Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 five years ago. We'll see what it's worth now!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

710 five years ago. We'll see what it's worth now! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 10:48
I want to share this one as you might find it interesting due to the ridiculous timeframe between the tests.

Five years ago I came with a rather odd plan of getting an MBA right after I graduated from college. After about a month and a half of preparation I got a score of 710 (Q50, V38) on the GMAT back in 2008. I was quite happy about it, but due to my lack of work experience I was dinged at every school I applied to.

Fast forward five years.

I'm much more serious about getting an MBA this time around and I have almost 4 years of work experience. But I have to retake the GMAT due to the 5 year expiration date. I studied about 3-4 weeks, with only this week being, what I would consider, serious studying (come back from work, 4 hours of studying, go to bed...). I'm taking the exam on Monday, my most recent CAT was 730 (Q49, V40).

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes, I'm very curious if there's going to be any big difference between what I scored in 2008 and what I'm going to score on Monday. My goal is to go one notch higher than my previous result - 720 would be completely satisfactory!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: 710 five years ago. We'll see what it's worth now! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 16:01
Whew, okay, so this was a weird experience. I scored 720, Q48, V41. It happens very rarely that I would flunk quant and it happens very rarely that I would do well in verbal and I guess I don't have to tell you that it pretty much never happens that the two would happen at the same time... Well, anyway 700+ so I'm quite happy. Not sure what the lesson here is - last week I was very concerned about my verbal, so I've spent a lot of time preparing for that and neglecting quantitative, in which I felt quite confident. I guess both should go in parallel...

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice from someone who knows the admissions process well. Would 720 with rather poor quant (48) be considered a liability for someone with the following profile:

(current information, not at matriculation)
27 years old

4 years of WE:
* 2.5 years as a business analyst at a top tech company
* 1 year at a Big Four company in the consulting division
* 0.5 year social entrepreneurship

3.4 GPA, best Polish university, double majored in Marketing & Management and International Management

Extracurricular: Strong leadership experience during academia, decent entrepreneurial experience in recent 1.5 years.

Targeting: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Sloan MIT.

Other: VERY strong international experience (studied / worked in 8 different countries).

..so basic question is - should I retake to improve quant? I generally pride myself on analytical abilities. Big thank you in advance!
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: 710 five years ago. We'll see what it's worth now! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 18:12
48 is in the 78% ile. That's a good score - don't beat yourself up over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Re: 710 five years ago. We'll see what it's worth now!   [#permalink] 20 May 2013, 18:12