Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 but trying again: Thank you everyone!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellog, Haas
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

710 but trying again: Thank you everyone!!!! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 02:47
Hello Everyone

This is my first post, and to begin with I would like to thank the founder for this amazing forum and everyone else for the quality of their contributions. Some bits about myself:

Male; 31; BA (Top of the class from a well known Asian university), MBA (3.74/4.00), MS (Research degree from a well known UK university); work ex:6 years; currently working full time; GMAT:710 (V-42, Q-44). I am interested in pursuing a PhD in management / strategic management / Public Policy.

I applied this year to a few, more as a test of my candidacy: Dinged by all (US & UK). But I did manage to get interview calls from a both the US business school I applied to (T10 and T30). Their feedback (unofficial): Improve your quant score (I had 72 percentile) and try to publish your Master's thesis (which is a separate discussion).

So I have decided to give GMAT one more shot. The views and plans shared by several contributors have been a great help, especially the ones on quality of study material. Unfortunately for me taking leave is not an option. So I am working on a 16 week plan. I will keep you posted on my experience and progress.

Cheers
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 but trying again: Thank you everyone!!!! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 12:12
Horrible score:>> Isn't it basically luck to score more than 710? How much more can you know?
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellog, Haas

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 but trying again: Thank you everyone!!!! [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 01:03
Hi Golfpro

I know there is lot of debate in this forum on retaking if you have 700+ score. But we need to decide for ourselves, based on strengths and weaknesses. I will try to convince you why I should:

1-GMAT requirements for a PhD are relatively stringent, vis-a-vis an MBA.
2-My target schools are extremely competitive. e.g. one of the schools (T10) had 330 applications for strategy (my area), interviewed 20 and gave 3 offfers. I have allready mentioned their feedback in the earlier post.
3- The PhD admission committee expects strong quant ability. As I dont have a economics/maths undergrad, GMAT is my only chance to showcase that.
4- There is an imbalance in my score (95 v/s 72).
5- I gave my 1st GMAT 6 years after undergrad and studied in a one week leave. Bad planning. So I do think that my quant score is not representative of my ability.
6- Finally, I am working full time and can afford $250 fee :-). Rest of the inputs (time and concentration) are entirely mine to give.

Yes, I do agree that there might be a bit of luck in scoring. But it's worth it anyway. What other choice do I have, as per the feedback.

Hope I have touched upon many of the issues relevant to quite a few of us.

Cheers
Re: 710 but trying again: Thank you everyone!!!!   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2010, 01:03