Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 GMAT But Quant Percentile Fell - Need to Retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

710 GMAT But Quant Percentile Fell - Need to Retake? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:51
Hello,

I took the GMAT two years ago (in 2011) and got a 710 (44Q/44V). I wasn't very happy with my quant score at the time (68th percentile) but thought this would be OK if I could spend time improving other aspects of my application. I was primarily concerned because I heard that MBA programs prefer an 80%+ percentile for both the quantitative and verbal sections.

However, I just checked the updated percentiles today and realized that my 44Q is now a 61% - a 7% decline in the past 2 years. Now my previous concerns have resurfaced. I plan to apply to business schools in fall 2014 and am aiming at the top 10 programs.

I have a 3.75 undergrad GPA in Economics and will have ~5 years work experience in corporate finance. How detrimental will the low quant score (and now much lower percentile) be to my overall application and admissions success? Do I significantly improve my chances by retaking the GMAT?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5038 [0], given: 164

Re: 710 GMAT But Quant Percentile Fell - Need to Retake? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 20:31
Expert's post
ds17 wrote:
Hello,

I took the GMAT two years ago (in 2011) and got a 710 (44Q/44V). I wasn't very happy with my quant score at the time (68th percentile) but thought this would be OK if I could spend time improving other aspects of my application. I was primarily concerned because I heard that MBA programs prefer an 80%+ percentile for both the quantitative and verbal sections.

However, I just checked the updated percentiles today and realized that my 44Q is now a 61% - a 7% decline in the past 2 years. Now my previous concerns have resurfaced. I plan to apply to business schools in fall 2014 and am aiming at the top 10 programs.

I have a 3.75 undergrad GPA in Economics and will have ~5 years work experience in corporate finance. How detrimental will the low quant score (and now much lower percentile) be to my overall application and admissions success? Do I significantly improve my chances by retaking the GMAT?

B schools have preferences; they don't have hardwired filters for the GMAT score. They will not reject your application on a single criteria - Q less than 80%.
That said, you will not improve your chances of getting in by retaking GMAT and getting a higher score but you will reduce your chances of getting rejected by improving your score. I hope you understand the difference. There are some basic parameters they judge you on - your GMAT score, your GPA, your experience etc. If you are severely lacking in one or more of those, there is a good chance of a red mark on the app. If you are slightly lacking somewhere, they will be wary but they will give you a chance. If you are excelling in all, that's not a green mark - then they move on to your essays, interviews etc. You must excel in those too.

In my opinion, improving your Q to 80%ile will make it easier for them to consider you but they will still consider you even if you don't retake since overall 710 is their average score. A higher quant score will improve your chances (though not drastically) since there won't be anything in your app that will make them uncomfortable. But even with a higher score, you will have to work very hard on your essays and interview to get through. So it all depends on how ambitious you are - if you want to leave no stone unturned in your drive to get to a top school, you may want to retake - if you feel you wouldn't have the time to study much, you can apply as it is and you will still have a good chance of getting through if your essays and interviews are exceptional.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 710 GMAT But Quant Percentile Fell - Need to Retake? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 21:19
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ds17 wrote:
Hello,

B schools have preferences; they don't have hardwired filters for the GMAT score. They will not reject your application on a single criteria - Q less than 80%.
That said, you will not improve your chances of getting in by retaking GMAT and getting a higher score but you will reduce your chances of getting rejected by improving your score. I hope you understand the difference. There are some basic parameters they judge you on - your GMAT score, your GPA, your experience etc. If you are severely lacking in one or more of those, there is a good chance of a red mark on the app. If you are slightly lacking somewhere, they will be wary but they will give you a chance. If you are excelling in all, that's not a green mark - then they move on to your essays, interviews etc. You must excel in those too.

In my opinion, improving your Q to 80%ile will make it easier for them to consider you but they will still consider you even if you don't retake since overall 710 is their average score. A higher quant score will improve your chances (though not drastically) since there won't be anything in your app that will make them uncomfortable. But even with a higher score, you will have to work very hard on your essays and interview to get through. So it all depends on how ambitious you are - if you want to leave no stone unturned in your drive to get to a top school, you may want to retake - if you feel you wouldn't have the time to study much, you can apply as it is and you will still have a good chance of getting through if your essays and interviews are exceptional.

Karishma,

Thanks very much for the sincere and candid response. You have calmed my uneasy mind.
Re: 710 GMAT But Quant Percentile Fell - Need to Retake?   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 21:19