Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

710 GMAT... Q50 V36

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
WE: Web Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 03:12
Firstly, thanks to the gmat club founders and members. This is a great place to learn all the practical factors of the GMAT.

Materials used:

(1) MGMAT Prep strategy guides (only quant)
(2) OG 12
(3) MGMAT CATs (I recommend this to anyone who needs to get the feel of the exam)
(4) Princeton Review Verbal Guide ( Not sure of its rank, but I used it)
(5) MGMAT Adv Quant.

Preparation Details:

Took a date (April 18) in December itself. Started prepping in February. Quant was never an issue for me(I obtained 93% in CAT without any preparation, so no issues with quant).

Total hours with the 5 MGMAT Strategy guides: 25 - 30 hours (Excluding the time for OG problems)
Critical Reasoning and Reading comprehension didnt need preparation. Spent a day learning SC principles and started solving OG verbal problems.

Completed the syllabus and OG12 two weeks before the test, signed up for MGMAT CATs and relaxed my preparation. I spent one week with MGMAT Advanced quant and the week before the exam just taking one CAT a day.

My MGMAT CAT Scores:

MGMAT CAT 1 - 690
MGMAT CAT 2 - 750
MGMAT CAT 3 - 680
MGMAT CAT 4 - 720
MGMAT CAT 5 - 680
MGMAT CAT 6 - Had to end the test quickly, got 51 in quant.

My average score was 706 which is pretty close to my final 710.

Didnt take GMAT Prep ( I know, I know.. Who does that?, If you knew me, you wouldnt be surprised)

Exam Day - 1 (Yes, there were two though I had one attempt)

Name order didnt match passport. GUYS THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE !

US organizations recognize name parts as first, middle and last names. Indian passports recognize it as Family and Given names. So, while registering you ll find the family name and given name prompts in brackets for Indian passport holders. But you shouldnt just copy the name as in the passport. Call their cust care and they ll tell you how to convert it to US splitting. Though you might have an indian middle name, you might not have it as per their rules. My Family name was "X" and given name as "Y Z". After conversion, my first name was "Z Y" (Notice the change in the order) and last name "X" and the middle name feild was empty.

So, NOT Allowed for the exam. They sent a scan of my passport to their program coordinator and he/she updated my name in 24 hrs. Of course, I lost my 250$. ("forfeit" in cust care exec's words. for some of us, its a months salary!)

Exam Day - 2 (Two days after Day 1)

Before I begin, kudos to Pearson Vue Hyderabad. Its not an easy task to create an examination favouring environment to such extent in Hyderabad. I actually had better concentration than at home. (No, I dont live under a metro station)

So, checked in, palm vein, lockers, rules etc etc. You know the drill. Plus, I saw another guy with the same name problem not allowed for the exam.

They notified us that effective 2009, the breaks have been reduced from 15 mins to 8 mins (Wonder why I didnt come across that).

Did my essays and went for quant. As expected, questions got super tough at the end. It was cool but I was pressed exactly against time(10 mins, 5 ques left, 8 mins 4 ques left and so on).

Took a break and went for verbal. RC was surprisingly easy. And heres the lucky part - The one boring RC essay passage that every candidate has to face was easy. Why? IT WAS AN ANALYSIS OF MY DAY-TO-DAY WORK ! Took two minutes for the passage plus the three questions(Felt like GMAC took the passage from ma mind). 10 ques later, Head started to ache.. so cudnt do my best on verbal. Probably because I didnt get enough sleep the previous night (I know.. I know... Who does that? )

GMAT survey.. clicks... types... And the score.

710 - Q50 , V36

The test adminstrator looked surprised (Probably didnt expect 700+ from a guy who got his name wrong)

Anyhow, Final recommendations:

(1) Take MGMAT CATs. They ll get you used to the mind sucking exam (feel free to substitute the letter "s" in "sucking" with any letter of your choice).

(2) MGMAT Quant guides .. Buy them.. (They ll take you from "What are numbers" to "Substraction of 4 digit no.s with unknown digits")

(3) If you are an Indian passport holder, before you register at mba.com for a GMAT appointment, call the cust care to confirm how your name must be split into their feilds, Apparently, this happens a lot.

Anyhow, I am pretty satisfied with ma score and am not planning to take GMAT again.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Stanford GSB - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 07:26
Awesome score! Congrats!

What do you think of the MGMAT Adv Quant book? Does it go beyond what is tested on the GMAT? Or is it a good book for people looking to score high on quant?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 08:06
Congratulations to you for your achievement. Good luck during the applications process.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 19:27
Expert's post
Congratulations on you great score! And the situation with your name at the center is something for others to keep in mind.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 20:50
Hi
Congrates for clearing 700+bench mark.

Could you please share your verbal strategy?
and what was your accuracy level in verbal (Sc,CR,RC)?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 21:12
Congratulations for your score and all the best for applications!

WAR (Hard Work) is the only truth that i know. And, i stand by the truth !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 21:38
Congrats on the 700+ score. Mind telling us about how helpful the MGAMT advanced quant book was useful in your preparation.

BTW point noted about the names, it is an issue indeed at times with the testing centres.

This time its personal..

Intern
Intern

Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 09:46
MGMAT Advanced Quant was a great book but not sure how much it helped in my final GMAT in terms of "syllabus". But the book has practice sets at the end with continous tougher questions which will help you with the final exam. Because the Mock tests seem to lack tough problems and lose accurancy above Q49 or Q51.

So if you are good in Quant, your secont half of actual GMAT Quant will be different from mock. I got Q51 in 5 out of 6 MGMAT tests with 5 - 7 mins left after every exam. In my actual test, I was pressed against time and ended up with Q50. So, practicing the MGMAT Advanced quant will help you with this second half.

Just as additional info my tough GMAT questions were tough in terms of "interpreting" rather than solving.
pitzzz wrote:
Awesome score! Congrats!

What do you think of the MGMAT Adv Quant book? Does it go beyond what is tested on the GMAT? Or is it a good book for people looking to score high on quant?
Intern
Intern

Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 09:53
I wasnt the best at verbal. But when solving OG, i kept a track of how many I got right. In CR I got 80% right, in TC 75% and in SC 66%. This told me I had tremendous scope to improve in SC but I didnt have much time. So, I proceeded to mock tests.

In my exam for the first 15- 20 questions, i took my time and concentrated on every question. and as the exam proceeded I started concentrating less in SC questions (Because given my conentration,I had 34% chance of gettin it wrong).
sandeeepsharma wrote:
Hi
Congrates for clearing 700+bench mark.

Could you please share your verbal strategy?
and what was your accuracy level in verbal (Sc,CR,RC)?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 11:26
Congrats on the 700+ score

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 13:36
Congrats on your score !

One question - is it necessary to go through the MGMAT advanced quant guide ? Many ppl say it's simply too difficult and unnecessary

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 04:45
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
Congrats on your score !

One question - is it necessary to go through the MGMAT advanced quant guide ? Many ppl say it's simply too difficult and unnecessary

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

That depends on how much you are scoring in yout CATs. I was scoring Q49 without it.To me, the problem sets at the end of the book helped more than the lessons.

As I said, if you are getting Q49-51 in mock tests, get this book and solve one problem set everyday. GMAT stress and toughness varies significantly from mock tests after you cross a certain level of toughness and you must get used to it. Also, the book has good POE and guessing strategies.

All the best !
Re: 710 GMAT... Q50 V36   [#permalink] 02 May 2012, 04:45