Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 23:05
Need advice from experts please:-

I gave my GMAT on 25-MAR-2013 and scored 710 (Q50 V35). However I received the full score report yesterday with disappointing IR score (IR-2 with 12 percentile). In my earlier attempt I had scored 670 (Q49 V32) with IR5. I am planning to apply UC Berkeley Haas Part-time/evening MBA (Round1-OCT 2013). I am okay with 710 GMAT score (avg score for Haars Part-time MBA is 692), however I am much worried due to poor IR score. Will such low IR score risk my application/admission chance? Is it worth taking GMAT exam again ONLY to improve IR score? Please advice.

Background:
Indian male with 11 years of IT experience including 4 years of Managerial experience. Working in reputed high-tech company in California since 6 years.
Education: BE in computer science with first class from top college from Mumbai university.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 553 [1] , given: 5

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Prashant750 wrote:

I gave my GMAT on 25-MAR-2013 and scored 710 (Q50 V35). However I received the full score report yesterday with disappointing IR score (IR-2 with 12 percentile). In my earlier attempt I had scored 670 (Q49 V32) with IR5. I am planning to apply UC Berkeley Haas Part-time/evening MBA (Round1-OCT 2013). I am okay with 710 GMAT score (avg score for Haars Part-time MBA is 692), however I am much worried due to poor IR score. Will such low IR score risk my application/admission chance? Is it worth taking GMAT exam again ONLY to improve IR score? Please advice.

Background:
Indian male with 11 years of IT experience including 4 years of Managerial experience. Working in reputed high-tech company in California since 6 years.
Education: BE in computer science with first class from top college from Mumbai university.

Hi Prashant -

Got your PM about this question.

Try to put yourself in adcom shoes.

This is what they see: - Indian male, experienced IT; GMAT score: 670 (Q49 V32) with IR5, then 710 (Q50 V35) with IR2

Though you are generally weaker in verbal than in math - this demonstrates your capacity to make improvements when given the opportunity. Your IR score could mean that you didn't put in the effort the 2nd time - or could be understandable if the rest of your application is stellar (indicating your super busy doing lots of activities, etc) - and you just didn't have the time to ace IR.

In my view, if you retake the exam just for IR - and you still end up with IR 4 or 5 - that's bad...PLUS you risk doing worse in Q/V as well.

So while IR2 is not ideal, I'd say it's not worth the retake. Because if you get low IR again, then they will definitely dismiss you as a candidate who can't integrate your reasoning.

Focus on building the rest of your application - hopefully to the extent that it makes it seem you are quite busy with other activities - so busy that you neglected IR (!) - though you were able to make the verbal improvement when you needed to - separating yourself from other Indian IT candidates who had a weak verbal score but could not make that improvement.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 16:59
Thank you GmatPill and Rakesh for your valuable advice.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 10

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
I have the same problem: IR 7 (83%) in the first attempt but only 3 (23%) in the second one. In fact I did not practice any IR between 2 attempts and failed to manage the timing in the second one, but still, I think questions are very fluctuating and this section is in the experimental stage, hence, it might still have some miscalculation. In my case I decided not to retake.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 79

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
Prashant, sorry for my slow response to your PM! I don't think you should worry about a retake at all, especially since you're applying to part-time MBA programs. The IR section really isn't all that important in admissions yet, and I don't think that anybody is getting rejected for a low IR score... at least not yet. IR may or may not become a significant factor in full-time admissions over the next couple of years, but for now, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with regard to a part-time MBA application.

It sounds like you have a perfectly solid application, but if you somehow get rejected this fall, it won't be because of the IR score. So relax and enjoy your freedom from the GMAT!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 79

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 21:34
And while I'm here... TamDuongVN, did you really improve from a 550 to a 740?!? That's incredible! Where's your debrief? Whatever you did, you deserve some serious credit, and I have a feeling that plenty of other members would love to hear about your experience. Congratulations!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 21:51
GMATNinja wrote:
And while I'm here... TamDuongVN, did you really improve from a 550 to a 740?!? That's incredible! Where's your debrief? Whatever you did, you deserve some serious credit, and I have a feeling that plenty of other members would love to hear about your experience. Congratulations!

Thanks GMATNinja. I have already wrote my debrief, but could not upload it as I haven’t got yet 5 posts to create my own. This one is the fourth :-D hope to share it today.
Intern
Intern

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 22:22
GMATNinja wrote:
Prashant, sorry for my slow response to your PM! I don't think you should worry about a retake at all, especially since you're applying to part-time MBA programs. The IR section really isn't all that important in admissions yet, and I don't think that anybody is getting rejected for a low IR score... at least not yet. IR may or may not become a significant factor in full-time admissions over the next couple of years, but for now, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with regard to a part-time MBA application.

It sounds like you have a perfectly solid application, but if you somehow get rejected this fall, it won't be because of the IR score. So relax and enjoy your freedom from the GMAT!

Thanks for your advice GMATNinja! It helped relieve some stress caused out of IR...I'll now focus on strengthening my application/profile.
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 160 [1] , given: 66

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 22:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Prashant750 wrote:

Background:

Hi Prashant750, I can understand why you're a little worried about the low IR score, but you're covered pretty well here. The IR is less than a year old so it's really not the most important facet of the GMAT, and you already took the exam before and scored a 5, so the section obviously isn't a huge weakness for you. You should be good to go with your current scores, no need for a retake.

Best of luck!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 895

Kudos [?]: 3794 [1] , given: 148

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Prashant750 wrote:

Background:

Responding to a pm:

Considering that you have already got enough advice, I was wondering whether I should put in mine too! I did because I wanted to point out one thing:

IR is new and its forecasting capabilities are not established yet. Hence weightage given to IR will be very little. Also, because of your 11 yr work-ex, GMAT is just an initial filter for you - something that tells them that you can handle the rigors of B-School (which your Q50 proves beyond doubt). What the adcom will actually be interested in is what you have done in your work life. With part time MBA, anyway, the focus is work-ex, not so much academics. So think about what you have done in the last 11 yrs of work and what you plan to do in the next 35 after B-School.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2013, 20:52
Thank you Ron, Karishma, GMAT Ninja, GMATpill, TamDuongVN & Rakesh for taking time to provide your valuable inputs/advice. I have decided not to give GMAT again. I will take your advice to focus all my energy to prepare a really strong application. As I have 6 months to prepare the application, I will plan to take up some coursework and extracurricular activities to mitigate this IR risk or any other weaknesses. Thanks again for your advice!
Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR?   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2013, 20:52