and RC's. Without ofcourse giving away the questions verbatim. You know the types of questions, level of difficulty, etc.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 04:45
For verbal:

The way the questions came was a bit weird. 4 SC, 2 RC, 2 CR, lots of SC, lots of CR, one last RC, one last SC

RC:
I got a 40, 50, and 80 line one. There was nothing hard about any of these. No crazy technical ones. Pretty standard questions regarding purpose of line X, etc. On the 80 line it compared and contrasted

SC:
I wish I could help others with this, but like I said before, I couldn't help myself get better at RC

CR: There was actually some hard ones here. I encountered three that were harder than I've seen before. Or maybe I was just dazed from working hard on the other sections. I got NO bold questions. The technique I needed to use to solve the really hard CR was basically map out all the data in it and how they relate to each other.

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to answer.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 04:49
The math challanges were good before it forced me to think about what topics I was a little weak on. If I knew a topic so-so, I would probably get most of those questions correct in the OG and I would forget about it. But the challanges were so hard that they helped focus me on what I didn't know. The thing that I had to learn was that the GMAT only has a limited number of topics and you just have to become a machine at doing those questions.

One bad thing about the challanges: I completed a couple of them, and when I tried to navigate back to review my answers somehow I erased my answers, and that was really disappointing.

Praetorian wrote:
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you share your experience with the math challenges? were they helpful? how can we improve them?

thanks
Praetorian
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 07:39
Congratulation mlpxmlp. All the best in your future endeavors!

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 09:56
By the way, I took my test in the Boston Prometric site. The people were all really great and friendly, but it was noisy. So if you are in the Boston area, maybe you want to try a different place in the area. I wish the headphone worked a little better.. But that's ok, I don't think I could have done much better myself.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 05:04
mlpxmlp wrote:
For verbal:

The way the questions came was a bit weird. 4 SC, 2 RC, 2 CR, lots of SC, lots of CR, one last RC, one last SC

RC:
I got a 40, 50, and 80 line one. There was nothing hard about any of these. No crazy technical ones. Pretty standard questions regarding purpose of line X, etc. On the 80 line it compared and contrasted

SC:
I wish I could help others with this, but like I said before, I couldn't help myself get better at RC

CR: There was actually some hard ones here. I encountered three that were harder than I've seen before. Or maybe I was just dazed from working hard on the other sections. I got NO bold questions. The technique I needed to use to solve the really hard CR was basically map out all the data in it and how they relate to each other.

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to answer.

Could you please elaborate a little bit more on the type of SC questions you saw: In the first 4 questions, were they straight-forward parallelism or misplaced modifiers, etc, etc or did you have to delve deeper into "breaking a sentence" down?

Also for the CR section, when you say you mapped out all the data do you mean you "jotted down" what the Premise, Conclusion, was on paper? Or was it just a mental note: An "Aha" moment, i see where the author is going with the premise and how he reached the conclusion? Please elaborate.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 05:41
>>Could you please elaborate a little bit more on the type of SC questions >>you saw: In the first 4 questions, were they straight-forward parallelism or >>misplaced modifiers, etc, etc or did you have to delve deeper into >>"breaking a sentence" down?

I have no idea. I am horrible at SC. All I could ever do was just read through the answer choices a couple of times, figure out the differences in them, and try to narrow it down as best as possible.

>>Also for the CR section, when you say you mapped out all the data do you >>mean you "jotted down" what the Premise, Conclusion, was on paper? Or >>was it just a mental note: An "Aha" moment, i see where the author is >>going with the premise and how he reached the conclusion? Please >>elaborate.

I actually wrote down all the premises and their relations to each other; then I tried to think through each answer choice. I jotted down a couple of words and drew arrows and everything. I think I had to read through each set of answers 10 times before I found the answer (and in 1 case, just gave up). I was pretty dizzy after all the testing so I needed that.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2005, 09:09
Could you talk a little bit about the "timing" for the Verbal Section. How much time you had left, etc, etc. For e.g. I solved the first 5 questions in 12 minutes, etc, etc.

As you got towards the end of the test how many question did you have left. E.g. I had 10 questions i need to do in 12 minutes. I was in "rapid fire" mode and i think my accuracy was 60% for these questions.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2005, 14:13
gmataquaguy wrote:
Could you talk a little bit about the "timing" for the Verbal Section. How much time you had left, etc, etc. For e.g. I solved the first 5 questions in 12 minutes, etc, etc.

As you got towards the end of the test how many question did you have left. E.g. I had 10 questions i need to do in 12 minutes. I was in "rapid fire" mode and i think my accuracy was 60% for these questions.

Well I think I'm different in timing for verbal than most. I can ususally finish a verbal section in 30-40 mintues. I'm not sure why I can do these faster. Maybe since I don't linger on the SC (no matter my technique I can only get 1/2 of them right). Even with slowing down for 1-2 hard CR questions I can still blast through.

The only advise I can give is that if you get a RC that is comparing and contrasting, as you go, keep track of the thing they list.
Intern
Intern

AWA 5.5 (all AWA answers included) [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2005, 13:50
Hi, I just wanted to post about my AWA score of 5.5. When I practiced I always got 6, but I'm not complaining about my 5.5.

I'm not a great writer, I just used my girlfriend's proven technique of writing a lot to achieve these scores. I think I got a 5 on the Issue and a 6 on the argument. Perhaps my essays had a little too much BS? I used the princeton review techniques which were pretty straight forward.

Also I attached a file that has answers to all the AWA questions. They essays seem to be ok, and I used them as a guide after I worked on practice problems.
Attachments

2004-09-02_154302_GMAT_AWA_224_Sample.doc [1.07 MiB]
Downloaded 114 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 08:18
Helpful material.Thanks!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 12:04
Great Score. Good luck for the application process.
  [#permalink] 29 Jun 2005, 12:04